We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Shares

CharoCharo Member Posts: 534
This attempt was the result of posts by @Crazy_Mr_Zing and @leslie6111 where I learned more about texturing and photos.  My husband saw this in one of those Bradford Exchange ads and said I could make it in paper.  I said I couldn't.  Pieces need to be enlarged next time around as some of the folds were very weak; I used flat toothpicks on the back to reinforce them.  All the pieces were PNC; sometimes I am good at gluing, sometimes not...this time was a NOT.
Member 30818

Comments

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,486
    edited March 23
    Ok I've just spent 15 or more minute try to get the texture to show

Then it finally it clicked, they were off the mat

Looks great . I don't get on well with glue so try to do a full PNC popup but the something can be a huge challange too
    Post edited by Crazy_Mr_Zing on
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • CharoCharo Member Posts: 534
    @Crazy_Mr_Zing  I do apologize for the shapes being off the mat.  I've had that trouble myself when looking at other files.  I didn't really get the value of locking layers until maybe three/fourths through the MTC learning curve and it's still a habit to NOT lock them.  Then I get very irritated when two layers pop up on top of each other.  Bad habits learned early are not so easy to break.
    Member 30818
    @Charo No need to apologise I had a good laugh at myself
    Had me thinking now just what going on here ? I could see those picture in the layer toolbar but what ever I did they wouldn't appear on the mat
    Of course the first conclusion I jumped to its the computer fault so even downloaded the file again LOL
    Sometimes I work off the mat too it seem easier to see some thing with out the grid

Anyway when you say the folds are weak to you mean they are tearing ? or are the shapes sagging down .
    I only just watched a webinar that has Susan explaining how to design popup so the structure is rigid enough to hold itself up. But for all the looking I can't seem to locate again
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    @Crazy_Mr_Zing I really do like designing off the grid better, unless I'm drawing an accordian fold or something.  It just seems easier, and if I need to line something up exactly it is easy to just move the whole thing over.  

Weak folds:  that eagle on the right side is anchored between it's flying wings and is maybe just over an eighth inch wide.  It wants to buckle.  And the top of that anchor ended up with a dashed line right at the edge so that the eighth inch ended up even more narrow; should have moved it prior to cutting.  Even though the webinar indexes are wonderful I never seem to be able to find what I am looking for either.  I'll check around too; think I need to see a video on designing rigid popups!
    Member 30818
  • juliefesjuliefes Member Posts: 4,784
    Beautiful card! Thanks for sharing.
  • Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 2,930
    I like what you are trying to do and had a thought that might improve matters - if you printed out the whole picture on the back and then added the folds onto it - it might work a tad better - not sure how you would do it - maybe it would need two pages one for the back and one for the pop up.  That way you would not have blank spaces which detract from the finished result!
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
    You did very well turning what is pretty much a flat image into one with depth

I've been think about that white section above the water fall first I thought of just add the texture form the waterfall that wasn't that sucessful it didn't blend in well
    @Di-lite Had the same idea!  Then I thought what would it really do as it would only show in the areas that got cut out, which are currently showing the green backing.
    @Crazy_Mr_Zing Agree the anchors need to be same texture as whatever they are attached to.  I think I could just make the waterfall a bit larger, then apply the shape of the anchor and the waterfall together and texture button to make it all colored.   Will have to try that.  I really want this file to be larger and I would like the layers to be a bit farther apart than just a quarter inch  but had some trouble finding areas for the anchors.  Needs some WORK.I was just so astonished that I knew enough about MTC and photos to get this to where it is!
    Member 30818
    @Di-lite thinking about your suggestion.  Thinking you meant to put background rock on zero plane.  I did want different planes but right now it sounds pretty good as I cannot make the bouleen join with texture work for some reason (evidently forgot how again).
    Member 30818
    edited March 26
    by boolean join to you want to do a difference or a union

which parts do you want do you want to do this with

Something odd is happening your traced shapes do not quite match the shapes in size and details that I assume have come back from PCS I wondering did you resize them when you were working in PCS or whether PCS does some auto smoothing
    @Crazy_Mr_Zing tonight my file is a mess!  OK.  My shapes are misaligned because I always forget when I am working in PCS to copy the shape back to MTC.  Even if I remember when working with a photo it can only be resized using the corner arrow otherwise I lose the picture.  That's why it is easier to make separate pieces and glue them on (more room for error) than doing a PNC on the shape file.

So I guess I forgot about rotating pieces before trying to boolean join.  I am wanting to exclude, trying to make the anchors use texture from photos.  Was successful after reading your post above with everything but the background rock; the shape gets filled only partially.  MTC and PCS has worn me out tonight and my file is so terrible I don't want anyone to see it yet.

P. S.  The good news is I fixed the weak anchors.  I think I was right and my husband was wrong; I can't do this file.  Good grief.  Another one I thought would take me a short while and which is now approaching three days.  
    Member 30818
    edited March 26
    I do all those things and more then I get cranky and delete the lot
    then dig the auto saved file out and try again or start from scratch again

I think you card is great then the more I tinker with it the more I find just how challenging it is so you've really do well to get it so far

I went and found this image your using and have been tinkering
    oh boy how did you create all the shapes I can only manage by doing a manual trace?

what I had above was a flawed method so I removed it

• Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 2,930
    Well I still have to cross the bridge into pcs but I think you are doing great and like you, I remember all the right things in one section of development and then forget them in the next part!  Very frustrating.  I also forget to do duplicate page in MTC before joining up parts and then have to either do lots of undos or start from scratch.  Hey ho!  LOL
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
    @Crazy_Mr_Zing I pixel traced each part separately, so first I selected the waterfall maybe.  Then I used eraser tool to eliminate what I didn't want.  After I got each part in then I had to cleanup around edges to do.  Worst part was the eagles' wings of course.  Used straight line eraser tool, then went back and rounded some corners.  A big pain.  Yet it is so rewarding to realize it can be DONE!  I still think MTC is a wonderful creation no matter if it is never going to be updated again.  

On original photo there wasn't much of a rock background so I traced what was there, then copied it and textured it until it was large enough to anchor things to in PCS.  First time around I had no problem at all in boolean excluding so that the PCS rock shape took on the MTC rock texture.  Now this time around I cannot make it work--no matter how much I rotate.  Very strange.  About to give it one more try.

Have to say boolean join can really hurt my brain.  I sure do agree with you @Di-lite; it can be incredibly frustrating!  And oh boy @Crazy_Mr_Zing I get cranky too and even more cranky when I can't find what I deleted.  I think I should lose the delete button somehow.
    Member 30818
    OK I give up.  Cleaned up my file so I am not totally embarrassed.  The first four layers are my remaining problems.  I cannot get the boolean texture to work.  Well it works but the shape is not entirely filled with the texture.  I am STUMPED!  Rotate rotate; move the shape around everywhere---no luck.
    Member 30818
    edited March 26
    I wondering it boolean join is really needed for what you needing to do

for example if you want this shape to the have the rock texture

you could use right click ...change ..select texture
    I sometime find it difficult to get the texture positioned the way I want or even showing at all

So I use this other way that I think of as like using a cookie cutter but upside down

Switch the mat to one of the translucent colours  eg Green

Ensure the shape you want to take the texture from (rock face) is above the shape you want to receive the texture (cookie cutter)
    Position and resize if needed the rock face shape over the cookie cutter

Select both shape click join

then click break

select the rock face and drag away

be sure to join those 2 remaining shapes so the remain in alignment

Now if you wanted use the tree to cut away a part of this rock face shape you could use boolean join
    but maybe that not necessary

As the 3 trees are on the same plane as the if you place the trees over the rockface and line them up that is what will print out

Now the 3 tree shape seem to have been slightly resized a little so i resized it back so it lined up properly with the lines on the rock face

If you what to permanently merge these 2 textured shape select both and do a texture snapshot

One thing about MTC doesn't seem to mater what you do someone else has another way to achieve the same results

I thought I tried that but reaading your post realized I forgot about the BREAK!!!  Such wasted time due to lack of memory.
    Thanks so much @Crazy_Mr_Zing.  Done with this file and hoping my husband doesn't have any more ideas like this one.  LOL.
    Member 30818
    edited March 27
    Well it wasn't a total loss I'm sure you learned a little more
    I certainly learned so stuff I didn't know.
    I still think your original card was great
    Taking a flat image and making it have depth was rather ingenious

I quite like the white bits they look like snow of the trees

I just put that back-to-front cookie cutter method down to pure MTC magic and left it at that
    Its only recently was I was watching a webinar Bryan said "when you join shapes all the shapes take the attributes of the shape that is on top "

so now it makes sense to me
    Same happens if the top shape has dash lines all shapes become dashed
    or if the top shape is red  all the shapes become red

The tricky part is being able to think of ways using this function to your advantage which for me often come after hour of tickering and failing miserable

I traced in the image
    created a copy
    put it on a layer on top and locked the original
    broke the node where the arrows are

also used node edit to delete a small segment so I knew I was attaching to the path around the outside of the eagle

Then manual traced the front of the eagle from on node to the other

so then I had the eagle shape

Then created a copy of the original image from bottom layer put that on top
    and did the join then break so my eagle took the texture

Basically repeated for the other shapes I required example

I'm quite illogical in my work methods My design tends to runaway and then I find I have to backtrack or abandon ship and revert to a auto save

So now am making an effort to mend my bad habits one at a time
    Rather than deleting things I don't think I need anymore Now I move to another layer and hide
    MY current effort is creating copies to work with so I have the orginial when it falls apart
    That's pretty good @Crazy_Mr_Zing.  Your way avoided drawing around the tips of the wings.  I never remember about breaking nodes, probably because I need to find and watch one of the webinars about that.  

That is my big problem too...deleting stuff.  Going to try to learn the same new habit you are going after.  Kind of nice to know I'm not the only one with this particular bad habit.

Sure do enjoy you Mr. Ziing.
    Member 30818
  • BAKED453BAKED453 Member Posts: 22
    Such a lovely card!