We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Can i use cameo 3 for multi color?

hayabusa1208hayabusa1208 Member Posts: 1
Hi there everyone i am new to this forum. I am very interested to start up a tshirt printing business and have been looking at the silhouette cameo 3. so hope someone could point me in the right direction as i have a few questions:

1. can the silhouette cameo 3 print multi color designs? Like soccer team logos etc? because from what i saw on youtube videos.. it's always almost single colors?

2. is using a inkjet printed going to be better in quality compared to using cameo 3 vinyl?

3. what is the next best option to screen printing?

any help or advice will be apprecaited. Thank you

Comments

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,734
    edited June 27
    Firstly as Make the Cut Software has not been updated its not compatible with the Cameo 3 and probably will never be

I think this link and video my provide you with some information of multiple color HTV vinyl where they layer the other over the top of the previous or cut away the previous color to accommodate the next  http://www.silhouetteschoolblog.com/2014/04/multi-color-heat-transfer-vinyl.html

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,421
    @hayabusa1208 - if you are planning on using HTV - heat transfer vinyl, then you likely won't be printing. Most of the popular cutting software programs allow you to create designs with many colours, allow you separate out the colours so you can cut just one colour at a time. Make The Cut! does this, however, your cutter is not supported by Make The Cut! If you are wondering if the free software that comes with your Cameo 3 can do this, yes it can.

For number 2, ink jet printers don't make printed transfers that last very long compared to other processes. I for example have been printing and ironing on tshirt transfers for years, but I wouldn't pay to buy one. I would want something much longer lasting. You might be better off to invest in a dye sublimation ink printer and the proper equipment for that process, which is heat.

Alos, the t-shirt forum a much more active and informed group. You can find them here:

http://www.t-shirtforums.com/ - you will find lots of resources there and answers to your questions.
  • GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,363
    @hayabusa1208, it sounds to me like you need more information before you make any hard decisions.  When I wanted to get started with digital cutting, I simply looked for a large format cutter at a reasonable price.  I found one 30" wide for only $300 and I thought I was on my way.  Only to discover it would only work with one software package that cost $800 for the pro version and $400 for the beginner version.  I was also told by the company that I could not return the cutter because I had purchased it from Amazon, not from the company directly.  So I was stuck with a $300 white elephant.  To this day I have never been able to use it.  So, basically I took 300 dollars and just tossed it out in the street.  Because I didn't do my homework first.

I only told that story so you can appreciate the need for lots of information before you make decisions that can cost you hundreds of dollars.  One thing I can say is that you have found a great forum to ask questions and get some useful answers.  After I found this forum while looking for software for that unfriendly cutter, I learned about and purchased a cutter that actually met my needs, along with reasonably priced, yet powerful and easy to use, software.  So, welcome to the MTC forum.  :smile:

So, you want to make t-shirts and you want to do it as a business.  While some people do wonderful work with heat transfer vinyl, aka HTV, it can be a very taxing way to make shirts.  There can be issues with alignment, layering, and large orders, in terms of consistent production runs.

Also, you can do t-shirts with rhinestones using the same equipment used for HTV shirts.  Again, it is a learning curve to be able to do production runs and learning how to make the rhinestone designs and size them to fit various t-shirts.

Screen printing is somewhat similar to HTV in some respects.  As in issues with alignment and production runs.  Not to mention the inks used can be quite a challenge to work with.  I think that most professional shirt makers have moved on from screen printing and gone to either transfer paper or direct to garment printing.

DTG can be wonderful, but it can also be really expensive.  Those printers and inks can set you back a couple of thousand bucks, depending on the capabilities you need.  Another offshoot of DTG is Dye Sublimation.  Again, it can be expensive to get going with dye sub, because of the printers, the inks, and the special garments you need to be able to print onto.  But if you have the money you can do a lot of beautiful work with dye sub or DTG.

Next to consider is transfer papers.  These will also require a good printer and good inks.  Less costly than DTG or dye sub though.  You'll also need a heat press.  You use your ink jet printer to print onto the transfer paper and then you use that to transfer the ink to the garment using the heat press.

For dye sub, DTG and transfer paper, having a digital cutter is a bonus, but not necessarily a requirement.

For more information on these methods I've mentioned, you can check out a great Facebook group called Teach Me That.  https://www.facebook.com/groups/teachmethat/

Also, there is a gent who has a lot of information on setting up and running a t-shirt business using transfer papers.  His name is Cartess Ross and his site is called T-Shirt Riches.  http://www.tshirtriches.com/
  • GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,363
    edited June 30
    Also, here is an example of the type of setup I'm referring to.  A good printer and heat transfer paper.  The link goes to Coastal Business Supplies.

http://us13.campaign-archive1.com/?u=fa47320d31e8af22f4a8c8b8d&id=cf1accf216&e=150edcd259