We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Can i email file to myself to open and edit on different computer?

Hello!  I designed a file on my mac laptop and emailed to myself and just now tried to open on desktop but keep getting error msg when i try to open.  Not sure exactly what message says because it's behind the MTC logo when it opens. Any help would be appreciated.  thanks

Comments

• SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,007
    You should be able to do that.   Did you save it as a .mtc file or did you export it in another format?
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Air
    Need help with your KNK? Visit this link: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    KNK / MTC Videos: http://bit.ly/1kmAcoO
    Latest KNK / MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
  • MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 8,976
    I do that regularly, work with MTC on one computer (often a Mac) and then email it or dropbox it, etc. to get it on another computer.  Works just fine.  How are you trying to open it?  Is it the same version of MTC on both computers?
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
  • jillwrightjillwright Member Posts: 19
    It's not the same version.  The one on my mac is newer.  So they definitely have to be same version?  No way around it?
    It's not the same version.  The one on my mac is newer.  So they definitely have to be same version?  No way around it?
    Depends upon what versions you have on each computer.  If you are creating the file on the newer Mac version, whether the older version on your PC will open it depends upon how old the version is on the PC.  Generally, newer versions of MTC will open older files but older versions cannot always open a file created in a newer version.  So, if for example you are running an older version on your PC to cut to a Cricut, the version you have on your PC is probably too old and won't open the file created in the newest version of MTC.  If you tell me exactly what version number you have I can verify if that is correct in your case.  (I would need to research it as I forget where the cutoffs were. )

One way around it would be to EXPORT the file out of the newest version of MTC on the Mac as an SVG file and then IMPORT the SVG file into the older version of MTC on your PC.
    Go Vols!
  • jillwrightjillwright Member Posts: 19
    You hit the nail in the head :smile:  That's the version on my desktop and keeping it that way till my Cricut kicks the bucket because I can't stand Design Space and love MTC.  I plan on buying Silhouette so wanna keep using my MTC with it.  I'll try exporting as svg and see if that works.  Thanks!
    Figured that might be it.  ;)  A little searching here on the forum and I found the information in an old thread - any version of MTC older than 4.1.0 will not open a MTC file from the 4.6.1 or 4.6.2 version of MTC. As a result, exporting and importing as SVG is your best option.  (IF you had both versions of MTC on the same computer, you could have both opened and copy and paste between the two according to what Julie posted in that thread.)

This is the old thread I am referencing: http://forum.make-the-cut.com/discussion/40667/cricut-update-question
    Go Vols!
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,648
    I think SVG probably is the simpler option
    Another that I think would work is install the latest  version along side the old version in windows then you should be able copy and paste between the two

Before you attempt this much sure you have a backup up of that old version

This video show how to install multiple versions of Make the Cut

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • leslie6111leslie6111 Member Posts: 2,318
    edited March 12
    I have been emailing back and forth for a while between pc and mac esp when I use pcs or for my zing. But  like Melanie, both of my MTC are about the same version and had no issue except for some textures. Another idea is to move your file to icloud or dropbox and then access them from the pc. I use drop box now to transfer svg's to my ipad mini for use with my force cutter. Easier and quicker than email.