We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Connecting with New Computer

DhouseDhouse Member Posts: 24
I have put this question out to Sandy, and thought I'd give it a whirl here as well.  I have copied MTC and files over to a reburbished HP laptop computer. When I connect my Zing Air to the ports, I can connect with com 5, but it goes extremely slow and makes a ticking sound moving so slow, not like my other computer which moved right along. Any clues?

Comments

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,605
    edited May 21
    Is there a reason you copied MTC over rather than downloading and installing ?

Did you install the ftdi drivers ?

Are you connecting via USB or Bluetooth
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • DhouseDhouse Member Posts: 24
    I'm sorry, I did re-download it. Where do I check for the ftdi drivers? I viewed one of your previous posts, but am not seeing them on the MTC home page.
    I did find them and installed them. It is connecting to a port, but the blade moves way too slow. 
    I'm think maybe they Ftdi as you say it does connect

The simplest way of installing ftdi in in MTC
    Help > Advanced > Download and Install FTDI ...............

There appears to be some case were Windows Blocks this installation
    if so go here http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/D2XX.htm

scroll down and select the required link to download

then right click on the downloaded file and select run as administrator
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    Found it! Reading through old forums. The cut speed had been turned down. It's always something crazy like that! Live and learn.
    Have you tried a different USB Port ? 
    I have a laptop with one USB 3.0 Port that doesn't play nice with the zing or my printer. I've never bothered to determine why ?

I'm using Bluetooth. And sadly, still having issues. My computer is actually faster and has more memory than my old one, but it completely stops when flushing buffers and then disconnected in the middle of my project. I could spit nails right now. There is problems with connectivity. 
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,350
    @Dhouse - can you get better results by connecting with USB cable?
    How far away from from you pc is the zing
    I don't use bluetooth so can't advise much  distance and large obstacles can cause communication issues 
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,350
    BT is a good choice when you don't have a lot of other BT devices in close proximity, and the distance between the two devices is less than 30 feet, and not a lot of other objects in between the two devices. It does not require an internet or network connection, so other devices are not required, which makes it one of the simplest connection solutions. It is not the fastest communication method so the experience may be slower than other communication technologies.
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 6,990
    I found this post from Chad on the KNK USA forum:

Some users are experiencing difficulty in getting the Bluetooth working properly. In most cases I have come by, the issue is in the operating system not finding the proper driver. This is especially prone to occur when the PC has a Bluetooth radio on-board already.

First, disable the on-board Bluetooth. You can disable it by going to the Windows Device Manager: In the bottom left corner of the window task bar, right-click the windows start icon. Next, select Device Manager from the drop down list.

Once in the device manager, expand the bluetooth icon. Depending on your computer brand, the device may be different. However, it should read something along the lines of “Bluetooth 4.0 USB”. Right click it and choose “disable”.

Plug the dongle into the USB port, and let Windows install the drivers. What you should see is the Microsoft Generic Bluetooth Radio driver, and the Microsoft Bluetooth enumerator. If not, or if the cautionary symbol is showing an improper installation, you can right click the radio entry, and choose “Update Driver Software”, then choose “Browse My Computer”.

In the next window choose “Let Me pick” and at the next window, you should see the Generic Bluetooth adapter. If not, remove the check mark for “Show Compatible hardware” and scroll down the left side until you find Generic Adapter, then choose the driver on the right for the Generic Bluetooth adapter.

Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Air
    Need help with your KNK? Visit this link: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    KNK / MTC Videos: http://bit.ly/1kmAcoO
    Latest KNK / MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
    The computer is less than a foot away and yes, Liz, I connected with the cable and it worked like a charm. So, this leads me to connectivity. Gonna give Sandy's recommendation a try and see if that fixes it.
    Appreciate the help and insights!