We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Cutting on (Avery) Label Sheets

jdarlingjdarling Member Posts: 2
edited June 25 in General
Hi everyone! 

I've recently acquired a used first generation KNK Zing, and have been having a lot of fun with it. :) I've been trying different things, working with different media and even tried printing + cutting (which took a little time to understand how to get it calibrated). However, I have an issue:

I've tried to do internet searches and look at past threads to see if my problem could be troubleshooted. I've seen many mentions of others working with Avery Shipping labels, but I can't seem to get it just right.

There seems to be no shape I can cut smoothly on label sheets (Avery #8165). The blade seems to grab onto the paper and rips it? I do notice the paper has a bit of texture, too. I also have tried Avery's Pres-A-Ply brand (#30605). 

I have tried adjusting the pressure and speed in many variations with no luck.

I want to rule out that my blade may be bad because I'm able to cut Oracal vinyl, Neenah cardstock (thick), and clear full sheet labels (Avery #8665) — all to my liking before and after my attempts to cut label sheets. But would a different type be more appropriate for paper with this type of texture? If so, please let me know what to get.

Otherwise, I am looking for any other options to try! Thank you.

Comments

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,421
    @jdarling - I have cut full sheet Avery labels and another product very similar, and what is key here is the amount of blade tip showing - you should barely even feel it, let alone see it. And very light pressure. Also ensure you are setting the blade tip height correctly. The Avery labels can also give off a fair bit of dust, so watch that that does not get up into the shaft of the blade in the blade holder. I use a small stiff paint brush to clean the tip of the blade in the blade holder when cutting this material.
  • GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,363
    @jdarling, it sounds to me like you may not have a MTC with Zing user manual.  If that is the case, then I highly recommend getting one asap because all the things you've mentioned are covered in the manual from knowing where things will cut on your mat, to the 3 different cutting modes, to pixel tracing images to cut, to editing your vector images and doing precision contour cutting, aka "Print and Cut".  You can download a copy of the user manual from the I Love KNK website, along with more information about using your cutter than you can imagine.  Here is the link.  http://www.iloveknk.com/support/user-manuals/zing-user-manuals/  I generally prefer the PDF version, but there are other versions you can try out too.