We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

MTC cutting extra lines

RogueMageRogueMage Member Posts: 11
edited April 9 in Help for Make The Cut
PLEASE help! MTC is cutting lines that are not there! I have a very simple design, and I've double checked to make sure the lines aren't invisible or something, but there are cuts all through that should NOT be there! I am at a complete loss...I've attached the file...if anybody can give me a clue or fix it... PLEASE!! Need ASAP! I have a KNK Maxx Air...

Thanks in advance!!
RM
Post edited by RogueMage on

Best Answers

Answers

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,563
    @RogueMage - you need to show what is cutting that is not in the file. When I opened your file there were a series of dashed lines viewable. The setting was just for Outline. However when Fill/Outline was chosen a whole lot more showed up on the mat, like this:

So yes, there is more to the file than what you may see. That shape will also cut. Try using a Break to remove the bits you do not want to cut.

• RogueMageRogueMage Member Posts: 11
    edited April 9
    Thank you, but the issue is on the first page as well...which is a very simple flower petal outline. I've uploaded a picture now... There are two tabs in the design...its the one labeled "CUT." Though now that I've tried the "Score" one as well, I am getting the very same out of place cuts in the same places!! I just tried another design I've used in the past with no problem--and its doing the same thing!!! 
    @RogueMage - did you change the setting here:

What version of MTC are you using?
    OK older versions of MTC would likely not be able to open the file. So your version I am going to conclude is the current one.

Check that the blade holder has not become loose so that the blade is not being controlled any more. That has happened to me. It would explain the additional cuts on the flower shape.
    Hi, Liz-- thank  you!  I did change the setting...still the same issue. I am running MTC 4.6.2. I've tried changing the blade, readjusting the offset, changing the pressure--everything I could think of! I'm starting to think my machine is possessed!

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,920
    edited April 9
    This sounds a little silly but I'm wondering it you fuse all the open nodes would make a difference
    flower box1 fused.mtc
    It look a bit like the blade is not lifting so staying down during the blade up movements
    you didn't just change the blade and loose the little spring ??? maybe I got this wrong been some thing since i use a knk blade /holder

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    OK if you look at Cut Preview, there are no extra lines. However if you look at View Path Detail you can see the lines that are showing in the cut. I am going to suggest that this file came from an SVG unfriendly program, and it does not import well into MTC. Where did the file originate? We saw artefacts like this in older versions of MTC, when it started supporting SVG files. But Andy fixed that a long time ago.
    edited April 9
    @RogueMageFlatten Paths to fix this problem, then do a Fuse n Weld - those are found on the Shape Magic => Advanced menu (right click shape).
    Ahhh! Okee. let me try this!!  And the file came from Corel Draw.  Is there a way to cut directly from the newer Corel Draw versions?  I may not try until tomorrow though... tired and hungry, LOL!  But I'll let you know as soon as I do--and thanks again!!!
    Liz_A said:
    OK if you look at Cut Preview, there are no extra lines. However if you look at View Path Detail you can see the lines that are showing in the cut. I am going to suggest that this file came from an SVG unfriendly program, and it does not import well into MTC. Where did the file originate? We saw artefacts like this in older versions of MTC, when it started supporting SVG files. But Andy fixed that a long time ago.
    Oooh, I think you are onto something!! But where is theView Path Detail ?  It is probably staring me in the face, but I can't seem to find it!  However I did find the Flatten Paths and Fuse n Weld just like you said...and will try cutting again after I get some shut eye--and buy more paper, LOL!!Crazy_Mr_Zing said:
    This sounds a little silly but I'm wondering it you fuse all the open nodes would make a difference
    flower box1 fused.mtc
    It look a bit like the blade is not lifting so staying down during the blade up movements
    you didn't just change the blade and loose the little spring ??? maybe I got this wrong been some thing since i use a knk blade /holder

Thank you Mr. Zing!  Nope, not silly at all!! :smiley:   

Thank you Liz!! Such a simple thing...and yet so frustrating, LOL!!! 
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,920
    What file format are you saving to in corel draw and them import to MTC svg, eps ?
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    SVG...though I can do DFX, DWG, SVGZ, EPS and a couple of others. I thought SVG would be the easiest though...

edited April 9
    @RogueMage - know that not all programs support the SVG format totally according to the specifications of the SVG file format. That was very evident in our initial testing of the KNK Force and its C3 cutting program. MTC does a better job of following the SVG specification that some other programs - what version of CorelDraw are you using. Continue to use SVG, just remember that you may have these issues. View Path Detail is on the same menu as where you found Flatten Paths and Fuse N Weld...look closer to the bottom of the menu. A very key thing to remember with CorelDraw, is that those dashed lines are a line style, but the underlying SVG may says its a line, so they may not cut as dashed lines, MTC will cut a line - remember MTC does what the SVG says to do, which may be different from what you see, as you have experienced. MTC does have a dashed line style, that actually cuts dashed lines =).

The other thing is that always have Fill/Outline showing under Mat Configuration. If the shape opens on the mat and is not filled with a green colour (the colour is dependent on the mat you choose in the Mat Configuration), then the shape is not properly "closed". 

Lastly, here is a link to the User Manual. The first 2 chapters are cutter specific, but the rest is all about how to use MTC:

http://www.iloveknk.com/0um/KNKZing/KNKZingwithMTCUserManual.pdf
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,137
    The SVG format should work just fine.  The new KNK Force has no problems cutting SVG files created in Corel Draw and it's very finicky. 
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit
    Need help with your KNK? Visit this link: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest KNK / MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
    I have Corel Draw X8 and Corel Draw X7 Technical. Is there a setting or similar "flatening" command I can do within CD before saving or exporting as SVG? 

Again, Thank You  Everyone for all your help!!
     RM

edited April 10
    LIz, Sandy, and Mr. Zing--
    Again, thank you all for your help! Each one of you was SO right... and I learned a lot! I am still learning the CorelDraw Tech 7 and plan on updating. Does anyone know if I can cut directly from Corel or if there is a bridge program? I like it mostly because I use a a graphics tablet and can draw directly on it with my pens and airbrushes, etc. I find I have much more control using those than a mouse. Is this maybe in the works for MTC as well? I would SO love that... I have a Wacom Intuos...and parts of MTC work, but I have issues with line type, join and weld. All the clicking in the world, both with the pen and with the tablet buttons don't seem to accomplish anything. Other than that, it has been great for getting the base shapes and lines drawn.

RM

@RogueMage - I have a very old Wacom tablet, and it works in MTC. I do mostly use the mouse however for designing. No, sadly direct cutting from CorelDraw is not supported. I think some cutters like USI ones have a CorelDraw plugin you get when you purchase them, and I believe the Silhouette cutters have one too. You can try a copy and then Paste Special from CorelDraw to MTC if that helps. Happy Cutting!
This discussion has been closed.