We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Dear Crafters, Any ideas for a DIY equivalent of Thermoweb's Deco Foil Gel?

hwganghwgang Member Posts: 2,796
I saw a Jennifer McGuire video using it and the results were amazing. I'd love to try it, but of course, it's out of stock everywhere.  Then it has to be mail-ordered and there's shipping costs when you just want one, small thing. I'm feeling curmudgeonly about the whole thing today.  :-P
Is it just an adhesive that can take the heat and has the right consistency?
Has anyone played with it? Thanks.
Lynne Moderation in All Things should be Practiced Sparingly In KNK Love with my Zing, Eagle and the Support!

Comments

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,370
    @hwgang - how were you wanting to use this? With a stencil? Foil will stick to glue - this web page might help.

http://www.crafttestdummies.com/six-ways-add-foil-crafting-projects-without-machine/
  • jewelleenjewelleen Member Posts: 11
    @hwgang, I saw her video as well and tried the technique using Dervan Matisse Gel Medium Glossy, which I had on hand. I was happy with my first attempt. Worked very well with a stencil, haven't tried a stamp yet.
    I would experiment with any brand gel medium you have on hand.
  • hwganghwgang Member Posts: 2,796
    The look I am trying to imitate was done with a stencil and then a laminator. It give one foiling with dimension! 
    @jewelleen I don't have any gel medium I have on hand, but it will certainly be easier and less expensive to get some of that.
    @Liz_A Thank you for the reference. Off to look!

Lynne Moderation in All Things should be Practiced Sparingly In KNK Love with my Zing, Eagle and the Support!
  • melmomelmo Member Posts: 101
    I just tried using a very thick fabric glue with a stencil. I let it dry completely then ran it through the laminator. I worked exactly as the decofoil transfer gel as far as I could tell. The fabric glue I used was Aleene's Fabric Fusion but I'm sure any thick heavy bodied glue will work. 
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,370
    I read something over the weekend that I have yet to try. Use an embossing ink like VersaMark, add a clear embossing powder to it, heat set it then apply your foil and run through laminator. VersaMark can be used on stamps very easily.