We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Mac/Cameo technical question

littlebitkaylittlebitkay Member Posts: 142
My sister has a dual system (Mac/PC).I uninstalled the silhouette Studio from the PC side and installed it to the Mac side.  (I saved the com.aspersoftware.Silhouette_Studio.8 library file and the license file and replaced them in the Mac version).  
Everything works great except for one thing.    When she clicks on a .studio3 file in Finder, it jumps to the PC side where there is no longer a program. She CAN open the files from within the Studio program.  Can anyone tell me what is wrong?  You can call me if this is not something to discuss on this forum.  
Kay Hance 501-206-6461  

Comments

• Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,003
    The orioginal shortcut to the name tag is being actions when you click on the file and so is dragging you through to the old set up.  You need to right click on the tag and change it's properties to the one you want to open it with.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,234
    The studio file is still "associated" with the program on the Win side. On the Mac side find any studio file and then tell which program should open it by default. If you don't know how to do this, Google is your best friend:

Here's how you do it:
    1. Click one of the files in the Finder.
    2. Choose File→Get Info (Command+I).
    3. In the Info window, click the gray triangle to disclose the Open With pane.
    4. From the pop-up menu, choose an application that Mac OS X believes will open this document type.
  • littlebitkaylittlebitkay Member Posts: 142
    This is the smartest, best, most helpful group in the world!    Thank You @Liz for your directions!      So, so appreciated.   Maybe someday there will be something I can help someone with.   Thanks again.  
    @littlebitkay - you are welcome, Happy Cutting!
    Well, I thought we had it.   :/  When I get to Open with, it IS associated with Windows 8.1x64.app  So when I click Other, I only see the library file and license file I moved over, not the program file.   
    @littlebitkay - you may have to use the finder to "find" the executable - program file.
    I did find the executable file in Other when I was in Open With but when I told it to make all files open with that app, it would jump back to the Win 8.1.  I don't know what to do now.  Maybe call Silhouette on Monday.   It is so hard when I don't use a Mac and I need to help my sister.   
    edited March 19
    Sounds like a battle between the Win and Mac...hopefully SA can help. You may need to totally uninstall on the Win side for it to work...how was it removed initially?
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,527
    edited March 19
    I did find the executable file in Other when I was in Open With but when I told it to make all files open with that app, it would jump back to the Win 8.1.  I don't know what to do now.  Maybe call Silhouette on Monday.   It is so hard when I don't use a Mac and I need to help my sister.   

I don't know much about MAC so maybe i just misunderstand all this

I thought you would have to select the .studio3 file and change the default app for that

http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/how-to-change-default-applications-mac

I also saw  smartselect popup in google would that be a possible cause 

https://download.parallels.com/desktop/v5/docs/en/Parallels_Desktop_Users_Guide/22962.htm

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • gll5613gll5613 Member Posts: 23
    Let me preface this by saying that I know almost nothing about a Mac, but the term "executable file" caught my attention. Did you select "Silhouette Studio.exe" (PC version) as the "open with" app or "Silhouette Studio.app" (which I believe is the name of the Mac version)?
    I am trying to associate the Studio3 extension with Silouette studio.app  i see how to do it and have followed the directions but it doesnt do it    I am 'holding' for Silouette today   thanks to all who have helped
    I finally got thru to Support and they told me it was a Mac problem, not a Silhouette problem.  I am not a Mac person, so this is the end for me.  I will just open the files from within the Silhouette program and let it go at that.   Thought you all would like to know what I found out.   Nothing.  
    Thanks for the update! @littlebitkay
  • MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 8,944
    I finally got thru to Support and they told me it was a Mac problem, not a Silhouette problem.  I am not a Mac person, so this is the end for me.  I will just open the files from within the Silhouette program and let it go at that.   Thought you all would like to know what I found out.   Nothing.  
    The old point the finger back at someone else that so many tech companies like to do!  Probably if you contact Apple, they would tell you that it was a Silhouette problem!  ;) :( :p Easy enough to simple open the file from within the program.
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)