We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

jpg to svg

7dogs7dogs Member Posts: 13
I have a jpg I'm trying to convert to svg.  I thought I had it put when I import to MTC, the doesn't print out right.  I tried pixel, but it doesn't show everything.  This is a logo for the company I work for and would love to make some shirts.  Any help would be appreciated.  

Answers

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,295
    @7dogs - File => Import => Pixel Trace. Ensure that you make adjustments to Threshold to a high value...the maximum is 255. Usually 253 works well for jpg files. Do you know what the resolution is of the image (in dpi), and what is it's dimensions? 
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,552
    edited March 4
    Here are some link to videos showing the different modes of pixel trace

The method I find the easiest myself is use a image editing application to add a alpha channel and all remove the background
    Then use alpha mode to trace

But the method you choose really depends on the image your working with and what you desired outcome is to be

Make The Cut - Pixel Tracing for a PNC

Make The Cut: Pixel Trace Part 1 - Pixel Tab Option

Make The Cut: Pixel Trace Part 2 - Alpha Tab

Make The Cut: Pixel Trace Part 3 - Palette Tab

Make-The-Cut: Pixel Trace Part 4 - Color Tab
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • 7dogs7dogs Member Posts: 13
    I have no idea how to use pixel trace.  I tried to read in manual but I'm not sure if there are steps and what in the world to do. LOL!  Any help on how to use it would be appreciated.  I like to think I'm not computer illiterate but when I don't know I will ask and if I ever learn I know from then on. 
    Liz_A, no, I'm sorry, don't know size. I've tried to pixel trace 3 times but not sure I know what I'm doing and I know how to tell when it's through. It looks right on Make the Cut but when I try to cut, it does the small little cuts and does not just cut like it is supposed to. Not sure how to explain that.
    @7dogs - Pixel Trace is relatively simple, if you don't overthink it! Start the process as described above, and in the first screen change the Threshold from the default of 127 to say 250. Then click Texturize Path (this includes the raster image in what you will get on the mat), then click [Apply Changes]. If you have only one blue line going all around the outer edge of your imported file and no inner blue lines or white space, then good! If not, then change 250 to 252 and click [Apply Changes] again. One blue line, no inner blue lines or white space? If yes, click Import, then Finish Tracing

If you go up to 255 and it then selects all of the imported file, and shows a rectangle shape, then the Pixel Trace is including the "white" space that is always there in a shaped jpg. By that I mean you see this when you view your image elsewhere:

But it gives you this:

Then back down to Threshold of 254, then click on [Apply Changes] then click Finish Tracing.

Now select the image as it is on the mat, then click the icon for Break (located on the toolbar at the bottom of the MTC window) or CTRL+B while selected. This separates all the inner shapes (see here)

from the outer shape.

The next step is to remove all those little inner shapes and just leave the outer shape for your Print and Cut - the inner shapes will want to cut and they will also not print the bits of the image underneath.

Expand the Layer on the right side of the screen by clicking on the plus sign. Scroll down and the very last shape will be the outer shape. You want to keep that and delete the rest. The easiest way is to click that shape in the Layer, then click the button below for Selection to New Layer. This puts that outer shape on a new layer. Then click the previous layer (has all the inner shapes) and press the red X on the Layer button. Voila...a project ready to finish.

If you are new to Make The Cut! or your cutter, you need to use the User Manual found here: http://www.iloveknk.com/0um/KNKZing/KNKZingwithMTCUserManual.pdf

The first 2 chapters are related to the KNK Zing, the rest of the manual is on how to use MTC with just about any cutter.
    PS If the image appears fuzzy on the mat, that is BY DESIGN. To see how it prints, File => Print Preview. Ensure you have selected the proper paper size, and positioned the image so that it will print on the paper size chosen. You can also change the Virtual Mat => Mat Configuration => Contrast instead of the default green colour. This shows the image as it is and not fuzzy as on the green mat. Its a memory usage thing.
    Liz_A, Crazy_Mr_Zing  Thank you both so much, after much frustration and SEVERAL tries, I think I have it.  I will let you both know.  Thank you!!