We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Creating a stencil

minicuriosminicurios Member Posts: 16
edited April 24 in General
Hi Everyone,

After some advice please... I have pixel traced a design but it appears that I may have too many nodes. I have tried auto simplifying the file many times and I am down to 3500 nodes approx. What is the maximum amount of nodes a file should contian? My SNC can't open the design as it is too "complicated>"

What am I doing wrong?  I will continue on with my research and if anyone can direct me to a good youtube video on stencil making it would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Angie
Post edited by minicurios on

Comments

• SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,014
    Try selecting your shapes and then clicking on the wrench icon and selecting Flatten Paths. See if that makes a difference with your import.

Regarding stencil making, if you are referring to bridging internal paths to the outside, then watch this one:

Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Air
    Need help with your KNK? Visit this link: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    KNK / MTC Videos: http://bit.ly/1kmAcoO
    Latest KNK / MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,656
    I think i may be a little difficult to pin point where thing went a little of track

I think it better if you attach the MTC file as sometimes it provide a few more options for us to work back from

is this the sort of thing you looking for

if saw a few issues with you file
    the gaps between the rocks are separate to the frame to the pattern be cut apart
    and you rock are over lapping in places

This is how I fix you file up a little

-Do a layer
    -Move the rock pattern to a new layer
    -With only the rock pattern selected create a inset shadow I use -0.005 but you could experiment a little
    - hide the layer the contain original rock pattern
    - select the both the rock pattern and the rectangle and do a join

Now because the gap between the rocks originally didn't past fully through on some edges (mainly on the right side)

I used the inverse eraser to make them past through (A)

Also there maybe are a few artifacts around the edge to inverse erase (B)

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,656
    edited April 25
    I found the rock pattern you traced in

rocks.png

Trace the image in and create a rectangle

Select the pattern and rectangle then press S to stack

Do a join

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files