We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

MTC 4.1

FATMANFATMAN Member Posts: 5
Hello my brain is melting from so many hours of you tube research. Any help would be great. I recently inherited a cutter and an old xp machine which had MTC 4.1 on it, with the CD. It looks like something I could play with with my grandaughters when they grow a bit, they are only 2 yrs old now. The program looks fairly easy, and sufficient for my needs, BUT, the hard drive has died. I have had someone try to recover the data on it without much success. Obviously this means I will have to load MTC up to my own PC and I guess buy another license. It seems that I cannot do this for this version, but I dont want a new version of MTC, it isnt going to be used enough to justify that expense. Where can I buy a license for 4.1 and how much is it please

Many thanks

Comments

• SBryanWSBryanW Administrator Posts: 5,270
    A valid registration key can be used to register any version of Make The Cut! except for the 2.2.1 version.  Old versions are not available, but if your CD has the correct version you need, then you can purchase a new registration key by copying and pasting the link below into your browser:
    https://shopper.mycommerce.com/checkout/cart/new/55354-1?quantity=1&linkid=SBryanW&ss_coupon=MTC-WKCE-HNY&affiliate=617274

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,809
    edited April 28
    What machine do you have ?
    Maybe the manufacturers software might be more suitable
    some manufactures offer a free basic software package
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • FATMANFATMAN Member Posts: 5
    Its an old thing, at least 2011 and called an Expression Cricut

SBryanW said:
    A valid registration key can be used to register any version of Make The Cut! except for the 2.2.1 version.  Old versions are not available, but if your CD has the correct version you need, then you can purchase a new registration key by copying and pasting the link below into your browser:
    https://shopper.mycommerce.com/checkout/cart/new/55354-1?quantity=1&linkid=SBryanW&ss_coupon=MTC-WKCE-HNY&affiliate=617274

Thanks for this. Even with a discount, 60 quid is way more than I would want to pay a/ for an old machine and software, and b/ for something that will only get used half a dozen times a year. I guess I will need to look for another program
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,464
    @FATMAN - I think the point is there are no other programs that will work with the cutter you have inherited other than the free software made available for that cutter by its manufacturer. ProvoCraft, the manufacturer of that cutter, brought lawsuits against any developer that made software that worked with their cutters (including Make The Cut! and Sure Cuts A Lot (SCAL). Their goal was to sell the cutters cheap and make people pay for expensive cartridges to use with the cutters. Kind of like the shaver manufacturers...buy the shaver cheap but pay through the nose to get blades for it. 
    I guess that lawsuit would be in the US. It wouldnt be allowed in Europe, See EU versus Apple and EU Versus Microsoft, but that is really irelevant. So unless I can retrieve the old reg No, I guess I would be stuffed and have to pay through the nose or get another cutter. Shame, this could have been a cool piece of grandpa/granddaughter time Thank you all for your help and advice
  • GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,375
    @Fatman, I would also point out that it is highly likely that you will use a cutter much more than you reckon at this point.  Once you show your grand daughters that they can make their own greeting cards, paper doll clothes, special designs for homework, paper lace, jigsaw puzzles, and much more, it is likely they will want to use it just about every day.

And it's not just about the girls.  You, too, will discover a plethora of things you can make with a cutter.  Make and cut your own business cards.  Cut out cardboard airplane gliders.  Use vinyl to decorate many items, like glass windows, walls in your home, drinking cups, metal lunch boxes or your car.  And once you start, you will find other things that you can do with a cutter.

I've never been a fan of companies that try to control their customers. First time I became aware was when Texas Instruments made a computer that would only work when you plugged in a cartridge that contained a game, so you couldn't use it without buying cartridges from them.  They even put the BASIC programming software on a cartridge so you couldn't make your own games without paying them first.

When it comes to cutters, again, I am not a fan of any cartridge based systems.  My suggestion for you would be to take a look at a Facebook group called "Used Craft Cutters for Sale", where you will find listings of many gently used cutters.  And mostly they are non cartridge based.  Of course, that is an option for the future. For now I hope you can find what you want and wow those little girls in a couple of years.
    Thanks Gabe, Yes i guess it may happen. I will take a look at the FB group, thank you.
  • hwganghwgang Member Posts: 2,797
    @FATMAN First of all, welcome to the forum!

Just so you know. the original Cricut Expression, (Not the version 2), is now selling for premium prices on eBay. Not sure why, but check out the "solds" and prepared to be surprised. You could sell that, but a nice little used "Zing" and perhaps come out ahead! (You'd still need to buy the software if you can't recover the registration code. (Or perhaps the person you inherited it from could.) If you do that, you could use it as is on the Cricut, or you could upgrade to the last version, but then, due to the lawsuit, you wouldn't be able to cut on the Expression because the drivers were disabled.

The bonus is that the Cricut machines never did cut very accurately so another machine would be a real step up.

I started out with a used Expression in 2009 because I, too, wasn't even sure I'd use it.  Just as Gabe said, I soon discovered what a wide range of things could be done.

I'm now on my fifth machine and a KNK evangelist. I never upgraded because anything went wrong, just because I wanted newer features and a bigger cutting surface.

What touched me most is what you are planning to do even as your granddaughters are only 2. So sweet! You must be one heck of a Grandpa! 
    Lynne
    Moderation in All Things should be Practiced Sparingly
    In KNK Love with my Zing, Eagle and the Support!