We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

basic popup background using MTC [Resolved]

tvoss123tvoss123 Member Posts: 208
edited May 7 in Resolved Issues
Hi folks,
I am going to have a small group of seniors make a couple of popup cards and I wanted to cut the base using MTC.  After deciding to do the simplest kind of popup, I looked for a file. No go in mtc. However I did find a jpg of the cuts that would work for me.  I did a pixel trace, but of course got an unworkable file. For the life of me I cannot figure out what to do. Yes I am rusty on designing.This is what I want to do, but to cut these by hand for the ladies is not what I want to do. Help!
Post edited by Gabe on

Comments

• Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,151
    Hi, not sure if this is what you want but I followed your measurement to the letter and created this in MTC.  Hope this gives you a head start!
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
  • MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,009
    I was going to "explain" how to do what you wanted - but Di already provided you with an actual file.  Perhaps, once you look at it you will "see" what you needed to do to create it.  It would be very simple to do so if you want someone to "explain" how to do it let us know.
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
  • tvoss123tvoss123 Member Posts: 208
    I would love an explanation @MeFlick .  Thank you so much @Di-lite .  I cannot tell you how relieved I am.  I need to make samples for Monday and the class will be on the 17th. I will post pictures when I get my samples made.
    I am ashamed to say that I bought the PCS but never used it as I prefer to use my Mac.
  • Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,151
    No probs. Just thought that as you wanted it urgently so I'd did it for you.  If MeFlick can explain what I did (which was relatively simple) I'd appreciated it as I would make a hash of explaining.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
  • leslie6111leslie6111 Member Posts: 2,345
    It would have been overkill to do this in PCS anyway. I also mostly design on a MAC but have a win 7 laptop with both MTC and PCS as well for those times when I want to make a popup card and it would be too complicated to do it on MTC alone. Susan showed us in an early webinar how to make popups in MTC alone - and you could have done this even if you didn't already have the measurements in your template already marked. The key is that the pop up will pop out or up ( and that is it the right in your template) as much as it is below the center fold line. Then you want to change where they connect the cut to the hatched or fold lines. So in your example - the center will pop up 3.25 inches and out 1.25 inches.
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,806
    edited May 17
    This is one of the thing I think scal does better as it has some alignment guides that would assist almost free drawing something like this

edit: Bryan has point out that MTC's snapping function could be used to assist with alignment

my way in MTC is more involved

When I look at a pattern I want to replicate i first look at it as lines and corner nodes and what i can use to position those node at the correct spacing

You could eye ball aligning but I don't do Eye Balling so I guess some would say my way of designing is rather over the top

so here are all the corner nodes

to create those nodes i would use straight lines and use the end node begins with a 4 red lines

Create 4 straight lines 4" long set x position of all to "1

to make the math easy I positions the top line a x position of 1" (so you'd add "1 to the measurements)

set y on line 1 to "1
    set y on line 2 to 1.75"
    set y on line 3 to 4.00"
    set y on line 4 to 4.75"

select all the 4 line and duplicate 2x column
    the select that duplicate and set the length to 1.25"

duplicate that duplicate 2x column
    the select the new duplicate and set the length to 2"

select the new and duplicate 2x column
    the select that duplicate and set the length to 1.25"

select the new and duplicate 2x column
    the select that duplicate and set the length to 2"

Now i use the node edit and remove the horozontial line that are Not required

Then use the pencil and holding ctrl add the vertical line

then break the node at the end of each fold lines
    then do a break
    the select all the fold line and move the to another layer and hide that layer

do a fuse and weld

unhide the layer the contains the fold lines select the fold line and set style to dashed

Post edited by Crazy_Mr_Zing on
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    Thank you all so much.  I really appreciate it.  And you are correct @Di-lite in that I needed it this weekend and have too much on my plate to try to learn something new as well.