We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

MTC Refusing to save registration code

srausrau Member Posts: 1
I have been using MTC for 2 months now, and randomly today when I was attempting to cut something everything on screen appeared as though it were but the blade moved to the far left and sat there, not moving or cutting. I attempted to re-boot the program and now it asks for my registration code every single time i open it, and it won't allow me to 'paste' so i have to manually enter, which it accepts, however at the top of the screen it says 'wine' not 'make the cut' like it used to once I've entered the code.
After this i attempt to open a project and everything freezes. I therefore have to re-boot and start all over, nothing is working. I also attempted to not open a project and just create something new and print but it always freezes. I have yet to delete and re-install the entire program, but I will if I have too.
Please help.

Comments

• leslie6111leslie6111 Member Posts: 2,348
    Ok you must be on a mac - wine is not used with a pc. It might be a good idea.Use the app cleaner for clean install and download the program again. Be sure to allow your gatekeeper to take apps from non apple developers. Sierra requires that you change this in there terminal at the command level to have that option show. Also make sure you drag the drivers again over. To input your reg key you cannot use the short cut keys on a mac, you can however use cut and paste from the toolbar within the program. That took me a long time to figure that out.

edited April 7
    There is a fix disc utility on a mac  - first aid that might help. You also should check to see that you didn't hit the limit switch inadvertently on your cutter. You didn't mention what cutter you are using either - please if you want better help - the cutter and the operating system and version of MTC.
  • MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,039
    First, welcome to the MTC forum.  Second, if I were having this problem I would first do as Leslie recommended and try to delete MTC off by using the recommended App Cleaner, then reinstalling the program.  

If this doesn't work, or If you continue to have problems, I would log a support ticket directly with MTC support before doing anything else.  You can do that via their system here:http://www.make-the-cut.com/Support/ - This will get you the best help directly from MTC.  They do not monitor this forum regularly.  It is just users helping users.

Also, as Leslie also noted - you want to make sure that the gatekeeper on the Mac OS is set to take non-apple developers (Finder-->Security & Privacy).  The OS before Sierra gave you that option to change, however they "removed" it from a users view with the release of Sierra.  However, you don't have to go to the terminal/command level to do that. You can make an "exception for a program" by doing a "Control-Click" as you open the program and this will be saved as an exception to the security settings.  See this link here for details: https://support.apple.com/kb/PH25750?locale=en_US&viewlocale=en_US
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,920
    Just a comment from the peanut gallery as I know nothing about MAC

Did you have the latest MAC version of MTC installed ?
    I just thought if you had the previous MTC version and you update your OS that might be cause issues
    Although I guess the would have been an update from yosemite
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    Just a comment from the peanut gallery as I know nothing about MAC

Did you have the latest MAC version of MTC installed ?
    I just thought if you had the previous MTC version and you update your OS that might be cause issues
    Although I guess the would have been an update from yosemite
    The latest version of MTC for the Mac is 4.6.1 and this is what is downloaded from the MTC home page if you go and download it (I just did so to verify that I was correct.) The last "update" to the Mac MTC was in Oct. 2015 when Andy updated it to fix the Wineskin portion of the install so that it ran correctly with El Capitan (found the old thread where this was noted to verify that date.)  The Wine program has previously needed to be updated when Apple updated the OS X to Yosemite OS X in 2014 and El Capitan in late 2015. Once the Wine program fix was made, Andy updated MTC's Mac download/install to contain the updated Wineskin program to load and install correctly.  Sierra OS X was released in 2016 and there were not the same problems with the Wine program breaking and causing MTC not to be able to run that I am aware of.  

However the latest update to the Sierra OS X changed how their Gatekeeper security setting is working as noted.  I have a Mac computer that I have MTC running on  but had not updated yet to Sierra OS X until recently.  I had the Gatekeeper setting set to allow apps from non apple developers under El Capitan on it.  Once I updated to Sierra, there was an issue and I discovered that even though I had previously told it to allow apps from non Apple developers under Gatekeeper under El Capitan, it didn't seem to be working.  I then investigated further and found that in Sierra OS X, they have removed that option from being a "choice" in Finder-Security & Preferences and it appears that updating to Sierra "removed" that previously allowed permission from my computer when I updated.  Once I did the above as I outlined (Did the Control-Click while opening MTC), it creates the "exception" to allow it to be opened and used even if it is a non apple developer program and runs fine.  As I recall, I did not even have to uninstall and reinstall MTC. However, it was not having the errors that the OP has stated she was having with the registration number not holding so this may not be the problem/issue she is having.
    Go Vols!
    I have had to instal and reinstal MTC since I downloaded Sierra. I do this whenever I experience lots of crashes. You  have to make sure the gate keeper is set to all users. With Sierra you have to go into the terminal app to allow this, See to see how: http://osxdaily.com/2016/09/27/allow-apps-from-anywhere-macos-gatekeeper/.

I have had to instal and reinstal MTC since I downloaded Sierra. I do this whenever I experience lots of crashes. You  have to make sure the gate keeper is set to all users. With Sierra you have to go into the terminal app to allow this, See to see how: http://osxdaily.com/2016/09/27/allow-apps-from-anywhere-macos-gatekeeper/.

I did not have to go to the terminal app to allow it with Sierra on my Mac - I simply did the control click as I outlined earlier and this provides an exception with Gatekeeper for the App opened that way.  You only have to do it that one time, the first time you open the app - after that it works anytime you open it as explained here: https://support.apple.com/kb/PH25750?locale=en_US&viewlocale=en_US
    Go Vols!
This discussion has been closed.