We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Scaling svg files ?

chrisschriss Member Posts: 34
edited June 12 in General
Hi, With some of my new stencil designs now in Svg file format, what's the best way in scaling them to the right size?

I would like to make designs in A4 and A3 set sizes

Comments

• leslie6111leslie6111 Member Posts: 2,344
    Are you asking how to resize an svg in MTC? You import the svg, select it and then either change the size with the bounding box or by typing it in the width or the height you want it to be. If you keep the dimensions locked they will change proportionally.
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,805
    There is a section in the user manual on resizing and also a video
    I think if you calculated the percentage increase or decrease required using that  method would be a easy way of rescaling your designs 
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • chrisschriss Member Posts: 34
    Ok, Thanks to you both,  Think I've worked it out now...

Because i want to start a stencil selling business, i'm trying to work out what would be the quickest and easiest to scale images...   with each stencil image i might eventually be offering 4 sizes per design..   

Instead of typing in the required image size every time i get a order ,  do you think it would be better if i save my image files on my computer that are already been scaled?      

I'm not really sure how i can save svg files to automatically scale to the required size..  Do i need to use something like illustrator ?     Is this even possible?
    Do i do it with Html ? Open your .svg file with a text editor
    Then change width and height attributes 

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,462
    @chriss - different programs use different interpretations of the SVG file standard. So in some programs the file may open smaller or larger than your intended size. Most designers provide sizing information for their SVG files, understanding this lack of control. Mary at SVGCuts.com for example just illustrates the shapes and provides the width. It would expected that the user understands how to resize an image proportionally in their software program. Given that, I would suggest that you should test your SVG files in the popular cutting programs so that you know how they are going to behave and can anticipate what your customers may experience. Trust me they will communicate with you when the files they buy don't cut at the right size. :)
    edited June 14
    Thanks Liz ,  I was originally thinking of just selling image files but my plan now is to actually start selling Mylar stencils..   I own a maxx air Machine so will be using the make the cut software...   
    a google search of batch resizing svg files might be worth a look and further research  if you have many files to resize

Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • leslie6111leslie6111 Member Posts: 2,344
    You can export the resized svg from MTC as a new svg as well. You can also proportionally increase or decrease the shape in MTC as - just type the % change you want and keep the dimensions locked so you only have to type the width or height.
  • Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,151
    I would resize each one and save the MTC file with size notation i.e.  Duck A6.mtc;  duck A4.mtc; duck A3.MTC and duck A5.mtc.  All you would need to do is set up your original and save as that size and then change the dimensions and do a 'save as' to change the name to the new size.  Quick and easy way to do it.  Then when you wish to cut a particular size you just open the file relating to the item you require and cut.  I would also have several folders marked up as decorations, animals, buildings etc. so that I did not have to scroll through lots of files to find the one I was looking for.  Luckily both windows and Mac use alphabetical sequences to store files.  Once you have one MTC file of the item you are setting up it should be a breeze to create the other three sizes.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
  • jesprattjespratt Member Posts: 47
    Or you could save the different sizes on separate pages within the same file with the page labels showing the sizes, and not have so many separate files to deal with.
    edited July 17
    Hi, How do i get the height and width box back up at the top of the page for changing the image sizes? i must have removed it by accident ..     It's stopped coming up when i add images
    In the view menu click on Sel. Prop. Bar
    Ha,   Thank you Crazy mr zing ;)