We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

CUtter with Laser Option Accessory

Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,801
edited April 2 in Off Topic
I recall there being some discussion back when the force had just been released where someone suggested possibly fit a laser attachment to the Force
I think eventually it was thought that it wasn't such a great idea

Well it appears a Chinese manufacturer has done it
I can't imagine it meeting safety compliance in many countries

Appears they are only available direct from china

Seem this company is rather big on innovation the also list dual head machine ,

Machines with a camera like the Force . That automatically detect registration marks for print and cut .

also print and cut on long rolls that has reg at regular interval to ensure cut remains accurate

http://pmof0d261.pic31.websiteonline.cn/upload/hdyf.jpg

Its interesting the advances that are being made in this area
it was not so long ago the a laser pointer for setting alignment such a huge improvement in cutters 
Post edited by Crazy_Mr_Zing on
I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files

Comments

• Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,151
    Oh my that looks very clever.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,459
    The first cutter looks like the original KNK cutters, also the SB family (prior) - which were produced by Foison. The second one (green) looks quite like the Force without the front flip cover. I don't know who the manufacturer in China is for the Force.
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,064
    Starting with the Force, KNK USA (aka Accugraphics Sales, Inc) contracts its own factory in China rather than using companies like Foison. This change was to increase protection of original KNK designs and technology which Foison had no ethical problem sharing with other companies. It also helped reduce manufacturing costs.  

The laser light accessory concerns me a lot due to the danger involved if users don't follow specific warnings.  For example, I could see users deciding to see how the laser handles vinyl!  That's a huge no-no due to toxic gases produced when vinyl is burned.   Another concern is that a laser can be a fire hazard if left unattended. 

I'm not saying that this isn't a future accessory.  I'm just saying that I personally won't take on the liability even if KNK USA someday will. That's the one user manual I'm not writing.  
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit
    Need help with your KNK? Visit this link: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest KNK / MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
    I agree with you @SandyMcC. I think if I were to want to do this, I would be looking to the pros for equipment that is built with reliability and safety in mind. And I would definitely not want to be limited to the thickness of my media, like the limitations of thickness the aforementioned machines would. You could only work with thin wood, for example. This is more what I would want:

https://www.epiloglaser.ca/how-it-works/applications/wood-engraving.htm

Yes they are not cheap. Nor are they inexpensive =).
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,801
    I had similar thoughts with the laser but I was thinking of eye damage. from what I read this small laser diode are more hazardous the the larger co2 type as laser emit wavelengths which can cause instant permanent eye damage from.
    Then I thought about all the grunge that has to be cleaned out of proper enclosed laser units where that end on these inside the machine workings, on the walls and cleaning ? . a proper enclosed laser have fume extraction system
    Then there the fire risk

I was considering a small budget model laser cutter/ engraver  but as with every thing you get what you pay for the budget model a quite unreliable
    The cost of a more quality machine is too much for Hobby use so I came to my senses quickly.

Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    @Crazy_Mr_Zing - I was contracted to teach 2 laser technicians how to use CorelDraw a long time ago. They were learning how to use one of these machines. I lusted after it. Til I found out the price. That cooled my jets pretty quick. Still would love to have one, but not for the little I would use it would I ever be able to justify the cost. It was very cool to watch it work. They were labelling part numbers on piping for the oil patch.
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,801
    I think I have enough toys to outlast my stay on this planet LOL
    I was keen but the more I kept reading the more I was put off. I read the Laser tube in a co2 laser is a consumable item that degrades over time with or without use and their life can vary for a few years to a few months. I dare say manufacturing quality also play a part.
    I could of only just justify a small chinese K40 as a toy and that's a stretch bit seem it pot luck that you get one the works out of the box  or one that need much tld or doesn't have life threatening electrical issue. as they say you get what you pay for 

This discussion has been closed.