We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Affinity Designer - My New Toy and my No1 SVG exporter.

Chubby_NinjaChubby_Ninja Member Posts: 49
Hi all, just been playing with Affinity Designer Desktop for Mac, what an app, very easy to use. I have worked out that If you set the document up to be 90DPI and export as an SVG it imports to MTC perfectly, bear in mind I'm using a Mac so it may be slightly different on a Windows PC. Basically I just kept altering the DPI until I got the correct size when importing into MTC, dashed lines import fine and text as curves are clean.

I had another look at illustrator after this and when using Export > Export As... if I turn off Minify and Responsive and set Decimal to 4 I get the correct size. The dashed line from illustrator does not import correctly unlike Affinity Designer whose dashed line imports fine. The problem with the dashed line in Illustrator is it exports the lines as solid part from the corners so you get 4 L shapes and 4 long lines in-between them.

So at the moment I'm shifting towards Affinity Designer as my go to SVG exporter. 

Comments

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,916
    I'll have to check but I think in illustrator you can set if the how the corners meet
    I could be wrong
    I copy and paste  from Illustrator to MTC
    I create a border line and select the border and the cut lines copy and paste to a layer in MTC
    then select the dashed fold line and the border and copy and paste to a new layer in mtc
    use stack to align them
    then discard the border lines

but I don't think then copy and paste works on a Mac
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,132
    About two months ago, I bought both Affinity Designer and Photo.  Besides the extremely low price of both programs, I was very impressed with the resource of free videos, all nicely organized AND very well presented: 

Photo:

Designer:

Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit
    Need help with your KNK? Visit this link: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest KNK / MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
  • PennyPenny Member Posts: 2,036
    SandyMcC said:
    About two months ago, I bought both Affinity Designer and Photo.  Besides the extremely low price of both programs, I was very impressed with the resource of free videos, all nicely organized AND very well presented: 

Photo:

Designer:

Do these work on Windows 10? I have the PagePlusX8 for desktop publishing and have thought about purchasing the other 2. I am still using Win7 Professional.
    Penny in Albuquerque, NM "Not all those who wander are lost." - R.R. Tolkien
    Yes. I use Windows 10 and no problems at all with either program.
    Sandy McCauley
  • Chubby_NinjaChubby_Ninja Member Posts: 49
    edited July 25
    I'll have to check but I think in illustrator you can set if the how the corners meet
    I could be wrong
    I copy and paste  from Illustrator to MTC
    I create a border line and select the border and the cut lines copy and paste to a layer in MTC
    then select the dashed fold line and the border and copy and paste to a new layer in mtc
    use stack to align them
    then discard the border lines

but I don't think then copy and paste works on a Mac

Re: Copy/Paste, Wine doesn't appear to transfer copy/paste info unfortunately.
    Drag & Drop doesn't work either. There are two options in Illustrator with regard to dashes, one is to Preserve Dash Length and Gap, and the neater option is to Align to corners and path ends, adjusting length to fit. I've always had the latter option set.

I've pretty much got Affinity Designer (AD) set up now with styles set for dashed lines coloured red and cut lines coloured blue. I have dashed lines set to 10-10-0-0 dashes, I find the 6-6-0-0 dashes too small and end up almost cutting the paper. I have the snapping set up and a lot of the key shortcuts are the same as Illustrator. I can work pretty quickly in AD now.
    I did a initial test and on Windows copy and paste works between Affinity Designer and Make the Cut
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    I did a initial test and on Windows copy and paste works between Affinity Designer and Make the Cut
    I've started to consider dropping MTC for SCAL because of the lack of a MTC native OS X App, a shame really as MTC is a great program and my partner really likes it but she's on Windows so it doesn't make much difference to her. I'm the R&D Dept so I get the job of designing the bits she sticks together and the boxes she puts them into. I even use C4D to make sure the boxes fit together in 3D.

It's at times like this I really wish I could code, but I appreciate coding isn't easy and takes a lot of time up for the dev's, its practically a blackhole.

It would be awesome if one day someone made a Printer/cutter plugin for Affinity Designer, (AD) now that would be worth buying.

On a side note I like how AD shows measurements for spacing etc. I don't like that AD thinks of all shapes as filled and that you cannot have a default style for new shapes, that’s a bit of a niggle but its easy to apply a style for cut lines and one for dashed lines.

• sandyjsandyj Member Posts: 821
    Interesting.  It looks similar to paint shop pro.
    Just MY opinion, your milage will vary. Like "Andy" but with an "S"
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,554
     I don't like that AD thinks of all shapes as filled and that you cannot have a default style for new shapes, that’s a bit of a niggle but its easy to apply a style for cut lines and one for dashed lines.

When using any of the drawing tools, choose the tool, then set the Fill option to None. It remembers this for the rest of your session. It resets the Fill when you shut down and open again.

Does kind of remind me of Paint Shop Pro, but is missing most of my favourite tools. Also doesn't look like you add plugin effects like you can in PSP.

It would be awesome if one day someone made a Printer/cutter plugin for Affinity Designer, (AD) now that would be worth buying.
    Until recently with most craft/hobby semi/business type cutters a software package was  included with purchase so I guess that made development of such plugins not worth while
    Isn't Paint Shop Pro a raster editing program?  It seems like comparing it to Affinity Photo would make more sense than comparing it to Affinitity Designer, which is a vector program. 
    Sandy McCauley
    I think you could can do vector work with PSP but I've always thought of it as a raster based app. My sister used to swear by it but has since moved on to Adobe products like Photoshop and realised, while PSP was good Photoshop was more suited to her needs as an artist. I did hint to her at Corel Painter which is just sublime but she likes Photoshop now and PSP has been relegated to a dusty corner.

edited July 27

Until recently with most craft/hobby semi/business type cutters a software package was  included with purchase so I guess that made development of such plugins not worth while
    I can see the reason but the homebrew software tries to tie you into their holistic scheme, silhouette is a good example of this software marketing funnel. If you like the idea of that and buy into the marketing stream for convenience that’s fine, but that's not how I work and shifted to MTC from Silhouette because of the import and export options. With a bit more refinement and a native OS X port MTC would be the defacto program in my eyes.

Liz_A said:
     I don't like that AD thinks of all shapes as filled and that you cannot have a default style for new shapes, that’s a bit of a niggle but its easy to apply a style for cut lines and one for dashed lines.

When using any of the drawing tools, choose the tool, then set the Fill option to None. It remembers this for the rest of your session. It resets the Fill when you shut down and open again.

Does kind of remind me of Paint Shop Pro, but is missing most of my favourite tools. Also doesn't look like you add plugin effects like you can in PSP.
    I have styles set now liz_A so its not so much of a glitch, I suppose you have to play around with apps to find the best way to use it for your needs. Now I have the 90DPI setting I can import SVG's with Aplomb lol!
    @Chubby_Ninja ; I agree some cutting machine makers appear to have very similar business models to the old inkjet printer industry at least silhouette allows the use 3rd party software
    I guess we shouldn't complain it was those business models that led to the creation of make the cut

I'm sure there would be a fair percentage of electronic cutter owners that don't even know what their machine would be capable of given better software and consider their machine  much like a electronic bigshot machine