We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

having A LOT of trouble with my zing air :(

migutpowermigutpower Member Posts: 24
Hello,

I've been having some trouble with my machine around 2 months ago. I generally cut with glitter cardstock, and I do clean the machine regularly with compressed air at the little nooks to get all the glitter out.

Around 2 months ago, the second cut doesn't seem to align with the first cut, so I bought a pack of 5 blue blades online along with a new blade holder thinking that I might need to replace them. However, it still doesn't seem to work :(...I'm not sure what the problem is.

I find that the lower left hand of the paper cuts the best, and the whole right hand side will not align at all. Therefore, I usually make the cut on the lower left hand first, then I rotate my paper 90 degrees so that I will get another lower left corner to cut. It is tedious work and it's taking a lot of my time.

I'm wondering if it has to do with the roller? I've tried new blades, new blade holders, new mats, everything! I'm not sure what else I can do at this point as everytime after I cut, I have to use my xacto knife and make small tedious cuts which takes even more time...please help!!!! :((((((

Comments

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,529
    @migutpower - "second cut doen't seem to align with the first cut"

Are you sending two cuts to the cutter, or one cut but 2 passes?

What are your pressure settings?
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,529
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,891
    edited June 27
    Not related to this issue But I think it might be a better idea to use a vacuum to clean up the glitter as by using compressed air there's is a possibility of blowing glitter inside the machine where it might cause other issues .

I'm also a little confused by what your meaning but the second cut ?
    So I assume you are meaning you make 2 passes and the second pass does not  align with the first which would indicate that the matt is slightly slipping
    There can be a number of causes
    With the pinch rolled lowering are you able to rotate the mat to the left and right ?
    Post edited by Crazy_Mr_Zing on
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,105
    Typically skewing is the result of the cut settings being used for a particular material.  If a blade is being forced to cut too deep and/or too quickly, "something" has to give and that "something" will be the cutting mat.  It will be forced to slide a bit under one of the pinch wheels. That's why the usual recommendation for mat skewing is to use more passes, lower force, and a slower speed. Basically, approach the cut with less aggression.

Assuming you are using the exact settings that were successful before with the same material and similar files, then read on for another possibility... 

The one time I had skewing suddenly affect my Zing, it was due to dirty pinch wheels and the grit shafts beneath those wheels. Somehow I had managed to get adhesive on them and that was sticking to the mat, causing it to not move smoothly during the cut.  I used a lint-free cloth and some cotton swabs to carefully clean the wheels and the grit shafts with iso-propyl alcohol.  I also had to use some tweezers to pull some stubborn adhesive off the grit shafts.  It took me at least 30 minutes to get them perfectly clean again, but that fixed the problem. 

If you still have issues, post back your settings and also the brand and type of glitter cardstock you're cutting. I'll see if I feel the settings are appropriate based on what I use when cutting the same or a similar cardstock. 

Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit
    Need help with your KNK? Visit this link: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest KNK / MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
  • migutpowermigutpower Member Posts: 24
    Thank you so much for everyone's reply! I really appreciate it!

I'm currently using the recollections brand from Joann/Michaels for all my glitter card stock. I'm cutting at a speed of 13, force of 113, and multicut:2. 

I'll post more details about my problems when my little one starts summer preschool in a couple of days, but I'm trying to make cuts again right now and it seems that when I "lock" the paper in place, I can still move it (even after I've locked it). I'm not sure if it was always moveable, but please let me know if the roller is loose (?).

Many thanks again and I will posting again.

Ok, nevermind, I think it was because the machine was off when I moved it. Now that I've turned the machine on, the mat isn't moving in the locked position anymore.
    Hello, it seems like the mat moved while it was cutting even though it was in the locked position. Please let me know how I can clean the machine. Do I need to take it apart to clean the pieces?
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,105
    No, do not take anything apart. Just remove the mat. And then follow my directions above.  You can manually roll the grit shaft with your fingers to make sure you can clean it where needed.   Always apply the alcohol to the swab or cloth away from the cutter. You don't want to risk spilling the alcohol down into the cutter. 

Is this the exact same material you were cutting in the past without the mat skewing?  Were the shapes the same size or are these larger?
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit
    Need help with your KNK? Visit this link: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest KNK / MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/