We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Similar to gate fold card

CroppyCatCroppyCat Member Posts: 94
Hi everyone! You guys were such a wealth of information I thought I'd give it another go! Similar to a gate fold card, I want to cut a design out of the front of a card but leave a piece still attached to the top. Does that make sense? I want the top portion that is hanging off to stay attached to the card and have the stuff within the teal cut out. Is this doable? Thanks!

Comments

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,547
    edited March 20
    It helps us help you is you can attach the MTC file

Create a shadow of the pattern

weld the shadow to the card base

join the original pattern to the card base

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • CroppyCatCroppyCat Member Posts: 94
    edited March 20
    sorry. I can weld the two layers to get the 'base' but then I want to cut the lower portion out. I am thinking it may be one of the boolean joins but I don't really understand them.
    edited March 20
    WOW I have been at this FOREVER!! thanks so much going to try... such a nob  :/  so just highlight both pieces and join?
    How big a shadow layer you thick?
    edited March 20
    I choose 2mm but I guess it depend of the full size of you card
    I actually never cut a gate card maybe 2mm might be a little flimsy

Your not silly it takes some practice to see just how to do something something it just does click then once you shown you see
    I often miss the obvious too the someone shows and then I see

I worked this a little more is this to sort look your after

If you wanting the plane back like about create a copy (Ctrl Shift Click)
    after the weld the move it to a new layer and hide for safe keeping

Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    Oh  my that is gorgeous! DO you still have the file? *lol* What I am wanting is for this cut portion to fold over on top of the back to make a pocket to put the invitation in does that make sense?
    Can't think how it would work folding at the top from the bottom would work

fold line are dash 0.02 x0.12" you made need to adjust to suit

edited March 20
    OMG thank you sooo much! it's gorgeous!  I have a great deal to learn. Did you do it using the same instructions you posted?  No idea how you did the bottom part... I will need to tweak it I missed a boo boo when I sent it... bottom left one of the elements is overlapping.
    edited April 17
    I noticed the shadow over lapped at the bottom so I fixed that up so the bottom was straight

After you create the shadow of the element and weld it to the square so you have this

create a copy by hold down ctrl and shift and click on that welded shape
    move the copy to a new layer and hide the layer for later

continue on creating the cutout for the front ensure it all joined for now

when done make the previous hidden layer visible layer visible and click on the shape hold ctrl and press the down arrow key until the shape is clear of the cutout
    then flip it so it upside down

select both the front and back and right click > align and space > align > edge bottom

The i used the node edit remove the extra line at the join
    and to break node at the end of the fold lines then
    did a break and changed the line style to dashed fold lines .
    the used pencil to draw the glue tabs
    Post edited by Crazy_Mr_Zing on
    How can I thank you! You made my day!