We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

MTC and MacBook Pro 2017

tmaldotmaldo Member Posts: 3
Does MTC work with the new MacBook Pro 2017?

Answers

• MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 8,967
    I see you have joined the forum many years ago, but not really shared or posted much before so first - we probably need to clarify a couple of things.

First, have you been using MTC previously on a Mac computer? If you have, then you know that MTC on a Mac computer is not a Mac based OS program.  It is a PC program ported over to the Mac via a simulation program called Wine.  Also, MTC on a Mac does not work with all cutters - it only works with the KNK earlier product lines like the Maxx, Maxx Air, and Original Zing, and Zing Orbit.  It can also be used with a Silver Bullet cutter line using the KNK Maxx plugin.  it will not work with other cutters from a Mac.

Second, I haven't seen anyone share yet that they have gotten a new MacBook Pro 2017 so I don't know that it has been "tested" with that new Mac yet.  It will work with the present OS that is out for Mac computers so in theory, I would think it SHOULD work BUT I don't know if they have anything like the Windows 10 Hi-Resolution monitor problems that might show up with it.  We won't know until someone tries it and says yea or nay I am afraid.
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
  • tmaldotmaldo Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for responding. I just got the Mac so know nothing about compatibility w/ MTC & I'm a newbie w/ Macs. I have a Window 7 laptop w/ MTC & a Bluetooth KNK. If MTC worked on MAC, I thought I'd have a back up in case my laptop died. It seems like MTC hasn't been updated for awhile. I use it everyday & love it. I do use this forum cause I always find answers to my questions by reading posts. I don't post cause I'm not an MTC expert. I only know the minimum info, just enough for what I do. Thanks for sharing your info. 
  • tmaldotmaldo Member Posts: 3
    Oh, I forgot to mention that I bought the Mac in 2017. It's probably a 2016. Thanks. 
  • MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 8,967
    Then, you should be able to use the MTC for the Mac out and use it on your Mac computer with the KNK Cutter.  You can download the MTC for Macs on their homesite and follow the install directions EXACTLY and give it a try.  You can use the registration code you have from your PC install.  Give it a go and see how it goes for you.  Nothing really to loose since you already have a cutter that it should work with, MTC, and the Mac computer.  Couple of notes - because it is a PC program "ported" to a Mac under Wine - there are a few "quirks."  A search of the forum here should turn up most of the know quirks or concerns previously discussed here.  One thing I found easier to do is to have a MTC folder on my desktop and save files there as finding them in the "default" location is very cumbersome at best.
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)