We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Cameo 3

DukeFanDukeFan Member Posts: 1,650
Is MTC compatible with the new Silhouette Cameo 3? I'm still using my original Cameo, but I know it will give out eventually.

Comments

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,881
    edited July 10
    The Plugin for the Silhouette Cutters has not been update and appears there are no plans to do any updates
    The Simple Answer would the it is not compatible
    Although some people have reported the MTC will cut to the Cameo but the position of the cut is offset also the use of the 2nd tool holder is not be supported

I read that Silhouette Has made useful improvements to Sil Studio in Version 4
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • DukeFanDukeFan Member Posts: 1,650
    Well, that stinks.
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,527
    SCAL is compatible with the newer Silhouettes.
  • DukeFanDukeFan Member Posts: 1,650
    I know...I just don't want to have to learn a whole new program.
  • SheriSheri Member Posts: 534
    Shoot I thought I would get the cameo 3 as my expression is wearing out. Sounds like it's not to compatible with MTC. I haven't been on this site for awhile and have been trying to catch up on some reading. What is up with the issue of no updates in a long time and no plans in the future for updates. Usually Andy is on top of things. Also are there not any webinars any more?
    Sheri said:
    Shoot I thought I would get the cameo 3 as my expression is wearing out. Sounds like it's not to compatible with MTC. I haven't been on this site for awhile and have been trying to catch up on some reading. What is up with the issue of no updates in a long time and no plans in the future for updates. Usually Andy is on top of things. Also are there not any webinars any more?
    There has been no official announcement about MTC or PCS
    Support is still provided via the support ticket system

Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • samalesamale Member Posts: 14
    I wouldn't expect any further development MTC has been left to long surecutalot supports nearly every mainstream cutter or offer exports in a format compatible with manufacturers software .
    Would be good to see more development of pcs it has a niche in the market its only competition is a very basic software Pop-up Card Designer by tamasoft
    would I be better off purchasing the cameo V2 instead of 3 so I can use make the cut?
    What material do you wish to cut and what type of project do you want to make ?

I think Silhouette have discontinued the Cameo 2 it doesn't appear to be on their webpage

Choosing a new cutter based on if it cut directly from and is fully compatible with MTC quite limits your choice

I mostly cut vinyl to put on walls, tile, Windows etc.
    Is there a Function you use in make the cut the is not included with silhouette studio basic edition
    If you working with Basic Shape and Fonts maybe silhouette studio basic edition that included with purchase of the cutter is all you need
    If your MTC files are plain cutout shapes may be you can export as png from MTC and trace into silhouette studio basic edition

I guess the point I'm making is you should ask yourself do you need to stick with mtc
    Explore your software options

if you want the ability to import SVG file you have options
    1, pay to upgrade silhouette studio basic edition to a version that allows that
    2, buy Sure Cut a Lot

You could Download Silhouette Studio Basic edition and Sure Cuts a Lot Demo
    and Try them out
    Sandy has produced great user manuals for Sure Cuts a Lot
    Thank you for all the information. I basically just need to have access to any fonts as I do with MTC. I do use the import pixel trace also. MTC is the only software I know anything about. Although I don't know to much about all the functions either. I will read up on the other software you mentioned.
    Both software will have access to the fonts installed on your system

Silhouette studio basic edition has a trace function not that I put much effort into learning it
    but it seemed quite basic But like any trace function it depends on the image you begin with .

With Sure Cuts a Lot you can achieve similar result to MTC trace . the setting in the trace function quite different though

Out of the 2, I think SCAL is more like MTC  in regard to the available functions its just with SCAL some are accessed a different way

I can't comment of the upgrade versions of Silhouette studio - Designer Edition or Business Edition they don't offer free demo's
    I believe they offer addition functions rather than improved functions
    one being the ability to import svg file

• SassyLady_LisaSassyLady_Lisa Member Posts: 1,112
    I have a Cameo 3 and use Silhouette Studio (with purchased upgrade to import SVGs and other design functions) with it.  The newer version of the software is excellent, and I think more intuitive, than than the older versions.  I almost wonder if Andy has gone to work for Silhouette America to make their software so much better. ;)

I still use MTC to trace some things that SS doesn't do as well.  Because I've used MTC for seven years, vs 3 years for SS, I still find it easier.
    I also purchased a CB09 blade holder for the Cameo, which uses replaceable blades.

I decided to learn SS when I purchased a Silhouette Portrait several years ago to do print n cut, and MTC didn't work well for that purpose.  I would design in MTC and then import to SS (with Designer Edition upgrade) to cut.  Over time I learned the SS software and use it frequently now to design as well as cut. 

So, if you want to purchase the Designer Edition upgrade of SS to import SVGs that you create in MTC, the Cameo 3 would be a great purchase.  The cheapest place to buy the upgrade is Swing Design, as Silhouette charges much more.

If you don't really want to learn SS or pay for the upgrade to import SVGs, there are a limited number of Cameo 2 machines still around for sale.  Blick Art Supplies has the cheapest price currently, but there really aren't a lot of new Cameo 2 machines for sale.  Etsy currently has the cheapest price for a Cameo 3.
    Live Love Craft