We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Best Silhouette Machine to use with MTC [Resolved]

katefromIAkatefromIA Member Posts: 27
edited April 10 in Resolved Issues
Hello All,
I am fairly new here and am looking into getting a new machine to cut basically Vinyl with.  I have seen in previous posts the the Silhouette Cameo 3 does not work well with MTC. I was thinking I want a smaller Machine, similar to the Silhouette brand but I want to use it exclusively with MTC as I am familiar with the program.

If the Cameo 3 does not work well with MTC, what are your suggestions for a smaller machine other than Cricut Brand, that will work well with MTC for vinyl cutting?

Thanks so much
Kate
Post edited by Gabe on

Comments

• MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 8,934
    edited April 10
    You would need to get an original Cameo or Cameo 2 as they are the ones that are known to work with MTC with the Silhouette Plugin (or the smaller original SD or Portrait machines.)  Since the Cameo 3 introduces 2 tools at once, MTC will not work with that correctly.

Other machines may not work directly with MTC because they do not have a plugin or updated plugins, but that doesn't mean you couldn't still use MTC in some form.  You could for example, use MTC to create the files and export out as SVG and then import the SVG into that cutter's program simply as a "pass through" for cutting purposes.  Several do this with the Pazzle Vue for example.  It can be done with other cutters as well as long as their software imports SVG files.  You might also look into KNK's new Zing Orbit as well.
    Post edited by MeFlick on
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
  • katefromIAkatefromIA Member Posts: 27
    Thank you very much! So, as long as I get the original Cameo or Cameo 2, it sounds like these would be the least complicated and will work directly with MTC.

Can you tell me if the Cameo and Cameo 2, work directly with MTC - or will I need to go through the Silhouette software, essentially cutting from Silhouette software & not MTC? - If that makes sense! :smiley:
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,194
    @katefromIA - MTC cuts directly to the mentioned Silhouette machines, as long as the Silhouette Plugin for MTC has been downloaded and installed.
  • bossie1bossie1 Member Posts: 673
    I use MTC all the time wth my cameo 2. Works perfect. I never even bothered learning the Sil software.
  • katefromIAkatefromIA Member Posts: 27
    Thank you all so very much! I am glad I came here for direction.  You have all been very helpful.  Can't wait to order!
  • SassyLady_LisaSassyLady_Lisa Member Posts: 1,096
    I have a silhouette portrait that works beautifully with MTC.  There is a trick to getting a great print n cut with it, but I did learn Silhouette Studio and upgraded to designer edition too.  I purchased a Cameo 3 for Christmas and use MTC to design most of the time and export as SVG and import to SSDE.  
    Loving MTC even more every day!
  • Little_BerryLittle_Berry Member Posts: 5,748
    I don't think you even have to install the Silhouette software as long s you have the FTDI drivers installed on your computer