We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Zing Air Stops Cutting

CharoCharo Member Posts: 575
Now what is the matter with my machine?  It has stopped twice within the last week before cutting was completed.  One was cutting on letter size paper, the last on 12 x 12 paper, both aligned on the mat where they're supposed to be and nowhere near the left hand cutting limit.  One was kind of complicated but I've cut many more complicated things.  The last was a simple templatemaker envelope.  All cutting is being done at 15 speed.  Now what please??  
Member 30818

Comments

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,653
    Did it just stop or stop and go back to the home position

Does the data finish sending or does it get stuck on flushing buffers

no stay nodes off to the side ?
    Were you watching to see that it didn't go over to that left button
    It frustrating usually this sort of think happen when you not watching
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • CharoCharo Member Posts: 575
    It just stopped.  The data got stuck on flushing buffers.
    No stray nodes.  
    Knife went nowhere near the left button; was about 4 inches from left edge of 12 inch paper; maybe two inches from left on the letter size paper.
    I happened to be watching the machine both times cutting stopped.  I don't trust the machine to leave it unattended!
    Member 30818
    Are you using usb or bluetooth , Windows or MAC  to my knowledge the stalling at flushing buffer issue is a communication issue or that there is too much data for the zing to cope with (usually a highly detail pattern)
    Might have to wait to Sandy Drops by
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    I guess I am using a bluetooth connection now, as I had to go wireless when rearranging my craft room.  So bluetooth has more communication issues than USB I guess and that's why I'm getting the flushing buffer issue?   I got that a lot even on USB but it didn't cause the cutter to stop in the middle of a project.  And these were simple files.  I have noticed the bluetooth is not as fast as the USB was; grrr.
    Member 30818
    Ideally I think the buffer should flush the new data gets sent and the zing should continue but sometimes something seem to go wrong

I just had a thought is the USB set to go into power save mode that has cause issue in the past

I gave up on bluetooth due to issue with the dongle I eventually worked out that there was a manufacturing flaw with the dongle , There was a blob of solder that would touch the metal usb socket on my pc if I pushed the dongle fully in this would cause the dongle not to work properly
    was easily fix but i had since brought a 6 foot USB cable and found USB a better option for me 

I recently had to reorganise and compact my space leaving no suitable large space for my zing this lead to my long planned construction of a hmm think i call it a zing workstation . basically a box the zing inside with mat support tables front and back it has lids so i can use the space for a worktop (space to stack junk lol)  when not in use  .  it's all made out of old kitched cabinet and junk from the shed
    I think I got a little out of control are it 1200mm x 650mm
    ever since i got the zing i had the habit of dumping junk behind it which i would then have to move to be able to use the zing
  • leslie6111leslie6111 Member Posts: 2,320
    edited July 24
    Your cut file might be too large for your computer to handle as well. There is a data throttle setting that can be adjusted, you might want to search the manual or forum or contact Sandy. I have the original zing so I do not cut wirelessly with my zing - but this something I have read that can be adjusted.

• SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,012
    Try this as a test. Remove the blade holder, so that you're only cutting "air" and not wasting any material in case it stops again.  Select your shapes and click  on the wrench icon at the bottom of the screen.  Select Flatten Paths.  Then send it to cut.

Apparently this is the fix when sending extra large files to cut.  I've never had issues with Bluetooth dropping unless I blocked the line-of-sight communication myself.  But since you weren't even in the room, I'm guessing it might have been too much data. 

If it still stops at some point, then you may need to break up your file into two parts and have them cut separately. Make sure you use the same origin for the second cut and you're in WYWIWYG mode. 
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Air
    Need help with your KNK? Visit this link: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    KNK / MTC Videos: http://bit.ly/1kmAcoO
    Latest KNK / MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
    Hi everyone.  Crazy M. Z said ideally the buffer should flush and then cutting should re-start.  That has NEVER happened when my Zing Air stopped....it just stayed stopped and the buffer never finished flushing either.  @SandyMcC the trim on the front of my piano card that wouldn't cut (problem posted under PCS) was the first one that stopped cutting for no good reason.  I didn't think that was a very complicated file but maybe it is.  Right now I can't remember what design I was cutting on the second one.  
    Now about bluetooth....you know I don't know a lot about computer workings.  What exactly is the sight line between bluetooth and the Zing?  My computer sits on the floor and my zing on a table top.  I don't know how they can ever "see" each other.  I do know I much preferred cutting with the USB but I would have to have a 12-foot cord to reach from computer around cabinets to the back of the zing.  I have an idea there is a limit to the length of USB cord:  is that correct?  
    I haven't done Sandy's test yet but am printing off the instructions.  That is an interesting fix.
    Member 30818
    edited July 24
    Well I tend to agree most times if the flushing buffer appear mid cut the cut will fall over more often than not
     I notice a one or to occasions that it recovered and continued to cut

Blue tooth is a radio signal so line of sight would be a direct line from the dongle to the zing if there was a clear pass the communication would be the best
    any object that signal has to pass through tend to degrade that signal .
    some object maybe even block the signal so the signal has to bound back and around further degrading the signal

Yes there is a limit to how long the Usb cable can be I'm not sure what the limit is and the quality of the cable would also pay a part
    I wasn't sure it the 6 foot one would work until I tried it

Maybe Sandy or KNK could advice on the maximum Usb cable recommended for the zing
    Google seem to suggest the Max limit for a Usb2 cable is 16 feet 5 inches and a maximum of 2 cable join together
    Thanks @Crazy_Mr_Zing.  Now that you explained line of sight for bluetooth there is no blockage between my computer and the zing.  
    @SandyMcC Do you know the maximum USB cable length recommended for the Zing?  I would love to be able to go back to the cable...
    Member 30818
    edited July 25
    I think you could try this one.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-USB-2-0-Cable-Male/dp/B00BCWALHM/ref=sr_1_1?srs=2528919011&ie=UTF8&qid=1501020957&sr=8-1&keywords=usb+cable

It's 16 feet and it appears to be high quality.  If it causes random cutting errors, then I will reimburse you the cost since I'm recommending it.  That being noted, your Zing probably stopped for a different reason other than using Bluetooth... since you said there was no blockage. 
    Sandy McCauley
    @SandyMcC Thank you so much for taking the time to find a 16-foot USB  cord for me.  No need for you to reimburse if it doesn't work but that was a very generous offer.  It's been too hot to think lately so I haven't been doing much of anything....no cutting, no designing, just survival mode I guess.
    Member 30818
    You're welcome!  And I understand about the heat!
    Sandy McCauley