We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

old cricut, newer operating system, can they work together?

I am probably the only person that thinks once you have something and it still works, why change? I have an older cricut, still works great and I love my make the cut software. I have an old, old, laptop that I must leave plugged in and sometimes it freezes on me, that I only use for transfering my make the cut designs to in order for my cricut to work.  It is my understanding that the newer windows system won't work with the make the cut and the cricut. My son installed on my computer a virtual desktop with the xp operating system, but I am not sure how to make this all work. It sounded like he was going to have to uninstall my working make the cut software to install on the virtual desktop. That worried me so I didn't have him do it. Has anyone else been able to make this work? I really don't want to have to get a different program that will work with the cricut, I love make the cut.

Answers

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,527
    @arpasic - you have heard incorrectly. Your old version of Make The Cut! will work on a Windows 10 computer. You would need to copy the complete folder found at c:\Program Files\Make The Cut!\ onto a thumb drive or cd, and then copy the folder into the c:\Program Files (x86)\ folder on the new computer. Actually you could even just use the thumb drive to run this version of Make The Cut! and install the new version to design your files. Close the new version and then open the old version from the thumb drive to cut. Try that.

There aren't any other programs that work with your Cricut other than the ProvoCraft ones. Sorry to say I don't think those have improved at all.
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,888
    I think you might have misunderstood
    It's the newer version of make the cut the won't work with the Cricut
    Make the Cut Version 4.10 or before will work with the Cricut
    A few people have confirmed the older versions work on there windows 10 machine

As you mention your son installing MTC on a virtual desktop
    Do you have the installer for the Old version of MTC that worked with your circut ?
    If so it would be possible to just install it
    It also possible to have both the Latest version of make the cut and the Old version installed on the same PC
    Installing Multiple Copies of Make the Cut Software

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files