We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Gazelle is not cutting correctly - MTC or machine problem?

RainRain Member Posts: 44
Hi!

I have a Gazelle and it has suddenly stopped cutting properly.  I have tried a new blade in a new holder and files from different sources.  Even files that previously cut properly are now messed up.  Circles cut as open swirls, and corners (and sometimes the middle of a straight line) have these sharp jags that come off of them.  It was cutting fine and then all of a sudden it wasn't.  I haven't changed a thing.  Please see the attached picture for an example of what I'm talking about.

Is this my Gazelle or the MTC program?  Can anyone please help me with this problem?  I need to have some decals ready this week and this just isn't going to be acceptable.

@juliefes Do you have any idea what might cause this or how I can fix it?

Thanks so much!

Amy

Comments

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,462
    @Rain - check the setting for the OFFSET for the blade. What you are seeing is definitely indicative of an incorrect setting for the offset of the blade being used.
  • RainRain Member Posts: 44
    @Liz_A  It is set at 0.30, which I believe is what it has been set at all along.  I have not purposely or knowingly changed that setting.  Is that the correct offset setting?

Thank you!
    And, if it matters as far as the offset is concerned, I'm using the vinyl blade from Bosskut rather than the regular all-purpose blade.
    The loop effect usually means the offset is too high. Did you change the blade recently?
    Other suggested possibilities, the blade is dull or chipped.
    Yes, I have tried a new blade and a new holder today.  I've tried offsets 0.3, 0.45, 3.0, and 0.0.  The 3.0 is markedly worse, but the others are all similarly bad.
    or a piece of vinyl has managed to wedge itself up the shaft of the blade inside the blade holder, and the blade cannot swivel properly.
    The piece of vinyl is possible, but it's doing this with two different blade holders, so I'm thinking that's not likely.
    Even running the machine's test cut results in the crazy jag offshoot cuts.  I am just about at my wit's end with this machine.
    @Rain - go back to basics. Put a square, a circle and rectangle from basic shapes on the mat and cut those. How do they do?
    @Liz_A  They all have a little jag cut.   :s  This is back on 0.30 offset, like it has always been.

And you have checked that the blade is not dragging? Those lines are where the cut starts and ends. I see the corner on the square is curved, which again says wrong offset. I would start with a new blade that I absolutely know is the correct blade for the offset you are choosing. Also, are these new blades you just purchased? Not unusual for there to be an offset difference between different lots of blades.
    It may be dragging.  I changed to a white piece of vinyl and there is a gray smear around every cut line.  

The blade is new, ordered in October with three other identical blades.  I have used two of those blades already.  The first did fine, the second did fine until one day it didn't.  The same with this gray smear.  It never did that, then one day it did.  I had forgotten about it doing that and didn't realize it could be related.  I've tried to fix the gray smear issue, but couldn't get it to cut properly without making the smear.  I'll adjust the blade (again!!) and see if I can get it to cut while not smearing and not making those jags.  

Ugh.  I've been dealing with this for hours.
    @Rain - I don't know anything about Gazelle cutters, but grey smear suggests that the bottom of the blade holder is on the media. How much of the blade tip is showing? 
    @Liz_A  Here is the secondary issue...  If I adjust the blade out far enough that it doesn't make the gray smear, it cuts all the way through the paper backing of the vinyl.  I have fooled with this issue before until my eyes watered.  There is no spot where the blade doesn't cut through the backing AND there is no gray smear.  But, it did that for a while without making these extra jag cuts.  That's why I didn't connect that issue to the new one before now.
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,805
     Does the Gazelle plugin have a force setting ?
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    @Crazy_Mr_Zing  No, the force is only set by using the buttons on top of the Gazelle.
    Just to be clear, I'm trying to keep the force on setting one in order to cut down on the gray smears.  Therefore, I'm just adjusting the blade.  I have been working with it more and I still can't get it set right.  It leaves a gray smear unless I adjust it out so far that it cuts through the paper backing.  Regardless of all that, the circles are still open swirls - essentially, they all look like the number 6.
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,805
    I don't know what you blade holder on the gazelle is like and really can see how this would be the cause but 
    Is the blade in the blade holder correctly , not missing a spring or support bushing

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    Yes, I do believe that everything is in proper working order and is installed correctly.  And I have used two different blades and blade holders with the same results, so that further makes me believe that it's not an issue with a spring or bushing or something similar.
    @Rain - ok so again I do not know much about the Gazelle, but I have 11 years of other cutter use. How much room do you have in the blade assembly with the blade holder to adjust the height of the blade holder up and down? Is there some limitation like a lip on the blade holder?

Try this method, this is how we do it with KNK cutters (except the new Force):

- Adjust the tip of the blade so that it is only sticking out enough to penetrate the thickness of your media. I lay the tip of the blade against the edge of the paper to determine if the blade is too much or not.

- Place your media on the mat. Get a stack of 25 post it notes...count out 25 of them, rip them off and then tape the open edge, one piece of tape starting on the back and going around the open edge and up the front is good enough.

- Now push the mat (with media) into the cutter, put the post it stack under the blade assembly, and add the blade holder. Let the tip of the blade rest on the post it stack. Now tighten into place. Remove the post it stack (very important! trust me I have forgotten a few times)

-Position and clamp the mat in place

You are now ready to cut. Try cutting the 3 shapes. If it cuts through the backing on the vinyl, then there is too much blade tip AND/OR too much pressure. For vinyl on a mat, you should barely FEEL the blade tip let alone see it. Sometimes a very light pressure or force and 2 passes makes for better success.
  • juliefesjuliefes Member Posts: 4,836
    You can add an O ring to the blade holder under the lip, so that it sits a bit higher on the carriage. Reduce the offset to .25 or lower if necessary, when using the vinyl blade. Use Force 1, and speed 1 or 2. Try using a new mat. Make sure that the back side of the mat is not sticky. Also make sure that there is no sticky residue on the rollers and cutting strip. Check to make sure that there is nothing sitting behind the cutter to impede the progress of the mat moving in and out of the machine during cutting. Make sure that the blade holder is secure in the carriage. 
This discussion has been closed.