We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Cut out pre-printed images not in vector format on a plotter?

BiskolBiskol Member Posts: 7
Hi all,

I am new to plotters and MTC.
I have a question which should be simple to answer, but finding an answer online seems to be difficult.

I am considering purchasing a KNK, I wish to use MTC.
Can I cut out pre printed images (let us say a google image for example without guides), single or multiple images with MTC?

My Mum has so many images from CD's etc, but not in the vector format, so it would be useful to be able to cut them out somehow.
We have seen the silhouette plotter perform the task, so we are looking for a better plotter to do the same via a computer aided software.

Is this possible?

Thank you, Biskol

Comments

• leslie6111leslie6111 Member Posts: 2,349
    edited June 11
    Yes. MTC is superior in my mind to silhouette studio. You will have to convert the raster (jpg, png, tff, non vector pdf etc)  - trace the image to convert it to a vector or path so that it can be cut around - that is what MTC will do for you. A lot of us own knk cutters, I own an original zing and a force, which one were you interested in?
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,923
    This video shows a few methods of doing a print and cut using pre-printed
    materials
     Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio Q&A Webinar - August 05, 2014

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • BiskolBiskol Member Posts: 7
    Yes. MTC is superior in my mind to silhouette studio. You will have to convert the raster (jpg, png, tff, non vector pdf etc)  - trace the image to convert it to a vector or path so that it can be cut around - that is what MTC will do for you. A lot of us own knk cutters, I own an original zing and a force, which one were you interested in?
    Thank you,

Thank goodness the question was not too basic to answer :)
    I am happy that I can achieve my initial query, I searched the keywords you mentioned & found a demo of Tracing using MTC.

I have seen videos on the Force, quite impressive...
    I was looking at the KNK over Scan-N-Cut & Silhouette because it offered much more cutting force, which is better for some materials like leather.

I also saw it could plunge & maybe router using a Dremel type tool with attachment which might be good for cutting small wooden shapes (hearts, dogs, cats) in 2-3mm MDF or plywood type material, when used with a cutting board underneath the material to be cut.

I still need to research thoroughly, just so I get the correct machine (my head says KNK), even if we are not professionals, we would like to make projects to fundraise for charity markets/fayres, replacing our die cutting machine too.

If you have any advice on choosing machines, I am happy to listen.
    I think the extra cost will pay for itself in capability, flexibility & longevity (quality).

Thank you, Biskol

This video shows a few methods of doing a print and cut using pre-printed
    materials
     Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio Q&A Webinar - August 05, 2014

Thank you,

I will watch and learn...

BIG thanks so far for helping me in my quest for the correct software & machine!

Biskol
  • Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,204
    Go for one of the KNK machines, which is for you to choose according to what you actually want to cut.  The dremel attachment which comes with the Force is a plus but tricky.  Otherwise everything else that it can achieve is stupendous even with a learning curve.  I only ever had a cameo cutter and having transferred to the Force and got the hang of it I would certainly recommend it.  Also the bods at KNK are always helpful and ready to come to the rescue on technical issues.  Their service can't be beat!!
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
  • leslie6111leslie6111 Member Posts: 2,349
    edited June 11
    You can always ask knk to test cut any material before you buy. Knk cutters cost more, but as Diana says, they have great customer service. Be advised that the force is not a plug and play sort of cutter like the brother scan and cut and the silhouette cutters, it will take time to learn how to use them depending on your skill level and patience. Even setting up the force can be a frustrating experience. A lot of people simple give up and you might even find some cutters available for sale slightly used.
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,563
    @Biskol - I just wanted to mention a couple of things...MTC - Make The Cut! - the software for which this forum exists, has not had any new feature additions or updates or addressed long known bugs since March of 2013. There are many now considering this software as abandoned by its developer. You will find that all the KNK cutters are not now supported by MTC, especially the Force. The Zing Orbit can work with MTC except for the Print and Cut feature. KNK now has full support for all its cutters in SCAL - Sure Cuts A Lot, and offers it on purchase of a cutter - the software is not included in the cutter purchase price.

You mentioned cutting leather. Do be aware of some limitations for cutting this media. You must adhere it well to the mat, and you will be limited to the thickness of the leather. It also tends to be an uneven material, ie, the same uniform thickness is not experienced throughout the piece. Also leathers vary in density. Example, I recall Tandy cowhide projects as a kid, that leather was thick, stiff and ungiving. It would likely not be a good candidate for a blade style cutter.
    edited June 16
    Liz_A said:
    @Biskol - I just wanted to mention a couple of things...MTC - Make The Cut! - the software for which this forum exists, has not had any new feature additions or updates or addressed long known bugs since March of 2013. There are many now considering this software as abandoned by its developer. You will find that all the KNK cutters are not now supported by MTC, especially the Force. The Zing Orbit can work with MTC except for the Print and Cut feature. KNK now has full support for all its cutters in SCAL - Sure Cuts A Lot, and offers it on purchase of a cutter - the software is not included in the cutter purchase price.

You mentioned cutting leather. Do be aware of some limitations for cutting this media. You must adhere it well to the mat, and you will be limited to the thickness of the leather. It also tends to be an uneven material, ie, the same uniform thickness is not experienced throughout the piece. Also leathers vary in density. Example, I recall Tandy cowhide projects as a kid, that leather was thick, stiff and ungiving. It would likely not be a good candidate for a blade style cutter.
    Thank you Liz,

It would be great to hear from the developers of MTC to get their stance and software roadmap, great support is necessary when paying a premium for software, bug quashing is also essential so we don't pull our hair out. As for new features, there are always ways a software can be improved, so a lack of updates is a bit worrying. I did notice full KNK Force features were added, I was also hoping that the auto aligning feature would be perfected and then implemented for this machine.

Does SCAL offer the ability to cut out printed images (reason for thread), I may consider this route if it offers this function, and is comparable or is more usable than MTC. I have never compared MTC vs SCAL, but I was aware of SCAL from research.

MTC also seems to have a great support network, also tutorials in written & video format, this is the one reason for leaning towards MTC! My Mum (70), can follow videos and learn quickly.

My mum loves card crafting, but is very adaptable to most crafts that don't require fine dexterity (reason for sending scan-n-cut machine back.

She is looking at a variety of craft projects for a group of fellow crafter volunteers, we are hoping this machine will allow us to add a level of flexibility and versatility above what we currently have.

Thin leather was just one material that Silhouette & Scan-N-cut didn't seem to handle well. We understood that KNK, offering more force, may be more versatile in its abilities, we are excited by custom greetings on projects & cards, parchment, & exploring the rotary tool.

thanks
    Post edited by SBryanW on
    You can always ask knk to test cut any material before you buy. Knk cutters cost more, but as Diana says, they have great customer service. Be advised that the force is not a plug and play sort of cutter like the brother scan and cut and the silhouette cutters, it will take time to learn how to use them depending on your skill level and patience. Even setting up the force can be a frustrating experience. A lot of people simple give up and you might even find some cutters available for sale slightly used.
    Thank you,

I will consider this!
    My Mum does pick things up very quickly, I will have to discuss the point raised by yourself.
    I know we were looking at the Cameo, we started to explore the KNK as it seemed to have more options and flexibility, but as you said, this comes at a usability and learning curve cost.
    Great tip
    Di-lite said:
    Go for one of the KNK machines, which is for you to choose according to what you actually want to cut.  The dremel attachment which comes with the Force is a plus but tricky.  Otherwise everything else that it can achieve is stupendous even with a learning curve.  I only ever had a cameo cutter and having transferred to the Force and got the hang of it I would certainly recommend it.  Also the bods at KNK are always helpful and ready to come to the rescue on technical issues.  Their service can't be beat!!
    Thank you for your help...

I will consider this before purchase!
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,138
    SCAL does allow tracing of images to become vector files and offers the ability to cut directly to the newer KNK models, like the Force and Zing Orbit. While KNKUSA was told by the owner of MTC that the Force would have its own plugin, that never materialized. You can still design in MTC, but then you must export as SVG and open it in the cutting program that resides on the computer inside of the Force for cutting.

Here's a comparison table showing the best features of both MTC and SCAL:  http://www.iloveknk.com/wp-content/uploads/Info/MTC_vs_SCAL.pdf

If you have any questions about this table or other aspects of the KNK's, please do ask! 
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit
    Need help with your KNK? Visit this link: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest KNK / MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
    SandyMcC said:
    SCAL does allow tracing of images to become vector files and offers the ability to cut directly to the newer KNK models, like the Force and Zing Orbit. While KNKUSA was told by the owner of MTC that the Force would have its own plugin, that never materialized. You can still design in MTC, but then you must export as SVG and open it in the cutting program that resides on the computer inside of the Force for cutting.

Here's a comparison table showing the best features of both MTC and SCAL:  http://www.iloveknk.com/wp-content/uploads/Info/MTC_vs_SCAL.pdf

If you have any questions about this table or other aspects of the KNK's, please do ask! 
    Thank you,

The community here is so helpful, and I am able to go into this with my eyes open a little wider about the software features & choices.