We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

best machine for glitter cardstock used daily

kmckmc Posts: 3
Hi,
I currently run 4 silhouette cameos daily. I have to replace them pretty often (last one lasted 3 months). It is past time to upgrade.

I am looking at the zing orbit or possibly the silver bullet (open to any suggestions though).

I use 12x12 glitter coated cardstock. It does shed (a lot). I run a business and get my cardstock in bulk from a supplier and I am not interested in using any other type of cardstock. I know there are ones out there that don't shed, but my business revolves around the cardstock I currently carry.

I need a machine that can handle the cardstock and not rip. The cameos due a great job for a while, but it is getting too costly to replace them.

Would love something that is faster than the cameos as well. 

Also, I have thousands of designs in the silhouette software (some purchased, majority designed by me though). I need to be able to use these designs with the new machine, and I have no idea how to do that.

Would appreciate any advice or suggestions. Thank you!

Comments

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Posts: 2,527
    edited March 10
    Take a look as this it might do what you need I do do silhouette so I don't really know  http://ideas-r-us-software.uk/SilhouetteStudioLibraryFileExtractor.aspx

They also have a Studio to Svg Convertor here http://ideas-r-us-software.uk/FileConverters/SilhouetteStudioConverter.aspx
    I used this it seems to do ok with most files but it has issue with any that has raster content - as your cutting glitter I'm guessing you files probably don't have that
    You can convert 10 files for free daily
    you can purchase credits the remove that limit
    I would advise check it does what you want before buying
    I've just visited daily if I had more the 10 to do

Do you run all you cameos simultaneously from the one computer I read that was possible ?  I don't think you can do that with any other machine

It always been said the Zing is rated for hobby use so I guess the zing orbit would be the same that said the zing is quite a robust machine a I sure there would some using it successfully for commercial use

The KNK maxx air is another machine you could consider its rated for commercial use

As I have only ever used a Zing I think there are others that are more experienced that could advice you better on machine selection

When I read about  people cutting what sounds like 100's of the same design One thing the always comes to mine is I wonder if they would be better off considering a manual cutter and steel rule dies . Which I know very little about also ?

Post edited by Crazy_Mr_Zing on
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • leslie6111leslie6111 Posts: 2,286
    edited March 10
    Reading over my post, CrazyMr Zing basically said the same thing I did and his post went in 3 seconds sooner - so we have given you the same advise for whats it worth. Any way this is a forum to discuss Make the Cut! software so welcome. 
    If you are considering zing orbit, or silver bullet (knk max is similar machine)  or even knk force, which would probably cut the glimmer cardstock even better, then you should start converting your sil files to svg. There is an online converter that can convert a couple per day for free http://www.ideas-r-us-software.uk/FileConverters/SilhouetteStudioConverter.aspx. If you want to make sure that the machine you order can cut your material - if it is a knk machine I would ask them to do a test cut - either Sandy or Darrel might be willing, if it is silver bullet, you should contact them - maybe Sherry will be willing. The orbit is not out yet and it is still considered a hobby cutter. The best thing going for it is that it can write on a cylinder like an eggbot. The max and silver bullet is considered more of a professional cutter.

• kmckmc Posts: 3
    Take a look as this it might do what you need I do do silhouette so I don't really know  http://ideas-r-us-software.uk/SilhouetteStudioLibraryFileExtractor.aspx

They also have a Studio to Svg Convertor here http://ideas-r-us-software.uk/FileConverters/SilhouetteStudioConverter.aspx
    I used this it seems to do ok with most files but it has issue with any that has raster content - as your cutting glitter I'm guessing you files probably don't have that
    You can convert 10 files for free daily
    you can purchase credits the remove that limit
    I would advise check it does what you want before buying
    I've just visited daily if I had more the 10 to do

I thought I read that the Silhouette Design allow conversion to Svg

Do you run all you cameos simultaneously from the one computer I read that was possible ?  I don't think you can do that with any other machine

It always been said the Zing is rated for hobby use so I guess the zing orbit would be the same that said the zing is quite a robust machine a I sure there would some using it successfully for commercial use

The KNK maxx air is another machine you could consider its rated for commercial use

As I have only ever used a Zing I think there are others that are more experienced that could advice you better on machine selection

When I read about  people cutting what sounds like 100's of the same design One thing the always comes to mine is I wonder if they would be better off considering a manual cutter and steel rule dies . Which I know very little about also ?

Thank you, I will take a look at the links you provided.

I do run all the cameos simultaneously (had to upgrade to the business version of the software I think) which is pretty important as I have a lot to cut each day.

I haven't looked much into a manual cutter. Most of my designs are actually different as I do a lot of custom work, though I do cut a lot of the same designs as well. I will look into that.
  • kmckmc Posts: 3

Reading over my post, CrazyMr Zing basically said the same thing I did and his post went in 3 seconds sooner - so we have given you the same advise for whats it worth. Any way this is a forum to discuss Make the Cut! software so welcome. 
    If you are considering zing orbit, or silver bullet (knk max is similar machine)  or even knk force, which would probably cut the glimmer cardstock even better, then you should start converting your sil files to svg. There is an online converter that can convert a couple per day for free http://www.ideas-r-us-software.uk/FileConverters/SilhouetteStudioConverter.aspx. If you want to make sure that the machine you order can cut your material - if it is a knk machine I would ask them to do a test cut - either Sandy or Darrel might be willing, if it is silver bullet, you should contact them - maybe Sherry will be willing. The orbit is not out yet and it is still considered a hobby cutter. The best thing going for it is that it can write on a cylinder like an eggbot. The max and silver bullet is considered more of a professional cutter.

I will try contacting the companies and see. Thank you for the information!
    edited March 10

kmc said:
      (had to upgrade to the business version of the software I think)
    As is Said I don't do Silhouette but I was always lead to believe both the designer edition and the business edition allow "as SVG"  ?
    Now I looked it up maybe that not correct either
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • MeFlickMeFlick Posts: 8,945
    edited March 10

. . . As is Said I don't do Silhouette but I was always lead to believe both the designer edition and the business edition allow "as SVG"  ?
    . . . 
    @Crazy_Mr_Zing  - No, none of the Silhouette programs will allow you to EXPORT out a Silhouette file to a SVG file.  (Well, an old version 1.9/2.0 on the PC side (not the Mac side) "would" if you knew how to do it.  It was an "accidental" door they left open and quickly nailed shut.)  The Designer and Business Editions will allow you to IMPORT an SVG file but Import only.

. . .  if it is silver bullet, you should contact them - maybe Sherry will be willing. . .  
    Just like KNK, the Silver Bullet distributors are always willing to discuss with a potential buyer their needs and do test cuts of material as needed.  The Silver Bullet can use MTC software but in order to do so, you have to use the KNK plugin as MTC was never updated with a plugin for the SB.  The SB ships with SCAL software.  Both MTC and SCAL will allow you to import an SVG file so if you can get your Silhouette files converted over, either program and cutter will work.  As you already know however, the glitter yardstick is hard on any machine and the blades used. The SB distributors recommend that you not regularly cut glitter card stock that "sheds". However, as I noted, Sherri would best be able to answer your questions and help with the SB.

Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
    @MeFlick Thank You now I believe no more ;) .
     It Seem draconian even the upgrade version are so restrictive