We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Mtc and mock ups

love2bmommylove2bmommy Member Posts: 36
I just recently learned how to make mock ups in photoshop and was making my files in mtc and then copy and pasting them into photoshop to make a mock up photo of my design.  It was working great and I was super exited but now all of a sudden when I try to edit and add color the whole image turns that color.  I don't know if I messed up a setting or what else I could be doing differently/wrong.  I have also tried saving in different formats and opening in photoshop but I have the same problem.  Any suggestions on how to fix my photoshop issue or for a better way to make mock ups from my mtc designs?

Comments

• love2bmommylove2bmommy Member Posts: 36
    I tried looking through the forums already but didn't find what I was looking for.  What I did see was that some are doing mockups right in make the cut.  But how do you color your images?
  • leslie6111leslie6111 Member Posts: 2,310
    If you have a closed shape then you can add color or texture to that shape. You can also export as a raster image from MTC.
    How do you close a shape?  I don't know what that means! lol  I did try the rastor but it didn't work. I just read somewhere about switching to constrast first so I am going to retry that now that you have mentioned it.  Can you point me in the directions of instructions on the "closing" so I can try that too? :)  Thanks!

the shape on the left is closed - the one on the right is a path and opened. The one on the left I can fill with a color or texture - the one on the right I cannot.
    You can use the pensil tool of node editing tool to close shapes

I did this by taking a digital black and white stamp and closing in the shapes so I could add texture and color and then added the stamp itself back.  I did this all in MTC.

Ido not think their are any instructions per say - you can check the manual on the node editing tools.
  • GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,321
    edited April 1
    @love2bmommy, a closed shape is just that, closed.  For example, let's say you have a square that you drew with 4 straight lines.  If you join the lines together to make a square you have created a shape.  In make the cut, if there are no openings in the shape, it will fill with color.  If you are using a pastel mat color like the default green, you can see all your closed shapes are green. For that square you drew, if you didn't quite get two lines that make a corner to touch, then the shape will not be closed and it will not fill with color.
    Okay, I am using fonts and shapes from the make the cut software and they are definitely closed based off of your description.  But they do not looked so closed when I add them to photoshop.  Like none of the pixels are touching, if that makes sense.  It does look like I can make it work if I use the contrast setting and export as a rastor.  I am playing with that now.  I am NOT a tech savvy person so it takes me a while to figure things out and only a split second to forget! lol
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,551
    Could you provide a MTC file that this not working for you
    or create a example MTC file if you want to keep you files private
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    The shapes in MTC are not raster (pixelated)  - they are vector - or in other words a path. If you export them as a raster to a jpg or png  you are converting them from vector to pixel so they are then pixilated.
    This is the file I was working on when I couldn't get the image to edit properly in photoshop.
    edited April 2
    I've been having tinkler using PS CS6

by edit do you mean to just add the fill colour or do you want to do other thing

object copies for MTC appear to paste as vector smart object in PS

I'm very much a learner of PS

Do you have Adobe Illustrator as it really simple , right click on the smart object layer and select edit contents this open the vector in AI where you can edit the vector (stroke and fill colors etc) then close and agree to save it back into PS

I'm still tinkering to see it there's a way to do similar solely in PS

I thought i was close pasting on a transparent background then rasterising the vector smart shape the using the paint bucket But the lines remain the original color 

this is from photshop

Post edited by Crazy_Mr_Zing on
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    If you are trying to fill the font separately then you'll have to break it from the heart - in your mtc file  there is only one shape - the cut font with the initials inside. I broke the font from the shape and colored the heart read and the font green.
    or even break out the letters
  • Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,028
    Have you tried print preview to see how it will print in MTC - it will give you a more accurate view of the image and then you can make your decisions.  Also if I am putting in lots of different colours into a project I put each colour on a different layer and do not join or all the colours are lost and you end up with a single colour.  When satisfied I export as a png and then re-import and add a cut line so that it is a pnc.  I've probably confused the issue further - sorry but I just thought I'd put in my two penneth.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.

With a texture and letters intertwining - only using MTC

So it looks like everyone can make this work but me! lol  Are y'all copying and pasting into photoshop or saving as a certain file?  When I try to fill the heart with color, my whole screen turns that color :(
    edited April 6
    Some of those example where done solely in MTC

Is there a reason are you pasting into photoshop ?

I did it in photoshop but really the end product what not different to what i could have done in MTC as others did

Actually the result done solely in MTC is better than what i manage solely using PS as I could not eliminate the lines remained red in colour

If you let us know what you try to achieve we may be able to show you how to achieve that in MTC and negate the need to use Photo shop

One way would be to select your shape/s in MTC
    click File > Export > Sel to Raster
    Enable the background and choose white
    Increase the DPI to 300
    Save the file
    open file in PS
    As this is a Raster PS will work with it
    Post edited by Crazy_Mr_Zing on
    edited April 6
    I only use MTC. The only thing I cannot do directly is a true gradient as far as color.

I notice some little artifacts in your file

They are that tiny they might not cause a issue

I wanted to do it in PS so that I could add the materials that I have to true to life mock ups, I was practicing with shirts I was making for my kiddos.  Where do those "artifacts" come from?
    I only use MTC. The only thing I cannot do directly is a true gradient as far as color.

How did you get the red plaid on there in Mtc?  If I can do that in mtc that just may solve that problem.

I think this video may help

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,293
    @love2bmommy - it's as easy as right mouse click on shape, choose Change Color/Texture/Line, then Select Texture... and browse to find the raster or bitmap file you want to use as a fill. Be cautioned...if the raster/bitmap file is a large file (not size but quality), and you create duplicate copies of the raster filled shape, the MTC file will become quite large. MTC was never designed to optimally manage raster files.
    WHAT?????  I had no idea I could do all of that right in MTC!!  Y'all are the best!!!  I am clearly no very tech savvy.  This is AMAZING!! I'm so excited! LOL
    I am trying to do another thing as well, I tried to google it, but I don't even know what it is called that I am trying to do.  I have been going a long route of just copy, pasting and deleting pieces but maybe y'all know the trick?  I want separate layers so that when I make my daughters onsie I don't have to layer vinyl, I just want it to be one layer in pieces.  Does that make sense? Where there would be a cut out I think where the feet, beak and wings are so those pieces go straight on fabric instead on top of another piece like it is here?
    edited April 8
    Many time there are multiple way of doing thing in MTC but this is how i would go about it

So you you want to to us subtract the wings , feet, beak from the owl body

you can use the boolean join function to do that
    the boolean join function will only work with 2 objects  an object can be a single shape or multiple shape the are joined (grouped as one)

So, as when you use the boolean join difference the shape you subtract are lost we need to create a copy of those as you still need wings , feet, beak part for your project

The are a few small issue with you design these could easily fixed by moving the left wing up a little and making the feet a little larger
    I didn't do this as then you can see what issue the cause at the end

part of the left wing shape's edge is inside the outline of the owl body
    and als the out edges out edges of the feet

I think this maybe the easier way to explain this way thought i may not be the quickest

1- Expand the layer by clicking on the +
    2- click the thumbnail for the owls body
    3- move to a new layer

Now create a copy of the wings , feet, beak

4- right click on the default layer select copy layer
    5 right click on the default layer select paste layer

6- click the eye on the original default layer to hide it
    7 - select the top thumb nail in the default* layer (copy of the wings , feet, beak)

8- Do a Join (so it become a single object)

So now we have the owls body as one single object and our copies of the wings , beak, feet (joined) as another single object

9- click the thumbnail for the wings , beak, feet
    HOLD DOWN SHIFT
    10- click the thumbnail to select the owls body

SO both are now selected

11- click on boolean join
    12- click the drop down and select difference
    >>> there are 2 options for difference rather than explain them here just select the option the give the outcome you want in the preview

done a body shape less the wings , feet, beak

the little daggy bits are because the that issue I mention at the start

if you resize and align those part

Hope I haven;t totally confuse you

I'm wondering if you have the user manual as many of these function are explaining in there and also there are links to videos demonstrating them as well

You are the best!!!  Thank you!!!  This is exactly what I was looking for, I did try to look for it, but with out knowing what it was called, I couldn't find the instructions. I guess "Boolean join" is what I needed in my search.  The other stuff with the texturizing I just didn't even realize was possible so always did it in PS until it stopped working. You are very kind to take the time to walk me through this!! Thank you very much! :)