We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Desk space for zing

walshsurveywalshsurvey Member Posts: 547
I am running out of room on my desk (and it's ugly) so I am getting a new one but I'm not sure what I am looking for but I know the zing takes up a whole bunch of room.

The reason is that it needs space in front and behind that supports the mat coming in and out of the zing.  How do you deal with this much space on your desk?

At first I didn't have a support and if I had a perfect cut when the mat came out some pieces would not bend with the mat and come off and then end up getting cut again by the blade. I guess if I was more attentive to sticking my mats this wouldn't happen but I'm not.

I was thinking of countersinking the zing into the table so that the table itself is the support for the mat. My current solution is that the zing has storage boxes in front of it and behind it that support the mat as it zings back and forth but those boxes take up room that I dearly need.

Does anyone have any better ideas?

Connie
I have my work cut out for me!
I am CutWoman - I just need the black spandex and ears.
Gallery ID: 20273

Comments

• GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,348
    My best suggestion is to use a separate table that you can place nearby.  It doesn't have to be super large, just big enough to hold the Zing and the boxes you're using for supports.  If you have a Zing Air, you could even put it in a different room, as long as you can connect to it via bluetooth.  

Another solution, which would be a little bit more effort to implement, would be to hang the Zing on the wall.  You'd need to have the Zing mounted sideways to the wall, so that the openings in the machine would not be restricted.  The platform it would sit on could be supported by light chains and it would be like a floating table.  Finding a spot where it would be handy to access, but still out of the way and not blocking any useful part of the room, might be the hard part.
  • leslie6111leslie6111 Member Posts: 2,320
    edited June 11
    I usually do not have an issue with the mat going forward, just back towards the wall, so I place my cutter towards the front of the desk. The zing really doesn't have as much of issue keeping the mat flat with the standard mats. For my force on the other hand I have had to place a platform in the back made from a cut cereal box to keep the mat level since the levers do not hold the mat as tightly. If I ever got rid of my desk which  really had belonged to my daughter growing up,  I would replace it with a door held up with legs. Flat doors make for a nice work space.
  • walshsurveywalshsurvey Member Posts: 547
    edited June 16
    Well here is what I ended up doing.

I added a piece of white melamine on top of my table. I countersunk the zing so that it sits on the lower table top. I added a shelf for my monitor and laptop with cute little feet.

Post edited by SBryanW on
    Connie
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,655
    I've have similar space shortage I've been considering a similar idea of setting the zing lower so the area in front and behind is the support .
    several years later I still thinking about it

I was thinking rather than cutting up the top of the table I would build a platform that sat on top of the table that had the front and back area built up

This still takes up much room so I have had the idea placing the whole thing under the table top or making a removable or lift up table top above giving me much needed work space
    Then the idea of placing the platform on drawer runners came to mind and maybe making it so the front is always fully accessible an only needing to slide it out to access the back if required
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    edited June 11
    I like the idea of a drawer. that is some fine thinking.

I was thinking it could be like the old sewing machine cabinets. They work something like this ( I tried to make it play right at the right place but it got stripped off in the forum. Go to 5:49 to see the part I wanted to show.

Put a hinge on the back of the zing and fold it down into the table and then have a table insert that fits on top and you have a full working surface.

Connie
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,655
    I considered using an using old sewing machine cabinet but the type that the machine raises up vertically
    Decided it was a little over the top

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    It may be over the top, but way cool!!!
    Connie
  • tuicarlostuicarlos Member Posts: 151
    @walshsurvey - Your problem is not lack of space but the size of your desk. You should get a desk a little bigger because you also need space to prepare your mat. If you intend to keep your desk so try flipping the positions. Zing on the right side looks perfect because under that attach is a dead place, I’m right? You can bring your laptop to the left side and elevate it with a stand sold by Staples, for example.

@tuicarlos Thanks for the idea. I didn't give you the context of the room. The left side of the desk is kind of blocked by my filing cabinet. Here is a pic:

Connie