We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Convert .Studio3 files to .SVG

walyssaawalyssaa Member Posts: 3
I'm considering selling my cut files on Etsy and I'm not completely sure where to start. For one thing I know that not everyone has Silhouette, which is where I design all of my cut files. I'll somehow need to convert them to SVG or other formats and I 1. don't know how to 2. don't know what that means for the person buying my files. I also know Etsy doesn't accept .svg files but they do accept .zip files so I would need to zip my files. No idea where to start!

Comments

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,653
    edited July 23
    What version of SIl STudio do you have and which silhouette cutter

Silhouette Studio Software seems quite restricted when it come to being able distribute your creations in any other format than studio3
    So you would be limited to selling you file to silhouette studio

SVG has become the universal standard for cutting file
    some sites require them to packaged in a zip because svg file can sometime contain malicious code when opening in certain browsers

There is a online converter that will convert studio file to svg but it is not perfect and has a limitation in function
    eg it doesn't convert raster content
    http://ideas-r-us-software.uk/FileConverters/SilhouetteStudioConverter.aspx

There also was a method of using Sil STudio 1.9 or 2.0 design edition not sure if that still works

edit - appear it does not http://forum.make-the-cut.com/discussion/42075/silhouette-design-1-9-question-resolved

Post edited by Crazy_Mr_Zing on
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,367
    @walyssaa - you can convert Studio files to SVG using an online tool as provided by Crazy Mr. Zing. Do make sure that you test each and every conversion, as I haven't been happy with the way some of my studio files converted using that website.

Also know that you cannot sell any creations you may have created using copyright images from the Silhouette store without purchasing appropriate commercial licenses if available.

https://www.silhouetteamerica.com/faq/solution/commercial-licenses-for-download-content
  • walyssaawalyssaa Member Posts: 3
    @Crazy_Mr_Zing Silhouette Studio Designer Edition V3 and a Cameo. How do you zip files?

@Liz_A To check them do I just open them in Silhouette to see if they are the same as before? I am aware of copyright issues. I will only sell what is 100% my creation. I've even purchased licenses to some fonts to be able to do this. 
    edited July 24
    @walyssaa a Zip folder is a compressed archive
    I guess you could think of it  a envelope that contains you files
    to access the file again the file need to be unzipped

On a windows computer select the files right click send to compressed folder you can then rename the folder to suit

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/how-to-zip-files-windows-10

Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,367
    @walyssaa - I would open them in another program, like MTC to see if they look the same there. Or Inkscape.
  • tuicarlostuicarlos Member Posts: 151
    edited July 27
    @walyssaa - If you intend to continue drawing with Silhouette Studio, I suggest you upgrade to the Business Edition V4.1 Beta so you'll be able to save your files as SVG. I'm not familiar with the Etsy but I think that you can upload SVG files. Check this out again!
    Complementing... actually, I never used Etsy. 

Post edited by tuicarlos on
  • micki542micki542 Member Posts: 615
    2.0 stills works. I Have 3. ? On my laptop & 2.0 on my PC. I buy from the store on laptop.Save as Legacy Version 2 put on thumb drive. open in version 2 on pc and save as svg for MTC. It takes some time but it can be done.

edited July 30
    @micki542 - Yes, you're right! However, with so many innovations and improvements made since version 2.0, a better compatibility and much easier to execute commands now more accurate and powerful, I think the suggested upgrade is an excellent investment. Also, if you have the latest version you don’t need any other software to get your project done quickly and easily.

• SassyLady_LisaSassyLady_Lisa Member Posts: 1,105
    edited August 1
    Hahahah, I just saw this info posted above.  Sorry for the duplicate.  I use SSBE alot, but I still use MTC sometimes.  I really wish we had a plugin for the Cameo 3, which is my go to machine these days.

Another option is to buy the upgrade to Business Edition.  Version 4.1 (still in open beta, but I love it) of SSBE is able to save as an .svg (except for silhouette store purchases).  I already had DE so only needed to purchase the upgrade from DE to BE.  If you're interested, I purchased the code on Etsy from Swing Design Studio.  I am not affiliated, just had a good price. :) 
    Loving MTC even more every day!
    @SassyLady_Lisa - Well, of course that you can save any file from your library as SVG without any restrictions but @walyssaa wants to draw and sell her own designs what means not using a purchased design from Silhouette Store and we are helping her on this matter.

If you want to save a purchased design from Silhouette Store as a SVG you only need to trace it again than save it as a SVG without any restriction. It’s up to you using this trick!

• debemacdebemac Member Posts: 202
    I purchased SSBE and I do not see an option to save other than the proprietary file source. I tried to get the beta version and they are all filled up. I checked for an update as mine is 4.0837. I brought in a captured image, traced it and tried to save as an svg. No go. I am doing something wrong or is the version I have not capable of saving this way?  Thank you!!!
    I read that The option to save as svg will be offered in Version 4.1 business edition which is currently in beta

it available for download here https://www.silhouetteamerica.com/software

How to is here
    http://www.silhouetteschoolblog.com/2017/06/silhoeutte-studio-v41-new-features.html
  • MendyRapaCatMendyRapaCat Member Posts: 484
    I was reading someone's blog, not sure who's, that was selling SSBE and she said that it was not an option to save in SVG format but you could open them. Not sure if she is correct or not.
    I love my 24" Blackcat and my Cameo!

Clarifying about saving a purchased design from Silhouette Store as a SVG file.

Only Business Edition has this feature about saving as a SVG file but let me explain:

Current Version: 4.0.1052

· You can open any SVG file from anywhere

· You cannot save any design even a purchased design from Silhouette Store as a SVG file

Open Beta Version: 4.1+ (current version 4.1.163)

· You can open any SVG file from anywhere

· You can save any design created or edited by you as a SVG file without any problem

· You can save a purchased design from Silhouette Store as a SVG file but with an export restriction like dotted lines.

Trick:  To be able to save any purchased design from Silhouette Store as a SVG file without any restrictions you only need to trace the design again and save it as a SVG file.