We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Windows 10 issues of tiny icons etc??

SherricraftsSherricrafts Member Posts: 149
edited May 17 in Help for Make The Cut
I am so so sad about this. I was just learning how to use it pretty well this past week but now I can't use it with my new computer I had to get.
What are people doing who have Windows 10? I know there is not a way for MTC to function in it.

I'm not sure what to do.

Thanks for opinions,
Sherri 
Post edited by SBryanW on

Comments

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,547
    I recall someone actually returned their new computer due to this issue as they need their computer to work with MTC

You could try adjusting the scaling in the display settings although it appears these options may not available to everyone maybe that related to the manufacturer of their computer hardware  ??

The other method is creating a manifest file for MTC to use
    Although I don't recall anyone reporting back that they succeeded trying this method
    the information originated here 
    http://www.danantonielli.com/adobe-app-scaling-on-high-dpi-displays-fix/
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • SherricraftsSherricrafts Member Posts: 149
    Thank you...Yes, I have tried all that I have seen so far. I loved MTC but I just received this new computer as a gift because my old 8.1 fried.

Thank you again for your reply. Sadly, I will have to search for another program. So sad.
  • MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 8,958
    Its not Windows 10 and MTC that is the issue as I understood the problem.  As I understood it, the problem is if you get a newer High Resolution Computer Screen that happens to also be running Windows 10.  There are people running Windows 10 and running MTC on together just fine.  Its the high resolution screen and MTC that are not compatible if I understood the prior discussions correctly.
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
    Hi MeFlick,

Yes, I discovered that...seems there is not a way to adjust or do a compatibility setting that allows it to run properly with the high res. I am just sad about it and hoped someone was able to create the program for all the people with this problem.

Thank you for replying, I appreciate it,
    Have a great weekend :)
    Sherri 
  • LaurieBLaurieB Member Posts: 177
    I am using the program fine with a windows 10 laptop.  I have the display set at a screen resolution of 1920 x 1080, and the size of text, apps, etc. is at 125%.  You can check these setting by clicking the window icon at the bottom left, then choose settings -> display.
    cutting with Cameo
  • tuicarlostuicarlos Member Posts: 126
    edited May 13
    @Sherricrafts - This problem has become a challenge because a lot of MTC users have a high-resolution display. This kind of display has become standard for laptops. However just some has this problem. So, before you give up and jump LOL, let’s try some baby steps.

Your software…

1.       Open your MTC software

2.       Go to Help / Advanced / Reset Interface to Factory Settings

3.       Click in “Yes”

4.       Not necessary but if you want to restart your computer, good

No good news? Let’s going!

Your display settings…

1.       Go to Start / Settings / System / Display

2.       Make sure that you have 100% (Recommended) for the size of text, apps and other items

3.       Choose the resolution which shows “(Recommended)”

4.       In Orientation choose “Landscape”

Nothing yet?

Your Windows…

1.       Go to Start / Settings / Update & security / Advanced options

2.       Select “Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows”

3.       Click in the arrow on the top-left corner to go back to the preview page

4.       Click in “Check for updates”

5.       Make a coffee… it will be done when you see the login again

6.       Try your MTC

Obs.: Windows updates are mandatory than automatic now but just to make sure that you have the latest version. So, we can check Windows 10 not guilty!

One more shot!

Okay, it’s not supposed to be the solution but we can try… it’s free and without pain

1.       Go to File Explorer / Local Disk (C:) / Program Files / Make The Cut!

2.       Right click over MTC! application and chose “Properties”

3.       Choose “Compatibility”

4.       Click in “Run compatibility troubleshooter”

5.       If no solution shows up select “Run this program in compatibility mode for:”

6.       Choose “Windows 7”

7.       Click in OK and prey

8.       Now I suggest you restart your computer

If nothing above fixed the problem, don’t panic… don’t jump… let we know so we can keep trying to help you. We appreciate if you give us more information about the problem. If it happens only with MTC software or not for example. Also, if you post some screenshots of your display here it could help us a lot.

edited May 17
    LaurieB said:
    I am using the program fine with a windows 10 laptop.  I have the display set at a screen resolution of 1920 x 1080, and the size of text, apps, etc. is at 125%.  You can check these setting by clicking the window icon at the bottom left, then choose settings -> display.
    Hi Laurie :) I have tried every setting available in dozens of configurations...plus trying many options such as the ones listed above and others.
    I have learned that some of the new high resolution computers' settings just will not change the toolbar size. I will just keep watching for MTC to catch up to these hi res computers LOL

Thank you so much for your reply....I did try the settings that work for you, but nothing changed for me. There are 20 different display settings and it's sad that not one of them is compatible.

Have a great weekend!
    edited May 17
    tuicarlos said:
    @Sherricrafts - This problem has become a challenge because a lot of MTC users have a high-resolution display. This kind of display has become standard for laptops. However just some has this problem. So, before you give up and jump LOL, let’s try some baby steps.

Your software…

3.       Click in “Yes”

Your display settings…

2.       Make sure that you have 100% (Recommended) for the size of text, apps and other items

Nothing yet?

Your Windows…

2.       Select “Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows”

3.       Click in the arrow on the top-left corner to go back to the preview page

6.       Try your MTC

Obs.: Windows updates are mandatory than automatic now but just to make sure that you have the latest version. So, we can check Windows 10 not guilty!

One more shot!

Okay, it’s not supposed to be the solution but we can try… it’s free and without pain

5.       If no solution shows up select “Run this program in compatibility mode for:”

If nothing above fixed the problem, don’t panic… don’t jump… let we know so we can keep trying to help you. We appreciate if you give us more information about the problem. If it happens only with MTC software or not for example. Also, if you post some screenshots of your display here it could help us a lot.

tuicarlos...Hi
    I tried all of the suggestions. None worked I am sorry to say. I will take a screen capture in the next few days for you.
    Thank you for trying, it was worth a shot.
    I'll keep checking for an upgrade though!

Sherri
    Hi, Print screen did not work. I do not have a screen capture installed yet, but will post once I do.
    You know what? I can't accept the idea that a single software will define what kind of equipment you will have. However I do believe that we have a chance because these suggestions worked for two users. We need to find a solution. I've some questions for you:
    1. Which country do you live?
    2. Which is the brand and model of your computer?
    3. Is it a desktop or a laptop?
    4. Did you buy your computer in your country? If not, where?

Thanks for your help answering my questions!
  • Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,028
    You can do a screen capture very simply if you press the print screen button and then open paint or some other program you can click paste it and then save as a jpeg or png.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
    @tuicarlos I think Sherry is in the USA so she will be on later guessing about 6 hours or so.

Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    Hi :) Yes, I am in the US. My husband bought an HP laptop. We have only ever had HP's lol.
    It is an Intel i7-7700HQ Laptop
    Windows 10 Pro
    64bit OS with x64based processor

It is not a touchscreen.
    Yes, we bought it in the US.

I previously had a Windows 8.1 64 bit but there were a couple of programs I could run in 32 bit in compatibility mode.
    I tried every compatibility function available from xp up to 8 on here and still no change.

I have adjusted the screen resolution and the display percentage to every possible number with no change to the toolbar.

So far, this is the only software that I have a problem with. I have read many posts on a few forums and groups stating that there are quite a few people with the same issue. A couple of people who were with MTC with Andy all these years have told me that there will not be a fix for this problem at the moment.

I keep trying all suggestions, however, hoping one will click LOL I can't imagine there are any more options at this point, but I won't give up :)

Thank you all so much for helping and I will try to do a screen capture again.
    I tried print screen and the snippit tool of the toolbar, and I capture the image but for some reason it will not paste or import into paint or inkscape. I will try a few more times though LOL

Screen capture of MTC
    Another shot more like I would use it
    edited May 13
    @Sherricrafts - I'm a mix of Italian and Spanish so I still not gave up.

1.       Right click over MTC! application and chose “Properties”

2.       Choose “Compatibility”

3.       Check mark in “Disable display scaling on high DPI settings”

4.       Click “Ok”

5.       Restart your computer

Obs.: If you don’t see that option above, you probably have the latest version of Windows 10. So, as shown below, try choosing “Override high DPI scaling behavior” and keep “Application” as your first option, click "Ok" and restart your laptop.

P.S. You still not said which model is your laptop. Thanks!

It's a Pavilion :). I spent a lot of time on that screen yesterday lol. I am going to check the build date for this computer. Maybe Windows 10 PRO is a little different.
    This is my compatibility settings options box. I spent hours in here yesterday trying every possible combination LOL None worked...well of course the lowest numbers created a curser nearly as large as my screen LOL.

I thank you so very very much for all of your advice and suggestions. I believe we have hit a wall for the moment.

You have been extremely helpful with your time, I THANK YOU!
    @Sherricrafts - Sorry if I’m asking you so many questions but I’m trying to insulate the problem. This problem exists but not for all the high DPI display owners. Old icons were about 48 x 48 pixel and now they are about 256 x 256 pixel. You are using Windows 10 Pro and this is a new information for me. After you do what I’m suggesting above, you can try changing your resolution to maybe 1920 x 1200 or other better for your display size. We’ll keep investigating!

Thank you :) I have tried every single resolution and display and compatibility option there is. Plus I have done every combination of options...combining different versions of windows with every display option. I spent most of the entire day and some of the night working on all the settings. It is just the way things go sometimes.

My other software programs work because they made changes to allow for the hi res and hi res pro versions of 10...that is what the companies say anyway.

Maybe someday a fix for this can come from MTC...for now, I will keep it installed and keep checking back to see if a fix was created :disappointed:

Thank you again so much, I know this has been frustrating for you! You can see I have tried it all though LOL

Sherri
    @Sherricrafts - Okay, looks like that you still not tried what I'm suggesting in my post #103. Please, try it and don't forget to RESTART your laptop.
    Remembering... Restart is different than shut down and turn on.
    @Sherricrafts - Don’t worry! I’m not frustrated because like I said before these suggestions worked very well for some and could be worked for you. If you are giving up on this, I understand. If you want to keep going I’m with you. About waiting for an update to fix this, sorry, but you should not expect any update from MTC. Some of us are waiting for more than 4 years for a single update. Unfortunately, it’s not going to happen. If we succeed fixing this problem you’ll be able to continue using MTC “as is”, if not, I suggest you trying SCAL (Sure Cuts A Lot).

tuicarlos said:
    @Sherricrafts - I'm a mix of Italian and Spanish so I still not gave up.

1.       Right click over MTC! application and chose “Properties”

2.       Choose “Compatibility”

3.       Check mark in “Disable display scaling on high DPI settings”

4.       Click “Ok”

5.       Restart your computer

Obs.: If you don’t see that option above, you probably have the latest version of Windows 10. So, as shown below, try choosing “Override high DPI scaling behavior” and keep “Application” as your first option, click "Ok" and restart your laptop.

P.S. You still not said which model is your laptop. Thanks!

LOL, tried this as well...I spend most of the day and some of the night in this screen yesterday.

I have tried many other ways also...I am on other groups and forums for this so have had a dozen other suggestions that I have not mentioned.
    I would rather not give up, not in my nature and I really like MTC...was just beginning to learn it.

I did download SCAL 4 so that I can finish projects while I work on this :) If you think of something new I will be glad to try it...and I always try a restart...then I do the settings again and try shut down and start. I try both ways always :D

Thank you, I'm not giving up, just ran out of things to try for now. I have been in device manager....and the registry to check for settings but nothing in either was helpful. The registry is not a place to mess around unless you know how to....I have had to tweak things in there before. :D
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 6,942
    edited May 14
    I kind of skimmed the posts here and in the other thread because there are so many and more experts than me  are posting and helping.   I did find, in my Evernotes database, the following link that was posted here previously and someone said that it was very helping in resolving this issue in MTC:

Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Air
    Need help with your KNK? Visit this link: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    KNK / MTC Videos: http://bit.ly/1kmAcoO
    Latest KNK / MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
  • Little_BerryLittle_Berry Member Posts: 5,758
    Could I suggest you get another Monitor to hookup to your laptop

Sorry @Little_Berry I know that you're trying to help but I was just imagining…

TSA Agent: What’s this?

You: My laptop!

TSA Agent: Okay, so what’s this?

You: The monitor of my laptop!

TSA Agent: Follow me lady!

@tuicarlos - now there is an example why upgrading is not good.  I have Win10 (free) and never upgraded - so MTC works fine for me in Hi-res.  Brownie points to me.  So I can continue to use the programs I like (some very old and not upgraded to Win10 Pro) but work just fine.  Like PSP which will never be upgraded as Corel has taken it over and made it horrible.  Microsoft forgot to allow for old Windows set ups when they upgraded and have put an awful lot of people on the shelf!!
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    @Di-lite - My favorite apps were WordPerfect, Lotus 123 and dBase III. I loved them, but I can't use them anymore. Also, I am very happy with my Word, Excel and Access. You can try any argument you want ... you’ll not convince me about stopping and letting everything go through me. I like MTC very much but I can't let a software choose my cutter or my laptop. No way!

Microsoft is getting back on track again with Windows 10 and Office 2016, but you're right, they made a mess with previous versions.

Corel = upgrade = money! Sometimes you get an update, but is rare. PSP, for example, it's not too bad for the price. You know ... you get what you pay for.

@tuicarlos - I'm curious can't you have a second OS and a selection at start up as to which you want to use and then use a pen to hold files and move them back and forth between the two OS when you switch off and on again.  It seems you can run Windows on a Mac so I would have thought you could run whatever OS you own on your PC or am I off track.  I have read somewhere that it can cause problems but I have never tried it so I don't know what the shortfall is.  Another question; is mime the slot where you can talk with something! if so I have removed it as it was annoying me.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    Could I suggest you get another Monitor to hookup to your laptop

Hi, good suggestion...however, I use my laptop in many different rooms :) Also, the desk I would use for MTC to send the files to my machine will not accommodate a 2nd monitor. I have to be close to that cutter as it is blue tooth, not wireless.

Thanks though...I know there are many people with this problem and most of them so far have suggested I move on to a different program, which I have. But I plan to keep checking in case someone wants the headache of continuing with MTC and creating updates; highly unlikely though.
    Di-lite said:
    @tuicarlos - now there is an example why upgrading is not good.  I have Win10 (free) and never upgraded - so MTC works fine for me in Hi-res.  Brownie points to me.  So I can continue to use the programs I like (some very old and not upgraded to Win10 Pro) but work just fine.  Like PSP which will never be upgraded as Corel has taken it over and made it horrible.  Microsoft forgot to allow for old Windows set ups when they upgraded and have put an awful lot of people on the shelf!!

Yes, it is a combination of non compatibility. I think I finally have to accept that from now on, a work around will not always be available. Used to be you could always find a reasonable work around, not any longer.

The computer systems are hardware. The programs are software...if the creators of the software programs can not or will not do the research necessary to provide updates *for those who need it* then it seems we will constantly be searching for software programs that will work. Yep, miss the old days!

Truly, the best option is to build your own computer with every conceivable compatibility resource available on a very large hard drive LOL I will not ever purchase another pre installed anything after this. :D It will be years until that happens....very expensive but will be worth it.

For now, I sure hope programs like Illustrator and other programs, both raster and vector will work on the new Win 10 Pro.
    Oh, plus, I absolutely do not like hassles when working with software! LOL I like to use a couple of clicks to get into what I want...so workarounds are a bane to me :D

Yes, a lot of dust is in the air! lol
    edited May 15
    @Di-lite - Yes, as what I know you can have a second OS if you create a second partition but as I never had any interest in having two OS because one is enough to my stomach, I never researched about it. I think as you choose in BIOS the boot priority, you must turn off the computer and force the boot to another media, a pen drive for example. I don’t know, I still think much easier to fold fitted sheet instead.

I didn’t understand well your last question but if you referred to Cortana, yes you can talk to her (female?) but in my opinion you did very well disabling it. People need to talk more among themselves and less with machines. Okay, you caught me! This is an upgrade that I didn't like. Also, in my opinion, Cortana is the worst search system that Microsoft has ever created. I’ve tested Cortana. See the result below!

• Little_BerryLittle_Berry Member Posts: 5,758
    Soon no one will be able to take any laptop on an airplane. So you can poke fun all you want up until that TSA agent says No laptops Carlos
    tuicarlos said:
    @Sherricrafts - Sorry if I’m asking you so many questions but I’m trying to insulate the problem. This problem exists but not for all the high DPI display owners. Old icons were about 48 x 48 pixel and now they are about 256 x 256 pixel. You are using Windows 10 Pro and this is a new information for me. After you do what I’m suggesting above, you can try changing your resolution to maybe 1920 x 1200 or other better for your display size. We’ll keep investigating!

I tried these also... :)
    I recall someone actually returned their new computer due to this issue as they need their computer to work with MTC

You could try adjusting the scaling in the display settings although it appears these options may not available to everyone maybe that related to the manufacturer of their computer hardware  ??

The other method is creating a manifest file for MTC to use
    Although I don't recall anyone reporting back that they succeeded trying this method
    the information originated here 
    Tried all these....

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,547
    As I have not got a computer that capable of such hi resolution I'm not much help in determining why the redirection to an alternate manifest file option won't work for you
    Your correct the tinkering in the registry is not something you do flippantly as its a quick way or damaging the windows system 

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • CharoCharo Member Posts: 550
    After reading this post I am scared silly.  My computer is pushing 9 years old (HP Pavillion).  I am operating Windows 10 OK but now I am petrified what will happen when this computer crashes.  This is AWFUL!!
    Member 30818
    @Charo - it's a graphic card issue not Win10  When you have to buy a new computer take a pen with MTC on it and say you will only buy if it works with this program.  You'll be able to see if it has tiny or normal icons.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    Di-lite said:
    @Charo - it's a graphic card issue not Win10  When you have to buy a new computer take a pen with MTC on it and say you will only buy if it works with this program.  You'll be able to see if it has tiny or normal icons.

SandyMcC said:
    I kind of skimmed the posts here and in the other thread because there are so many and more experts than me  are posting and helping.   I did find, in my Evernotes database, the following link that was posted here previously and someone said that it was very helping in resolving this issue in MTC:

Hi Sandy! Good to see you :) Changing the scaling on this laptop for some reason does not work on only the icons, although I wish it did for me. It only creates a mess LOL

After all this, I don't mind just saying it....it is a shame that there is not a software tech out there who could come in and continue with MTC. I realize that is highly unlikely.

You helped me so much with my KNK Maxx Air when I first got it and I was using MTC. I have tried everything available to me and without fail, the icons are the only thing that do not change at all.

Hi again, I trie

Sherricrafts said:
    tuicarlos...Hi
    I tried all of the suggestions. None worked I am sorry to say. I will take a screen capture in the next few days for you.
    Thank you for trying, it was worth a shot.
    I'll keep checking for an upgrade though!

Sherri

tuicarlos said:

Your software…

3.       Click in “Yes”

Your display settings…

Nothing yet?

Your Windows…

6.       Try your MTC

One more shot!

Hi, I have decided to repair my Win 8.1 computer enough to use MTC and Inkscape (I discovered the same issue with Inkscape :( ). There are many programs that are not working on the Win 8 computer and I needed a new one.
    So for now, I will be using SCAL 4 until and if a fix is created for MTC.  As for Inkscape, I will be talking to them soon to ask if they plan to update for this issue soon.

I want to THANK everyone for their help with this. I truly tried all suggestions and I believe changing the scaling is one I do not recommend people mess with as for some reason, even if you want to change it only for MTC, it will absolutely affect everything else and in my case, in very strange uneven ways. Not worth it, at least for me.

The display settings that were suggested for me are not on this computer as options so I'll never know if that would have worked LOL.

In the scheme of life...I realize this is not worth all the days I have spent on trying to change something that can't be changed and I am so grateful for all of the support and help I received here!

I will continue to use MTC at times on my other computer for very specific things so I will continue coming here for certain :D

I received an email that there is a possibility that MTC is looking to possibly updating for this issue, but it may not be soon. I will wait patiently, however because I love the program.

Thank you again so very much for all of the help but I need a break from trying options....actually, I have run out of them LOL

Have a wonderful weekend and enjoy your machines in what ever way they work :D

Di-lite Member Posts: 2,987
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    If you need any help with SCAL, feel free to contact me. 
    Sandy McCauley
  • CharoCharo Member Posts: 550
    @Di-lite THANK YOU so much for that suggestion.  I might be able to sleep at night now without worrying that I am about to lose MTC.
    Member 30818
  • leslie6111leslie6111 Member Posts: 2,310
    Bev it is  an issue with High def screens (like those that are being sold on most laptops these days- It is not an issue with a Mac - although you'll still need windows or a windows partition to run pcs. I really hate high def screens - they fry my eyes.
  • PhilHPhilH Member Posts: 10
    There seems to be a variety of different ideas as to how to fix this issue.  I have even read replies where people have taken their new computers back, all because an outdated program does not work on it.  It is a pain that a 'favourite' program does not display correctly, but it is important to realise that there is a responsibility on programmers to keep their software up to date and compatible with new operating systems.  Not keeping software up to date generally moves the software into the category of abandonware.  This is essentially what MTC is.  That does not mean that it is not useful, nor that it is incompatible with new hardware, but persevering with an outdated and unsupported operating system to keep MTC running is not the answer.

I use MTC on a win 10 machine with a high def display.  It is challenging and most of the time I work with keyboard shortcuts, rather than use the icons.  I also rationalise that, moving forward, the choice will be to purchase SCAL. 

It is important to keep your operating system updated to ensure that you are not susceptible to viruses and malware.
    I agree with all :)

I am learning SCAL 4 but will keep MTC on an older computer for certain times, but I am not one to favor needing two machines, just not the way I prefer to work/play.
    I was surprised, however, to see that INKSCAPE does the same thing on my new computer...and disappointed as well of course.

I know there are many of us that feel frustrated with MTC being *abandonware* as it is an amazing program so far.

There is a slight possibility that it will be improved in the future so I will keep my eyes open for that. In the meantime, I will always be searching for software programs that are compatible from the start without having to change my display settings or mess with scaling.
    My final solution will be to go ahead and have one built to my specs next time. I'm considering it for next year...it does take some time that I did not have this time and it is frustrating to need to consider that, but it will be worth the huge effort :smile:
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,291
    Inkscape has an active development community. I am sure that if they have not already dealt with the hi-res icon issue, then that will be resolved soon enough.
    Hi Liz_A :)

I was surprised that it downloaded on my new computer with the same icon issue in the program. I may contact them and ask about it. Thank you, I agree, I thought they were active in updates. Thank you!
    I assume you downloaded 0.92 and not the older 0.91?  That shocks me because 0.92 hasn't been out all that long... less than a year.  So, you would expect this issue to have come up with at a few of the many people who would have been testing it during it's beta releases.  I'm going to go search the Inkscape forum to see if anyone has posted anything. 
    Sandy McCauley