We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Picking an image to resize or move

charlianncharliann Member Posts: 2
I'm new to MTC.  In other programs I've used, I just click on something to pick it or draw a box around it.  When I try to draw a box around something and I see the blue lines, as soon as I release the box it disappears.  And when I open a shape it doesn't have any box around it as it shows in the demos.  I'm totally confused and can't even get started.  How do I choose something to resize or move it?  Thanks

Answers

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,806
    edited July 23
    If you working with a file from the gallery or a one of berryone's files
    chances are the layers have been locked
    to unlock click the lock at the bottom of the layer bar and select unlock all

you could also unlock the layers individually by clicking on the lock in each layer

What cutter do you have ?
    this is a link to the zing manual which includes chapter on make the cut http://www.iloveknk.com/support/zing/

the user manual contains links to video at the beginning of some chapters
    for example this one on resizing

if you have another knk cutter there user manuals are available from their support pages http://www.iloveknk.com/support/ 
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,462
    @charliann - this is one of the most dramatic differences between Make The Cut! a vector image creation for cutting program and any other raster image editing program. Make The Cut! is designed to take a raster image and then turn it into a cutting path - with vector information- for a cutter to understand. As above, once you have a shape on the mat, you can select it by clicking on the appropriate layer on the right side, then expand and click the shape. Or mouse on the shape and click. You cannot click and drag to draw and select a portion of an object or shape - which is the appropriate lingo for what ends up on the mat in Make The Cut! if the shape is something like a rectangle with a raster image in it, like this, note the dotted grey borders:

In order to resize a shape like this, click it, and then use the CORNER handles to make a proportionate resize. If you cannot select the image at all, then likely the layer is LOCKED...look at the Layer Panel on the right side and turn the closed eye to an open eye to unlock.

In the example above, the cartoon character is composed of individual shapes brought together to make him up. Each one of those shapes can be selected and manipulated in multiple ways, by clicking on the shape in the layer panel or clicking on the shape on the image on the mat.

If I wanted to manipulate the individual berries in the raster image above, when I imported and Pixel Traced the image into MTC, I would have to adjust the Trace Settings options in order to segregate those shapes out of the image.

I see that you have only been a member here for a few hours, perhaps you might want to explore one of the User Manuals for Make The Cut!. This is the one I reference all the time, start with Chapter 3.

http://www.iloveknk.com/0um/KNKZing/KNKZingwithMTCUserManual.pdf

Oh and what is your cutter?