We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Shape and Cut File not Cutting Evenly

CharoCharo Member Posts: 604
edited March 13 in Help for Make The Cut
Shape file is PNC so I use reg marks to line it up before turning on cut file.  If you have a PNC using the reg marks is the only way to get the cut on the exact same lines right?  Even though the cut and shape files are both exactly at .5 X and Y.  This is not a calibration problem as I printed tiny little things with no white showing at all.  The laser lights disappear as I am lining up each reg mark so I cannot understand what is happening.

I just thought of something.  In the shape file on the tree the leaves were all green texture.  Then I cut the trunk off in MTC, textured it tree trunk look, and added that to the shape file.  I did that with all the plant things and the chimney too.  So I have two textures on several shapes.  Could this be causing my cutting problem somehow?

Member 30818

Comments

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,923
    edited March 14
    which page are you working on the default or the printed shapes ?

I think you can disregard this as I think I found the issue see further down the page
    Guessing by the distance of miss alignment it might be related to the mountain layer

I think there may be a issue with the method your using for PNC

Though out the whole process the same reg marks need to be visible if you hide layers in between print and cutting and the reg mark move then misalignment will happen

If you have print shape outlines disabled and the virtual bound box around the printed shapes are within the virtual bound box of the shapes that are cut there is no need to hide layers

the print out would be like this note the those reg mark are actually from the Cut Line layer so when the PNC layer is hide those same reg mark are still in use

The Cut lines are using the same reg marks

Post edited by Crazy_Mr_Zing on
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    with regard to the laser going off . I thinking I had the issue long ago I put it down to my bluetooth conection being flakey but was never 100% sure
    don't recall it happening since gone usb
    This file makes my pc work hard so just a stab in the dark here may that extra load may cause the interruption to the communication to the zing
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • leslie6111leslie6111 Member Posts: 2,349
    edited March 14
    When I print a popup card with texture, I make visible all my layers- those with cut  lines, filled shapes and fold lines - like Paul suggests. Then when I go to do the pnc, I turn off the layers with the filled shapes that way I do not get shifting or the registration marks and the shapes do not get cut out by mistake. The fold lines made invisible prior to printing will definitely shift your registration marks.
    edited March 14
    Well I tried all sorts of of ways of hiding layers and I can't seem to replicate the
    shifting of the distance
    I zoom in some texture shapes appear to be misaligned with the cutline so that explain some of the issue

I also noticed something that makes me the mat might have also slipped

The red line cutting appears to be reasonably aligned with the print the blue line cut appears to be misaligned with the print and the pink line appear to be  misaligned with the print and also with the blue
    I can't think how a reg mark shift would cause double misalignment
    So I thinking the mat slipped or something is corrupting the data

• CharoCharo Member Posts: 604
    I am totally confused.  But I do think adding the double textures caused a problem.  Also I folded this mis-printed thing and there is something not right with the way the fence is attached to the raised platform on which the house is sitting.
    I am sorry I ever saw this idea!  Thought it was so cute when I saw it on the web and thought oh I can do that.  Oh yeah.....I think this is day FIVE and still not done.
    @Crazy_Mr_Zing I don't even know which shape file I was using....stuck one on a separate page so I could send each layer to it's own so they would shape shift on me.  
    Member 30818
    @leslie6111 I am confused by last sentence in your post:  " The fold lines made invisible prior to printing will definitely shift your registration marks".
    When I bring a PCS file into MTC the first thing I do is make each layer to it's own, then close cut file and change the fold line files to a larger dashed line.  Then I close all of them and work on the shape file, if I am texturing or coloring.  But of course when cutting the fold lines and cut layer are turned back on.  So I always make fold lines invisible prior to cutting at one point.  I am thinking I am misinterpreting your comment??
    On this pesky file I removed the fence and will just glue it on and cut the file (not the textured shape file).  Cuts perfectly.  But if I print the shape file, then cut using the reg marks, it is still off although not as much.  Giving up on this file.  Also cannot understand why it is so resource intensive.  Much more complicated files in PCS gallery don't do that.  Very strange to me.
    Member 30818
    edited March 16
    @Charo are you dash cutting the fold lines at the same time your doing the cutting ?
    I'm thinking somewhere you maybe have nudge some shapes across I have the same issue attempt to click but click and slight move the mouse so the shape moves

I find the green fill on the shape of the full card cut out distracting so i break a node so its not longer filled

ALso I think moving the layer with the textures shape up so it on top of the cutlayer makes it easier
    @Crazy_Mr_Zing  Yes I am cutting dashed lines at the same time as the cut file.  
    When I break a node in shape file then the texture goes away as texture won't apply to an open shape.  
    When I select both the textured shape file and the cut file and do a print preview I cannot find any differences.  However I did notice the shape file is at .5030 or something like that and the cut file at .5 (I think this is at x point....anyway top left corner.  If I correct it to .5 as it was at one time I can definitely see the two files don't line up.  
    I think I should give this file up.  Too much trouble.
    Member 30818
  • leslie6111leslie6111 Member Posts: 2,349
    The center fold line usually extends the width of the card so if you do not include your fold lines when you print everything ( and turn off print shape outlines) you registration marks might shift when you go to cut and emboss.
    I was only refer to the green filled shape of the full card outline on the cut line layer It not require to be fill for are reason and I find the green make it difficult to see other details on other layers
    It just something I do

Anyway I did a little renovating  and realigned the textured shapes and tidied up a little the frame and bird feed are on a new page
    Its not perfect

Make sure you have print shape outline disabled in options
    also enable show reg mark on mat

as you are cutting dashed lines at the same time as the cut file

for this you should be able to leave all the layers visible for printing
    then only hide the printing layer

cut lines don't print unless print shape outline is enabled

a way to check if hiding a layer is going to cause and shifting issue is
    zoom in on that bottom right reg mark
    and watch as you hide the layer if the reg mark moves then there will be a shift and then misalignment

Print Preview

Got it now @leslie6111 and @Crazy_Mr_Zing.  Worn out with this for today; will look to see what you did to the file tomorrow.  That's a good hint to know about zooming in on reg mark and seeing what happens when opening or closing a layer.
    Print shape outlines is NOT selected.
    Member 30818
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,563
    edited March 17
    @Charo - I always, always, always make two little lines about 1/4" that go on their own layer at the bottom of the stack, and are always turned on. I put one on the top left corner of the Virtual Mat within the print boundaries of the paper I will be cutting from, and the second on the bottom right corner of the Virtual Mat. All the print and cut shapes must live inside that boundary. You will never have an issue of mismatched reg marks between printing and cutting because you hid a layer for cutting, that caused the reg marks to deviate from what was printed. It works, works, works every single time =).
    I find sometimes when I click on a shape i accidentally move it was well very frustrating when you don't notice it till much later
    really interrupts the create flow have to back track and find where it when wrong

I do as Liz says as well
    You may have to experiment just how close to the edge of the paper you can have the little lines and have you print still able print the reg marks  

I save the file with a suitable eg A4 PNC Template or whatever
    Then go and find where you have saved the file
    Right click on it select properties then enable read only
    Then when you make a new card using this file MTC will warn you when you attempt to save, that file is read only and require it to be saved under a different name
    @Liz_A and @Crazy_Mr_Zing thanks so much.  I still don't understand why this happens but now I don't need to; I do understand how to make it not happen.  Going to make this file right now.   Then I will bring this file back, re-do all the textures and maybe this file I thought I could make so quickly which turned out to take more than a week will be done.
    Crazy Mr. Z that clicking on a shape and having it move slightly drives me crazy.  It happens to me so often, even when there is no snapping and I almost never catch it when it happens.  It sure can make a mess of a textured or colored shapes file.
    Member 30818
    edited March 17
    One caveat to the small stroke method the rest of you card shape need to be inside of those reg marks

SO this is ok as the house edges are inside of the outer edge of the little lines

This is not ok as the edge of the house is further out than the outer edge of the little line
    This causes the reg mark to be positioned aligned the the outter most edge of the house so in the event of the layer with the house is hidden the reg mark will move back to the edge of that little line

It took me quite a while to get my mine around reg mark and how they work yet I occasion still forget and get it mixed up

Now you said snapping that might be the answer I work mostly with no snapping
    I will have to experiment > if you have snapping set to say 1/2" would that mean you would have to bump at least more than a 1/4" before the shape you it would move to the next snap point  - 1/2" would surely be noticeable

Post edited by Crazy_Mr_Zing on
    @Crazy_Mr_Zing I hope I won't forget this lesson on reg marks....adding printed copy in my how-to file just in case.  I can see how the second shape wouldn't work.  I only have snapping on when I want to draw lines but I forget that some times too and @SandyMcC mentioned no snapping might be my problem with selected shapes moving around.  I want you to know I am thrilled with all these answers:  I was able to correctly print the textured file and cut it without having to re-do the entire thing.  Wonderful!
    Member 30818
    Well You taught me something today I wouldn't have put the no snapping and the objects being so easily bumped together if you hadn't mentioned snapping .
This discussion has been closed.