We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

KNK Zing cutting through design

HayhamHayham Member Posts: 9
My KNK Zing lately seems to be cutting short of the design, so it is cutting into the design rather than around it.
It seems to not happen width ways - from right to left of machine, but in the direction on how the paper moves in and out.
This lead me to believe there was an issue with the mat or rollers or even grit mat, as maybe it was getting stuck, but watching it,nothing happens.
I have done the following and still no fix:
- used different mats
- used different papers
-used different card and designs
-cleaned rollers and grit mat
-cleaned actual mat
-change how much of blade is sticking out

Please any advice and can;t do any work with the machine.

Thanks

Comments

• Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,151
    Couple of thoughts - speed for one maybe it needs slowing down a tad.  Is the card a little damp?  I'm guessing that the over cut on the right is where something is slipping - either the mat or the card.  Make sure your pinch wheels are correctly sited and maybe increase the thickness of the mat by putting some masking tape down the length of the roller runs.  I'm presuming your mats are sticky enough - most frustrating - I bet it is something simple but until the penny drops or a KNK bod comes on your stuck.  Wish I knew more about the Zing and could truly help you but I use the KNK Force.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,459
    @Hayham - are you cutting to make a stencil?  You have done some good preliminary trouble shooting, but I don't see that you have changed your blade. It is possible the blade is chipped. Do you have another to try?
  • HayhamHayham Member Posts: 9
    Thanks. I slowed it down to 9 and worked once on a test card.

I did it on the actual card and it cut through again. I now noticed something very strange. It cuts perfectly and then the last part it makes a turn too early, which makes it cut through the design, but then it realigns and cuts fine, matching the rest of the design.

The test card was the pink and actual the blue.

I have no idea what to do.
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,064
    Your photo indicates the following possibilities:

(1) You have too much blade exposed.  Check for cutlines in the mat beneath the materials. If those lines are so deep that you can feel them with your fingernail, then reduce the blade exposure.  I realize you stated that you've tested this, but for sure, if there are cut lines, that is the first thing to change. 

(2) If you reduce the blade exposure so that there are no lines in the mat or only faint ones and the corners are still crumpling, then it could be too high of a cutting force. What pressure did you use for cutting this particular material and what is the brand and weight of this paper?

(3) If reducing the force then doesn't fix the problem, it's most likely the material itself. As @Di-lite suggested, any materials exposed to humidity can "crumple" a bit when cutting.  Try drying your paper in a warm oven that's shut off.  In other words, preheat your oven to the lower temperature and turn it off. Then place your material on a cookie sheet and set it in the oven for about 15 minutes.  After it's cooled for a minute or two, try cutting it again. 

I have a flowchart you might want to use for test cutting materials. It's the exact method I always use to optimize my settings. Here's a link to it:

http://www.iloveknk.com/2015/06/test-cutting-materials-a-troubleshooting-flow-chart/

Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit
    Need help with your KNK? Visit this link: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest KNK / MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
  • leslie6111leslie6111 Member Posts: 2,343
    If the blue stuff  is the type of card stock that has a sort of textured plasticy  top layer with a white core - I find it not a good card stock for a drag blade cutter. I do not use that for anything other than large shapes or card backing. I bought a ton of the expensive coordinates cardstock when I first got a cutter and I still have most of it. I just use solid core smooth cardstock these days. As far as the test cut material - I agree with the others - your card stock needs to be dried.  I keep mine in zip lock jumbo bags once I open a pack. The Georgia Pacific stuff get very limp fast where I live. I sometimes have to run a heat gun over it if I let it sit out for any length of time uncovered. A new blade does help - the newr the blade the cleaner the cut.
  • Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,151
    That happened to me on the KNK Force - when I reduced the blade it resolved it but getting it exactly right so that it cuts the card and not the mat is very fiddly with a soft card.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,801
    edited May 11
    I wondering in you suporting the front portion of the mat as I though it appears there has been a sudden change in position during the cut on the blue card possibly cause by the mat slipping
    sometime when front of the mat is left sag down at the front that can cause the back end of the mat or the back end of the card to lift slightly and catch on where the mat passes through to the rear of the cutter

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files