We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Cricut vinyl on vehicles

staylor381staylor381 Member Posts: 3
Not sure if there is already a thread I tried searching for it and found nothing. Anyway, i was wondering if you can put cricut vinyl on the painted portion of a vehicle? I understand that the sun and elements can make the color fade after while but it's only temporary anyway; its decals they are made for changing all the time anyway right?

Comments

• micki542micki542 Member Posts: 618
    edited July 23
    My husband put 4x4 in black vinyl on his truck over 5 years ago and it still looks as good as when he put it on. Don't know if their vinyl was different back then.

• staylor381staylor381 Member Posts: 3
    I thought worse case I can take it off of it looks terrible my fear is paint coming off with it or worse
  • GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,374
    edited July 25
    I don't think I would put vinyl on the paint.  I haven't tried it.  But you know it will be fine to put the vinyl on the rear window or a side window.  Can't hurt the glass.
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,462
    Hard not to put it on paint if its a bumper sticker. Vinyls meant for car decals don't eat the paint, and therefore that is what I would use.
  • GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,374
    edited July 26
    Now that's a good point, Liz!  Vinyl made for use as car decals has adhesive that will not damage the paint on a car.  I know that regular vinyl can leave a lot of adhesive on the car over time.  We've all seen a car driving around with the remains of a tattered vinyl sticker on it, and a big brown blotch where the sticker has deteriorated, but the adhesive was still there, looking decidedly nasty. 

@staylor381, I didn't have much luck searching for "car decal vinyl", but I did come across this message on the SignWarehouse site.  It has some interesting info on auto graphics and talks about several different types of films you can use.  Probably the one they mention that is more or less familiar, is Oracal.  They mention 651, 751, 951, and 975.  And they talk about applying these to the side of a car, i.e.; directly to the paint job.

https://blog.signwarehouse.com/basic-guide-vinyl-vehicle-graphics/
  • staylor381staylor381 Member Posts: 3
    That was a good read and really helpful. like you I been searching for the info on the web for weeks now forums was the last thing I could think of.
  • CliffordSmithCliffordSmith Member Posts: 1
    Yes these sayings are rally helpful , from here people who are confused in choosing the right vehicle wrap for their vehicle. From here they can get to know what and which type of wrap is suitable for them.