We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

cutting a % out of a circle

sikessikes Member Posts: 48
Is there an easy way to cut part of a circle out?  Ex.  If I have a full circle and I want it to be 70%.  Is there a way to do that by typing in a % somewhere? 

Comments

• leslie6111leslie6111 Member Posts: 2,282
    Not that I know of - just manually. You would have to draw a line at least as long as the diameter of the circle and then rotate duplicate that line at an angle the would give you the amount you want to take away from the circle to use as a guide. If you then close the resultant shape  you can stack the circle over this shape you can line everything up over the centers. You'll only need half the shape so I would get rid of part of this so that I could boolean join difference and thus get my patial circle from this union.
    edited May 15
    I hope this explanation helps - I rotated at 15 degrees. I got rid of 1/24 th of the circle or 4% so I was left with 96% of the circle.  An easy trick for the 5th step is to right click and find the center node to of the double triangle shape so that then you can join the nodes after you remove the parts you don't want and they line up perfectly. (5% for 18 degrees )
    Post edited by leslie6111 on
  • Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,003
    Just thought have no idea how to do it in MTC but I can set out a series of circles with lumps out and put them into MTC in Serif if that would help would you like me to do that in say 5 degree lumps i.e. 5, 10, 15 etc. up to 180 (half a circle) or would you prefer in 10 degrees lumps?
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
  • Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,003
    Did it anyway - just because I could - hope it helps.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
    edited May 15
    So if you want 70 percent of circle - I need a wedge at 30%. I rotated lines at 108 degrees and ended up with 70 % left by the method I outlined above. I think I need Paul (Crazy Mr, Zing) to check my math since I have only had 1 cup of coffee this morning LOL.
  • tuicarlostuicarlos Member Posts: 117
    edited May 15
    @sikes - If we had a custom rotate option in MTC the @leslie6111 suggestion should work much easier. You could create a line and Stack with the circle than duplicate it once and rotate 30º.

Post edited by tuicarlos on
  • Calgalcre8sCalgalcre8s Member Posts: 2,870
    edited May 15
    Just a tidbit of additional info on how to use percentage in MTC ( Note: this is not to cut part of a circle out).

You can make the whole circle 70% in size by: entering 70% in the width and height. For example, if you start with a 1" circle you will end up with a .70" circle.

In MTC, you can do this with any shape - increase or decrease by percentage.
    Post edited by Calgalcre8s on
  • GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,313
    @sikes,

It would likely be much easier to use a program, such as Excel, which can create a pie chart with a 30% slice removed.  Then you could use copy and paste to move it into MTC.  Once it is in MTC, it would be a vector object which is easily resized to whatever you need.
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,235
    @sikes - I usually go the path of least resistance, type 70% pie chart in Google, and snag one of the image offerings =). Interesting tips!
  • daffeydildaffeydil Member Posts: 2,980
    Liz_A's method seems the easiest and therefore the method I would use.  Another method would be to use a circle and a triangle brought in from shapes at the same size and then reduce the triangle to .33 and use boolean join to subtract this from triangle from the circle.

Sharon
  • tuicarlostuicarlos Member Posts: 117
    edited May 15
    Opps... my suggestion was not for percentage. Sorry!
    Post edited by tuicarlos on
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,527
    Oh Math isn;t my thing either

but I was thinking the same 30% of 360 = 108

@Leslie6111 ; I think you may have kept the wrong angle to cut out though

MTC does have a rather crude rotate by angle in the Advance Setting so setting that to 108 deg and holding ctrl while dragging the rotate handles while cause the object to snap at 108 deg intervals

It only twigged that the angle looked wrong as 75% would be 3/4 of the circle so 70% would be slightly less than that wouldn't it ??
    Hope I got that right ....haven't had my coffee yet either

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • SBryanWSBryanW Administrator Posts: 5,258
    tuicarlos said:
    @sikes - If we had a custom rotate option in MTC the @leslie6111 suggestion should work much easier. You could create a line and Stack with the circle than duplicate it once and rotate 30º.
    If you hold the Control key down and click on one the corner rotation handles of th selected shape(s), then it will rotate in increments.  The default is 15 degrees, but you can change that increment any where from 1 degree to 180 degrees (whole numbers only).  To change that default from 15 to something between 1 and 180, go to Help > Advanced > Advanced Settings and then change the number in the "Rotate By" section.
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,527
    edited May 17
    daffeydil said:
     Another method would be to use a circle and a triangle brought in from shapes at the same size and then reduce the triangle to .33 and use boolean join to subtract this from triangle from the circle.

OH my arching brain I thought sure you could do that should be easy to create a triangle with a 108deg angle

Actually it was easier than I thought once I tried

I wasn't sure how I was going to align the point of the triangle and the centre of the circle until I tried

So first some really trick calculating Math?? ..bahhh!! that's what the internet for

http://www.calculator.net/triangle-calculator.html

we just need the calculate the height ?

More Math ?  :s

http://www.calculatorsoup.com/calculators/geometry-plane/triangles-isosceles.php

So select the equatorial triangle from basic shapes set the width at 1.618" and the height at hb  0.587809"

Also select a circle from the basic shape and set the Diameter to 1.175618"  (2 x the height of the triangle) this will make aligning easier I think ?

More MATH :#

Select both and press V to vertically align and B to align to bottom
    As the diameter of the circle is twice the height of the triangle the point of the triangle should now be at the centre of the circle

Boolean join difference

you can now size proportionally and or rotate the circle to suit your needs

Join just for comparison I compare this method and the one Leslie suggested (in red)

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files