We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

MTC Update!

CrafterfanCrafterfan Member Posts: 74
Hi there,
as far as I can tell, there was not an update on the MTC software in a year or so. Will you still update the software in the future? Or did I miss something?
Sorry to ask, but I noticed that sometimes when I import newer svg files, that some files/shapes don't show up as closed passes even though they do in other softwares that are updated on a regular bases.
Just a question.
Thank you for your time and help.
Gabi

Comments

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,647
    I can't offer an answer about updates, Only @SBryanW ; or @Andy ; could provide that information

I've not heard about anyone having issues as you explain with with svg file what other software were these svgs created in and are you able to attach a example of the svg your having issues with

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 8,976
    edited March 24
    You haven't "missed" anything (other than other discussions about this already ;) .) MTC has not been "updated" in about 4 years not one.  The last real "update" to the program was to 4.6.1 in March, 2013.

There was a "minor bug fix" that affected a "few people" in regards to texture snapshot usage on a PC.  That was done about 2 years ago in March 2015. (See this thread: http://forum.make-the-cut.com/discussion/41374/new-update-march-9-th-2015. That took MTC PC's version to 4.6.2 and the Mac version stayed at 4.6.1.

As Crazy_Mr_Zing noted, only Andy the owner, developer, programmer of MTC can say if it will ever be added to, updated, bugs fixed, new plugins for newer cutters added, etc.  Bryan was just a volunteer, like others, who helped him out with the Webinars, forum admin, and tech support to my understanding.  So, while he might have some insight into Andy's thoughts, he's not the one who can actually say what if anything is the plan or no plan.  Andy is clearly not talking since this has been batted around for a long time now and he has chosen not to say anything.  He has not been on the forum (at least not logged in) since Jan. 8, 2017 so more than two months now.  (You can check that by clicking on a user's name.) Bryan was last on about two week ago (March 12, 2013.)  I think he is the one who still primarily works the support ticket help system.

At this point, I believe that most people believe that MTC is "as is" and if you want newer cutters, newer features, etc. you will need to look to other programs to work with those cutters and give you the newer tools and features.  It is still sold, because it is an excellent program with lots of tools IF you have a cutter that works with it OR if you want to use it to create and then EXPORT out to another format and use with other programs.  However, it would appear that updates and changes do not appear to be planned based on the lack of doing so for so long and no word saying otherwise.  Least that is my two cents. While it is disappointing, as so many of us love MTC - it is not necessarily surprising.  It is not the first software program that was left "as is" and never updated again. 

As Crazy noted, please share some files that aren't working for you and what other software programs that you are referencing.  Some programs simply choose to "close" a non-closed shape when it is imported while I think it was intentional on Andy's part to NOT close them and to let the user decide if they want them closed or not.  I believe the thought being that if the user/designer left it "open" there may be a reason.  MTC was the first program to allow you to have "open paths" to cut rather than having it all have to be "closed".  There are needs for that.
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)