We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Cutting chipboard - and gluing it together for thicker panels.

RLWemmRLWemm Member Posts: 10
edited April 22 in Resolved Issues

My Black Cat Cougar Pro machine is cutting Dick Blick "medium weight" chipboard, which is 0.05", but it takes about 15-20 passes, and three or four changes of blade depth, to get through it.  Needless to say, I take it slowly (about 100 on the Black Cat Cougar Pro) so as not to heat stress the blade. 

I can glue the cardboard together  (with Elmers All-purpose Glue) although it does not like the glue very much.  I have to spread the load under a piece of REAL chipboard, and hold this down with  6 - 8 full Torani syrup bottles.  I leave it for several hours and then test for flatness and make sure that it is all stuck down.   At the moment I am gluing just two cutouts together to make earring holders in some large strawberry boxes, free from Costco.   I will paint it all with black undercoat and then cover it with glue and spray on black flocking on the inside. 

For my next project I am intending to glue about ten sheets together in order to make a 3D stepped cut-outs mold that I will use to make garden pots.  That is, the panels will be pentagons with a cut-out design starting at layer 1 and getting smaller until it disappears at layer 7 or 8.  The last couple of layers are simply support backing, which will, themselves, be backed by something that adds support and keeps it rigid - like Foam Spray (light) or Plaster of Paris (heavy and not waterproof unless painted).   

I will either glue several panels together and cover it with latex rubber to make a mold which will then be used to make the pot. 

Or I could use the initial mold to make several plaster of paris blocks that I can assemble, and THEN make the latex rubber mold from that.

I will have to waterproof the panel, or panels, first.  I have several possibilities here. 

*  External waterproof wood-workers glue.

* Mis-tinted Latex paint.

* Several coats of brush on latex for mold making (which will round the edges of the dimensional cut-outs).

* Brush on epoxy.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• leslie6111leslie6111 Member Posts: 2,348
    edited April 22
    What if you use fun foam instead of chipboard to make your molds or material like that since it is already water proof and can be cut more easily. You can use hot glue to secure it and maybe tape over the hot glue seams with duct tape if they leak too badly. 2mm fun foam might be rigid enough. It comes thicker as well. It can also be shaped with heat - they use this kind of material for costumes - coplay.
This discussion has been closed.