We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Hi Ya'll, I am trying to add both straight cut lines as well as, dotted lines or dashes for folding

MonetMonet Member Posts: 3
Hi Ya'll, I am trying to add both straight cut lines as well as, dotted lines or dashes for folding but when i use the pencil i can click and drag and see the line, however not sure how to let it go without loosing the line.  if i right click it disappears, same with esc key  please advise.  I am using the black cat cougar.  and MTC .  I have a graphic that i want to make into a popout card.  
thanks in advance you people are the BEST!!!
MONET 

Answers

• leslie6111leslie6111 Member Posts: 2,319
    If you use the pencil tool to make your line - hold down the control key to keep the line straight and then with the pencil tool selected - right click and drag and then let go when you have it drawn where you want it. If you want to make it dashed select the line with the nose editing tool and then change the line characteristics to dashed either by right clicking or using the box on the right where you see the little color boxes.
  • tuicarlostuicarlos Member Posts: 151
    edited May 15
    @Monet - I love your username!

If you are using “Draw Freehand Lines” hold CTRL Key, left click and drag it.

If you are using “Draw Bézier Curves and Straight Lines” just left click to start and right click to end the line. No need to use CTRL key.

Than you can change any line you want as @leslie6111 suggested.

• MonetMonet Member Posts: 3
    Hi Leslie, 
    thanks for responding to my question regarding the dashes... etc.
    I watched a tutorial by Sandy and it was a very nice tutorial but i am still having issues selecting only one line at a time.  i want to have my horizontal lines to be dashed... I did that first.  so all the horizontal were dashed... no problem, however,
    when i created the vertical lines... they automatically turned to dashed.  when i try to select the vertical lines... it selects the entire rectangle.. so if i change it too straaight lines,  the entire rectangle turns straight lines etc.  
    how do i only select one line at a time... without it effecting the other lines it is in contacct with???

sincere;ly,
    Monet

• MonetMonet Member Posts: 3
    thanks tuicarlos... smiles... and waves.

how do i select only one line at a time?  to turn it to straight or dashed lines?

it wants to select the entire rectangle etc.  I made each line separate.   
    want all the horizontal lines to be dashed and vertical to be straight

@Monet - I'm not sure if I'm on the same page but...

After drawing all the lines you want use F1 to go back to Select function, if I can call it like that. Then you’ll be able to select individually any line you want.

@Monet - You can change the lines following the steps below:

1.       Select the line

2.       Right click over that line

3.       Choose “Change Color/Texture/Line”

4.       Choose "Select Line"

5.       Play with the sliders until you get it!

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,362
    @Monet - if you draw a shape like a rectangle, and select the shape, change the line style - all the line styles will change, eg to a dashed line. If you draw a line and leave it as a regular line, then draw another line, and make that a dashed line, then connect those two lines, only one line style will prevail. This is the line style behaviour of MTC. To have lines that are different in the same shape requires a little bit of fiddling, ultimately you would be dealing with separate unconnected lines for that to work. Hope that makes sense.
  • Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,069
    edited May 15
    Can I make a suggestion - collect all the lines intended for dotted lines together and put them on a different layer - also collect all the flat lines onto another layer.  Then select the layer (to make it grey) and set either dotted lines or flat lines for that particular layer - all lines on that layer will then be the same.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
  • leslie6111leslie6111 Member Posts: 2,319
    Like Liz says - it is best to break the node with the node editing tool , then break or split your selected  between the lines you want to be different  and for sanity sake (not necessary but prudent)  I would move them to different layers to change the ones you want to dashed.

• SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,008
    If you still have problems after reading the posts by others, then email your file to me and I'll make another video.  I can see where my original one definitely didn't cover all situations and I'm happy to do another one.    Here's my email:  smccauley45@cox.net 
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Air
    Need help with your KNK? Visit this link: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    KNK / MTC Videos: http://bit.ly/1kmAcoO
    Latest KNK / MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
    edited May 15
    @Monet - I understood that you referred your lines as a rectangle because the format of the group of lines and not as a shape. If you wanted a shape you could draw a rectangle. Also, I understood that you meant solid lines as you called straight lines. Please, let me know if I misunderstood. So, let’s draw your “rectangle”!

1.       Draw a horizontal line

2.       Press F1

3.       Select the horizontal line

4.       Duplicate four times (Rows 5), as I did, for example

5.       Select all horizontal lines

6.       Right click over any line

7.       Choose “Change Color/Texture/Line”

8.       Choose “Select Line”

9.       Play with the sliders until you get what you want for the score

10.   Click in Join

11.   Draw a vertical line inside the score lines group as I did, for example

12.   Press F1

13.   Select that vertical line

14.   Duplicate three times, (Columns 4), as I did, for example

15.   Select the left vertical line and the horizontal lines group

16.   In Align and Space / Align choose Left

17.   Select the right vertical line and the horizontal lines group

18.   In Align and Space / Align choose Right

19.   Select all the vertical lines

20.   You can move away the horizontal lines group the reach better all vertical lines if you want

21.   In Align and Space / Space choose “Horizontally”

22.   Click in Join

23.   If you moved away the horizontal lines group you can:

a.  Select both groups (horizontal and vertical)

b.  Choose Align / Stack

Okay, you have now two groups that you can handle without any problems. However, you can’t join these groups otherwise all lines will assume the style of the top layer. Look at the screenshots. Both groups separated and both together. But now I’m thinking why should you want a shape like that? LOL…