We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Slipping Cuts on Popup

I re-did this file four times and cut it four times before giving up and cutting it by HAND!  Whew first time I've had to do that since my Zing Air arrived.  This file was cut just after changing to a new blade.  On the same day I cut two other much more complicated popups with no problems.  I cannot understand what happened to make this file slip so.  Cutting started out on the right side correctly.  Each cut to the left slipped higher and higher.   My mat was not super sticky but sticky enough to cut everything else that day, and the paper was taped down too.  Is there something inherently wrong on the file that I can't see?
Member 30818

Comments

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,290
    I don't see any issue with the pcs file
    It a little difficult to work out the MTC the are quite a few layers I'm not sure which one you used when cutting
    do you have a photo of the card with the cutting went wrong
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • CharoCharo Member Posts: 678
    When cutting I used the PCS cut and fold lines files and the reg marks.
    I'm sorry I got so irritated with the slipping I trashed all four ruined cuts.  I guess this one will be a mystery.
    Member 30818
    I thought that might be the case I do the same scrunch it up and bin it in disgust

I changed you mtc file a little I moved all the what i thought were pre-designing components or stuff that not needed to another page leaving only what I think is required to print and cut
     Keyboard Birthday Keith MOD1.mtc

I too would get carried away designing and have shapes on shapes and more and more layers then in a video Sandy suggested using other pages to do addition design work and then copy them into the project page and so keep your project clear of those items
    it also has the advantage of having those components as a backup should you mess it up on your project page
    Also labelling layers in terms you understand helps me understand what is what should loose track of what i was doing or I come back to use the file again later

But everyone works in different way what works me might not suit your way of working

it difficult to determine what went wrong
    a cut the begins aligned and then drifts further and further out of alignment is often cause by something slipping

if the cut was whole offset that would suggest the a reg mark issue 
    Did you leave the reg mark layer visible during the whole process ?

Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • CharoCharo Member Posts: 678
    I did have the reg marks on all the time.  First time around I created the reg marks AFTER importing PCS files; thought maybe that was the problem.  Did it over creating reg marks first; no difference.  
    Separating design stuff to another page makes a much cleaner file however.  I read a while back that takes more space so I thought maybe it wasn't a good idea as I am collecting an awful amount of files.
    I got so frustrated with this file I decided I didn't ever want to see it again which is why it took me a while to write about the problem.  I understand why files slip (I think) most I don't understand why THIS one did.
    Oh well.  Card is in the mail.  It took a ton of black ink too and I don't think I'll do that again.  Easier on this one maybe to glue black cardstock as black ink takes a long time to dry.
    Live and learn.  Thanks for looking @Crazy_Mr_Zing .

Member 30818
    have multiple copies of the texture/image content would increase the file size but once you design is complete and final you could always delete those extra pages
    Though I find being so organised is easier said than done
  • leslie6111leslie6111 Member Posts: 2,366
    The file looks fine to me. I emboss the fold line first as a rule, if you cut first then the embossing tip might get caught and also skew the cut. But, It just might be time to resticky your mat if  your mat clean on bottom and not warped and the speed slow enough.

• SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,372
    Is there any chance the mat was inserted whereby either the far left or far right pinch wheel was half on / half off the mat?  That would cause it to happen. The other possibility is that there was a sticky spot on the underside of the mat that caught on the grit shaft and skewed the mat a bit.  However, in both cases I would have expected more of a rotation skew versus just an up/down skew.  That's usually an issue with cutting speed or the blade being over exposed or something else like that.  But if other cuts at the same settings were fine, then I'm not really sure.
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit
    Need help with your KNK? Visit this link: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest KNK / MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!