We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Card Doesn't Fold Evenly

CharoCharo Member Posts: 604
This one cost me a lot of time and some very hard thinking and still the result wasn't very good.  Could not figure out why card popped out the top--finally realized it was the left end piece of garage top that was too far off.  I have had more difficulties with side-mounted cards.  They almost always come out with one half larger than the other.  Is that normal?
The other problem with this one was the glitter paper which I've never used before.  It does not glue flat.  
P. S.  Ole Blue is an antique car which just had a lovely new paint job and got a brand new garage to live in.
Member 30818
Post edited by Charo on

Comments

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,920
    edited March 6
    Great Card and love the addition of the car in the Garage

not sure what you mean by "They almost always come out with one half larger than the other"

um something funny happening this is the file you attached look a bit like the tea house card 

Post edited by Crazy_Mr_Zing on
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • CharoCharo Member Posts: 604
    Uh oh.  That wasn't the right file alright.  I did start with that file and quickly discovered this card won't open if it has a backing as the roof has to slide up and down.

I meant that often my PCS cards don't have the center fold exactly in the middle; one half ends up being larger than the other half which makes it very difficult for me to figure out where to fold the outer layer.  I guess maybe it just depends on how the card is built and I should pay more attention to the print preview.   Guess I was hoping there was a trick to make certain the center fold really ends up in exactly the center.
    Member 30818
    edited March 5
    Do you not dash cut or emboss the fold lines

On some project when I just want a little guide mark to indicate a fold rather than dash cut the fold I edit the file to include 2 very tiny cuts near each end so I have them as a guide
    this also is useful for alignment for gluing parts together
    The cut is so small it usually unnoticeable
    ----
    If you go back and edit your first post the 2 thumbnails for those files should have a X beside them clicking those will delete the files  just be sure to select the correct file sometimes there will be thumbnails for the images you added
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    Thinking about my problem more.  It must be an inherent function of PCS and my problem is being caused by having something on one half at a certain distance and the other half a different distance.  If the objects on both halves were at equal distances from center fold then the card would fold exactly in the center.  Talking it out with you has helped me as you always do.  Then I remembered something @leslie6111 wrote once....she trims her cards after cutting to fit the backing the way she wants.  I didn't understand at that time but it makes sense today.
    Member 30818
    Ok 2 ideas
    I notice when you import this card into MTC its 12" x 7" if you cutting from 12" card if you not setting you blade origin right on the end there won't be enough card left at the other end .. does that make sense ??

The other is a little hazy maybe we need @SandyMcC to confirm that I'm not talking total twaddle . been along time since set my zing up
    what if the calibration resolution in the zing is off so 12" is cutting say 12.2  once again you would run out of card at the top end (if cutting from 12" card)

If both case the blade would run of on to the mat maybe your not noticing this

---

Having the backing card warp probably tend to hinder the card operation a little too
    ---
    In regard to having shapes different distances off each of back planes and and folding where that meet that should not be an issue
    I know Susan has spoken about cards need enough structure required to operate them
    Maybe next time you have a card not working out you could put it up and ask Susan to check it out for defects

• leslie6111leslie6111 Member Posts: 2,348
    edited March 6
    If you are cutting this on 12 x 12 card stock and it is 12 x 7 finished. I would bring the 2 svgs - cutting and shapes into MTC  and first set them both at x=0, y=0 so they stack properly. Then I would move the whole lot of them so when the card is cut, it is centered at the mid point of my virtual mat. I would get rid of the longer top and bottom edge line with the node tool that are sitting at the top and bottom edges of the cardstock since the blade might get caught when it is cutting at the edges. I center all my popup cards, even those I cut directly from pcs and I make my virtual mat the size of my cardstock.
    Post edited by leslie6111 on
    Ok now I'm confused " I would bring the 2 svgs" why are there 2 svgs ?

@Crazy_Mr_Zing for once I get what I am being told!  Leslie means the svg for cutting and dashed lines and the shapes file; thus two svg's.
    Also I get now why Leslie eliminates top and bottom cut lines on a large file.  I just hate it when the paper edge gets caught up in the lid or wherever and jams.  I also finally get why some popups don't fold exactly in half; correctable but it means I have to pay attention before cutting, which is another thing I forget to do.
    I don't know what I would do without Forum folks.
    Member 30818
    Yep I understood the centering eliminating the top and bottom edges
    When I export a card form PCS as svg I only have one svg file to import that why I'm a little confused ?
    Paul - One svg contains the cut and fold layers. The other svg - found under "export shapes" - is made up of  the closed shapes that make up the overall popup  - shapes svg - so that you can color or texture them in more easily.  Andy added that in an update to pcs cause when pcs was first introduced, we had to manually close the shapes and shadow slightly that so that we could texture or color around the popup to add the background such as grass or sky or even roof color if we were doing a house card.  But you still have to stack the svg's  when you first import them into MTC cause they come in where your cursor is set, which could change. That is why I place them at (0,0) to start.

As an example - this is a recent pnc popup card I did and used the shapes svg to add brick texture, roof color, grass and sky. I could have done it manually, but so much easier to use what is available already in pcs.

Ok I missed the exporting shapes for adding the texture part
    Not that I done to many popup with colour I usually do then as a print and cut
    Now I have it .
    Thank You
    @leslie6111 I enjoyed seeing your card recreating your house, or someone's house anyway.  I had a similar idea but so far haven't got it to work.

When using the svg shapes file to add colors or texture I really hate how the shape moves slightly when selecting it.  Doesn't happen all the time but sure messes things up if you don't watch the shapes like hawk.  I am not doing anything different....just selecting the shape first.  Is this a flaw or am I doing something wrong please?
    Member 30818
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,137
    Make sure you have No Snapping selected on the Main Bar on the right side.
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit
    Need help with your KNK? Visit this link: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest KNK / MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
    I think Sandy might be right - I do not have issues but then I never have snapping selected. Also you can copy and paste the shapes  on another open MTC virtual mat to work on to add textures and then move them back with a paste in place so you do not mess up other shapes. So you do not disturb anything else.
    @SandyMcC and @leslie6111  The no snapping helped a lot but some shapes still moved a bit when selecting them.  Copying to another layer when adding textures probably is my best bet to keep from starting over, and over, and over.  It is a lot of fun to add textures and color; have to keep working at it.  I just discovered adding "seamless" to google searches for texture really helps!
    Member 30818
    Your mouse must be super sensitive. Then put the shapes all on their own layers and lock them - only unlock the one you want to work on. I have to that when I work on a complicated project.
This discussion has been closed.