We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

KNK Not Cutting Correctly

SammickkSammickk Member Posts: 9
edited June 25 in General
See Pics Whats Going on??   As you can see it starts off ok then gradually gets worse and farther off track the more it cuts and ends a good 1/4" off from where it should connect with where it started..... Any ideas? i've tried quite a few things all with the same result just sometimes its a little better, sometimes its worse. I think this machine is just not going to work out for what I'm trying to do... Also this is Using Print then Cut, it has registration Marks.

Comments

• SawdustSawdust Member Posts: 298
    I am not familiar with that sort of blade holder.
    I am going to put @SandyMcC name in here she has ALL the answers!
    David

I took the Short Bus to school because they told me it was "Faster".
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,575
    edited June 26
    If I remember you have a zing obit which I assume, as you appear to be doing a print and cut your using Scal
    So I'm not sure I can be much help as I don't have the orbit and only limited knowledge of SCAL

A print and cut that begin aligned and be cause by the blade dragging on the mat with cause the mat to slip . check the blade length
    if the mat has cut marks the are not able to be scratched away that means the blade is cutting to deep
    your blade need to be exposed just long enough to cut though the material - any longer and it will dragging on the mat

a too high cut speed can also cause slippage 

too me the the alignment appears get worse as the cut progresses due to the mat slipping ever so slightly

It may help those that know a little more if you can post what you cut setting were speed, force etc
    also what weight cardstock are you cutting
    providing  the file may also be of assistance

if it just regular 160-200gsm cardstock Based on my experience with my zing air and that the zing orbit is an improvement of that
    I would think the zing orbit would be more than capable of cutting this

Have you performed the initial print and cut calibration for SCAL and the ZO ?

Post edited by Crazy_Mr_Zing on
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 6,977
    A few questions:

(1) Which KNK model do you own>

(2) What material are you cutting?

(3) What settings are you using?

(4) Did you follow the directions in the UM on calibrating your KNK for PNC?
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Air
    Need help with your KNK? Visit this link: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    KNK / MTC Videos: http://bit.ly/1kmAcoO
    Latest KNK / MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
  • MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 8,967
    Sandy - I believe this is a followup thread to this one here: http://forum.make-the-cut.com/discussion/45474/help-with-sure-cuts-allot-new-here#latest

In that thread, the OP is using the KNK Zing Orbit and is using SCAL not MTC. 

OP, I really think so as not to confuse or muddy the waters for MTC users, this discussion needs to be taken off of the MTC forum since it does not relate specifically to cutting with MTC or cutting to a MTC supported cutter. There is a KNK support forum, a SCAL support forum, and KNK Facebook group for users of the OPs cutter - all better places to handle the discussion then the MTC support forum. I previously provided you a link to the SCAL forum.  If you need link to the other sites let us know and someone can provide those as well.  While we do answer generic and specific questions not related to MTC here, when it is an ongoing discussion like this one, I think it is better to take it to the sites actually related to the issues and/or software/cutters being used.  Otherwise, it confuses people.
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
  • SammickkSammickk Member Posts: 9
    1. Just bought the KNK Zing Orbit

2.CCNB (clay coated news back recycled cardboard commonly used for small folding cartons) 18pt. WITH a thin Sticker paper on top. Total thickness is .66mm i have a digital caliper and checked it.

3 Use Software Settings and they are speed cut 10 and Pressure 115 (red Blade) offset .30mm overcut 1.00mm using WYSIWYG no multicut

4. Yes followed calibration. I cut out a folding carton on a test sheet on some thin paper and it cut it out perfectly, no problem. 

I just suspect that what I'm trying to cut out is just too hardcore for these types of machines and I will have to just go back to my Accucraft grande Mark2 and just pay out the wazoo everytime I want to cut out a different shape  :(

@crazy Mr Zing: What you say interests me on the blade depth and I will Double check into this...
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,341
    @Sammickk - I think your cutter is having difficulties cutting through this material in one pass - it's struggling and therefore likely causing a shift of the mat or material - taping the edges of the material to the mat may help with that. I would also suggest slightly less pressure and 2 passes. I believe the material you are cutting is similar in consistency to a chipboard which is listed in the Orbit's User Manual at 0.38mm, pressure 80 - being that your material is thicker, adjust accordingly. Recycled materials always tend to be more of a challenge, and often because they are more fibrous - your getting a great cut with your design on thin paper supports that. Also know that KNKUSA has always been very willing to test cut materials, all you have to do is ask and then send them a sample in Florida. They will advise what settings they used to get the best cut on your cutter. Hope that helps! Do know that there are thousands of successful small business owners getting great cuts with their KNK cutters!
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 6,977
    I agree with @Liz_A.  You need to more gently work through a material like that for the accuracy you're seeking. Also reduce the speed.  Start with far more conservative settings... even go to the extremes of 3 passes, much lower force, and much lower speed to see if you can get the cut you need without the mat skewing.  Then you can see if you can work up from there.  
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Air
    Need help with your KNK? Visit this link: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    KNK / MTC Videos: http://bit.ly/1kmAcoO
    Latest KNK / MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/