We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Installing font

AuntJAuntJ Member Posts: 193
I purchased a bundle of TTF files and most I had no issue with. This one, however, says it's TTF but will not load into MTC. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,362
    @AuntJ - I googled to find this font, found an OTF version. Are you trying to load it from within a zip file?
  • AuntJAuntJ Member Posts: 193
    Yes, it was in a bundle. Ive had no problem with most of the bundle. It came with OTF and TTF files. I have loaded the TTF file and it will show up in my Silhouette Studio but it shows no characters in MTC. I originally tried to import it from a separate folder and when that didn't work I added it to my fonts.
    It was originally in a zip file but I've unzipped it and most of the fonts I had no issues with. there were only a couple that are not showing up.
    Here is the file... it shows TTF

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,649
    edited April 7
    Some fonts don't include all Normal, bold or italic variants you could try selecting each of those variants see if anything is displayed

I see in your image you have bold enable maybe this font doesn't include a bold variant
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    No, that doesn't seem to make a difference. I closed out MTC (someone else suggested b/c it was open when I downloaded the files), downloaded again, and tried without the bold. Still nothing.
    MTC is not compatible with the OTF format is it?

@AuntJ - of course MTC is compatible with OTF fonts and has been for a very long time =) I have tons of OTF fonts that work just fine in MTC. What is different, I noted in the description is it says OpenType Layout, and TrueType Outlines. In the OTF fonts I looked at that work in MTC, they say OpenType Layout, and PostScript Outlines. Maybe that is the problem.
    More information: OpenType with PostScript outlines is supported by the latest versions of Adobe Type Manager, and is natively supported in Windows 2000. Apple has also announced its intent to support OpenType, and supplies Japanese system fonts for Mac OS X in OpenType form with PostScript outlines.
    more info difference between TrueType Outlines and PostScript outlines:

http://www.typophile.com/node/107870
    I would contact the website where you bought the font, and explain the problem to them. Maybe they can substitute for something else that will work in MTC. Doubtful we will ever see a fix in MTC, if it is a matter of adding support for this combo in the OTF font format.
    edited April 8
    Lastly, when you view the font and its glyphs in MTC, make sure the option All Glyphs is checked and scroll down the list very slowly (I use the down arrow keys), the glyphs may be located elsewhere.

I have checked all the OTF fonts that I have downloaded since 2009, they all have PostScript Outlines. Check the rest of the fonts you got in that zip file that work OK in MTC.
  • juliefesjuliefes Member Posts: 4,826
    Make sure that Bold is not selected in the Font Window.
  • GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,345
    If you have a font viewing program, you could load that font in to see what characters it has available.  Sometimes the font designers include large blank spaces between different styles.  Like you could have italic glyphs and then 24 blank spaces, followed by the Bold glyphs, etc.  The font viewer might be able to show you if something like that is happening. 
    I've checked all glyphs and no luck, also unchecking bold has no effect. In the past when I've loaded OTF font's and then tried to weld it will crash my MTC. That's why I was under the impression that they were not compatible. This font does work in my Silhouette studio but I almost never use that program as I prefer MTC. I will see if I can contact the place that I purchased the download and see if they have any further information. Thank you for your help.
    @AuntJ - always a good idea to go back to where you bought it. As I mentioned, I have a lot of OTF fonts, can't say I recall any of them crashing MTC. 
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,649
    edited April 12
    Maybe totally unrelated but today in MTC
     In the Text and Font tool bar
    When I had show type faces enabled the font title list showed many entries blank
    all the show was the TT icon
    When I disabled show type faces the list returned to normal

Restart MTC did not resolve this issue
    Restart my PC did resolve the issue

My first thought it may have been because I had used sil studio before or had both Sil Studio and MTC open at the same time
    But I retried this and cannot replicate the issue i was having

Maybe it was just my PC or MTC being flakey

Post edited by Crazy_Mr_Zing on
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files