We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Silhouette Question

Hi guys,

I'm a long-time MTC used but I have a Lynx.  A friend recently bought a Silhouette and had a question about it...and because he hasn't registered with this site yet, I figured I would just ask for him.

As his machine stands, he can only cut 12x12.  If he used the MTC software, would that allow him to cut 12 inches in height by "infinite" in width?

Sorry for the basic question...I tried searching around for an answer but couldn't find one.

Comments

• bossie1bossie1 Member Posts: 678
    I cannot answer that question, but I do know that people use the 24 inch inch mat, and that Silhouette also has an attachment to put rolls of vinyl on, so "infinity and beyond" I cannot say..
    BUT is it a Cameo 3, From what I have heard the Cameo 3 will not work directly with MTC, you have to design else where and export into MTC. I have a 1 and 2 and  a SD, they all work great with MTC!! Hopefully someone with more knowledge will be by to help. Valerie
  • scdj1125scdj1125 Member Posts: 182
    His is an SD...so thanks for the info!
  • Little_BerryLittle_Berry Member Posts: 5,759

I don't believe the cameo will cut a full 12 inches in height due to the margin (you can get that from the specs in the handbook that came with the machine)

Also 36" sticks in my mind for some reason

You can load material without using a mat as long as the material has a backing (vinyl)

• RoyTRoyT Member Posts: 4
    You can cut from a roll on Silhouette i do it. so long is possible. There is a roll holder available online ebay amazon etc.
  • MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,039
    scdj1125 said:
    . . .  A friend recently bought a Silhouette . . . 

As his machine stands, he can only cut 12x12.  . . . 
    scdj1125 said:
    His is an SD...so thanks for the info!
    Are you sure his is an SD?  I ask for a couple of reasons - first - the SD was the first  Silhouette machine, it is no longer sold.  So, if he bought an SD, it would mostly likely be a used machine.  It was replaced by the "Portrait." Second, neither the SD nor the Portrait can cut 12x12.  So if he can cut 12x12 with it, he must have a version of the Cameo (of which there are now at least 3 out there, the original Cameo, the Cameo 2 and now the Cameo 3).  I believe (if memory serves me correctly - which might be in doubt ;) ) the MTC plugin will work with the SD, the Portrait and the original Cameo and I think the Cameo 2 but not the Cameo 3 and its dual heads.

With the MTC plugin - I also seem to recall that you cannot cut the full 12" width across - its slightly less then that I believe.  @Juliefes may be able to confirm on that.  However, as I recall - you can cut the length past 12" - if you use a mat - MTC will say something like being outside the mats range, and you just "accept" and it will cut.  What I don't remember is if there was a maximum length however.  Been too long since I cut on either my old SD or my old Cameo to recall I am afraid. If you friend is close, he could bring over the cutter to your house and you could try it out - simply download the Silhouette plugin and install it to cut to.  Otherwise, he could download the trial version and play with it.  Just remember, that it will cut "watermarks" into anything you cut while in trail mode.
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
  • scdj1125scdj1125 Member Posts: 182
    MeFlick said:
    Are you sure his is an SD?  I ask for a couple of reasons - first - the SD was the first  Silhouette machine, it is no longer sold.  So, if he bought an SD, it would mostly likely be a used machine. 
    He was in the market for a cutter and came across a Silhouette at Goodwill for $3.00 so he picked it up.  I haven't seen it, so I can't confirm if he's actually correct...although it's interesting that he said it could cut 12 inches.

His main problem right now is that it didn't come with an AC cord...so unless he spends $20 on ebay for one, he may just end up buying a new machine and remove the risk of running off a used one.
  • Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,203
    I've got a Silhouette Cameo - I'm not sure it will actually cut the full 12" width but definitely 11" and as long as your mat or vinyl if you have the roller addition.  MTC works a treat with it and I have cut quite long on the 24" mat.  The mat will take a 12" x 12" card which is where your friend might be under the impression that it will actually cut the full 12".  I can only suggest he tries to cut a slice of a 12x12 sheet to check.  You can get a 24" mat and the Silhouette will handle that without problem.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
  • littlebitkaylittlebitkay Member Posts: 143
    all of the Silhouette machines will cut at least 12" in length.   the first ones cut 8.5" x 12" Or at least that was the mat size.   the cameo 2 is the wider one that has the 12 x 12 mats.   hope that helps
  • MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,039
    all of the Silhouette machines will cut at least 12" in length.   the first ones cut 8.5" x 12" Or at least that was the mat size.   the cameo 2 is the wider one that has the 12 x 12 mats.   hope that helps
    The SD was the original machine and used the smaller mat. Even the original Cameo (which was the second Silhouette machine) uses the 12x12 mats not just the Cameo 2. They did away with the SD,  but then came out with the Portrait which also used the smaller mats and could not use the larger mats the Cameos did. Which is why I asked the OP which machine since she said it was an SD, but that it cut 12x12. That's not possible with an SD machine. It can cut 12" or more in length, but it is not possible to cut that wide.
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
  • juliefesjuliefes Member Posts: 4,844
    Cameo will cut a full 12" width from its native software, but will only cut up to 11.8 inches from Make The Cut. The Silhouette SD cuts up to 8" wide. I believe the maximum length of roll material such as vinyl without a mat is 39" using the Silhouette software. I don't think there is a length limit when using MTC. 
  • ahuntingahunting Member Posts: 648
    I have a Cameo.  I dont know about infinity but they sell 24 inch mats and will cut vinyl without a mat. I think Julie is right about the 39".

This discussion has been closed.