We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Cameo 3 won't cut through vinyl paper backing! Help!!!!!

stef613stef613 Member Posts: 2
I have literally tried everything possible from my own thoughts, to rec's from some facebook groups I'm in to setting it as a ratchet instead of auto, etc....nothing works! The dang thing either cuts the vinyl but pulls it apart OR cuts (what looks like how it should) but won't cut through the backing paper. I have only used my machine like 3 times. I tried cutting some sticker paper as well, this cuts but same thing, the cut isn't going all the way through, so it's all sloppy and messed up once weeded. PLEASE help me! I'm still fairly new, but I've got like 3 or 4 family gifts that are completely held up....not to mention I'm going through so much vinyl trying to get this right...so frustrating!

Comments

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,653
    edited July 19
    I don't know much about cameo
    First thought is are you using the mat as if your wanting to cut thought the vinyl backing sheet you would need the mat to hold things in place

Cutting setting is a balancing act just enough blade length and pressure to cut through but not to much the the blade if dragging on the mat or in mat-less cutting pushing the backing sheet of the back of the vinyl

When determining cutting settings for a new material it better to just use a small design or even a basic shape like a star so you not using up your materials
    Once you've found the setting that works be sure to note it down include the detail of the material Type,Brand,Weight etc
    A dedicated notebook for cutting settings is a good idea some people even include a small swatch of the material

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • stef613stef613 Member Posts: 2
    omg yes! lol, i have used it before on vinyl and it was fine...actually, i dont even think i had to change any of the settings once i clicked auto blade...now NOTHING i do is working...i am using the cutting mat. Interestingly enough, if i do a test cut, it works...once i do my words, doesn't work
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,653
    Have you tried to reduce the cutting speed
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • jesprattjespratt Member Posts: 40
    Why are you wanting to cut through the paper backing and not just the vinyl?
  • Chubby_NinjaChubby_Ninja Member Posts: 25
    Isn't the whole point of the backing paper with vinyl sheet to remain intact and only the vinyl is cut so that the letters are easily peeled off of the backing sheet. It doesn't make sense to me that you would try and cut through the backing sheet as well
  • GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,348
    @Chubby_Ninja, think about making stickers.  You print a cute picture on vinyl, then you do a PnC on the design to create a sticker.  Whoever gets the sticker is the one who peels off the backing sheet.  :)