We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Using MTC for Printing and Color Changes

hwganghwgang Member Posts: 2,794
I've never printed through MTC before, but I wanted to try it for a particular file that I want to foil. Because I want to foil it, I want the color as black as I can make it. I selected black on the layer color options, but saw no on-screen changes. I printed and the design was perfect, but the color was not very black. More gray.

I have other programs I can use for this task, but I was trying to explore MTC features.

Thanks for any assistance.
Lynne Moderation in All Things should be Practiced Sparingly In KNK Love with my Zing, Eagle and the Support!

Comments

• leslie6111leslie6111 Member Posts: 2,310
    Did you have your virtual mat set to contrast?

• hwganghwgang Member Posts: 2,794
    @leslie6111 Thanks for your reply.

Not sure. I don't ever remember adjusting contrast on a mat. Where is the setting?
    Lynne Moderation in All Things should be Practiced Sparingly In KNK Love with my Zing, Eagle and the Support!
  • GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,321
    edited February 22
    @hwgang, You know you can change the color of the onscreen mat in MTC to green, blue, orange, etc, yes?  Well, one of those settings is Contrast.  When set to contrast the mat shows the colors of the shapes on it.
    aha. Thanks, @Gabe. I change the color of the mat fairly frequently, but never noticed that option before. Looks like a big improvement. Off to try printing.  I'll let you know how it goes. :)

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,295
    @hwgang - it really doesn't matter which mat you choose for printing, they will all print exactly the same, unless there is a major bug in MTC that has not been discovered yet. Not likely, and I use MTC for print and cut all the time, and I typically do use the generic green mat. If when you print the hue of black is not to your liking then I would suggest the remedy is at the printer level, not within MTC. Using the Contrast mat - the effect is purely visual.
  • Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,028
    I agree with Liz, make sure you set your printer to best format otherwise if uses less ink and does not give a good finish.  A bit wishy washy.  The Epson is notorious for not printing as well as it can as it often has it's setting for everyday use and not photo finish.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
    edited February 24
    That is true - using the contrast mat to see the colors will not change how the image will print.  It just makes it easier to visualize what's on the mat.  You can pretty much get the same thing by taking a gander at the print preview.  But if the mat is set to contrast, you don't have to do the extra step of looking at the preview.  Then again, sometimes you want to see the shapes with outlines only, etc.
    If you have a closed shape and do not change the color on a green mat then it will print out green - so that is why I always change the mat to contrast before printing. But I may leave the mat set to a color if I want to see overlaping layers.
    OK am not happy with the results, but they are useable.

I'm printing on a highly-rated Samsung laser printer. Yes, I maximized the quality of the printing. The foiling was just OK. The design I loaded to MTC was a jpeg. I could conceivably recreate from scratch in fancy fonts, but it would take a LOT of time to get it right.

I'll try using another program. 

Here's what I want to foil. This is the best sympathy message I've ever read. Says just what I want to say. 

I have found that some laser ink works better than others for foiling. With my new hp laser printer, the colored ink actually foils much better than the black even though I am using a good foiling machine to do the foiling - a foil master. You might want to try a different printer. The brother printer is suppose to have good ink for foiling.
    @hwgang - if your source file was jpeg it could be that there is a lot antialiasing which can have a negative impact on the printing. It is well worth it to start with vector text, not a jpg file, to get better quality printing. Just my two cents worth, based on a few years of experience (25). =)
    @hwgang - I downloaded your image and opened it...yup, lots of antialiasing. You can tell visually just looking at the image here on this post, its like it is not quite in focus. It is also a web image, and only 96 dpi. You want 300 at least for good quality printing on a laser printer.
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,552
    edited March 2
    Are you doing this in MTC as you plan on cutting it out after foiling or vice a versa ? if not i wonder if it would be easier in another application
    have you try print from another app to see if the printout from MTC is the issue

some printers have extra manual setting in addition those on the print setting screen to maximise the density of toner applied

I don't know a lot about this as I only just read about it as I'm currently learning about printing UV exposure masks for the production of  photoresist stencils for glass etching . and this require the black to be as dark as possible

is you samsung printer a colour laser as I read in some cases the black toner in colour lasers is a different makeup to that the toner in a black only laser of the same manufacturer
    and it that case the black printout from color lasers doesn't perform for foiling as good as black printout for a black only printer
    I have never done foiling so maybe this not correct at all

Try a google search of you printer manufacturer - foiling  or manufacturer - model - foiling

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,028
    I pulled your jpeg in, traced and outlined finely - not sure if this improves things or not but here it is anyway.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
    Thanks everyone. @Liz_A I've never heard the term antialiasing.

I bought this mono (black only) printer especially for foiling. I had a color laser printer. I haven't done much with this one, but I've had good results. I have 3 other printers as well. I'm not going to buy another printer even if I can never foil again.

I guess I'll try to recreate from scratch. Another month.

Thanks again!

@hwgang,  from the Webopedia:  In computer graphicsantialiasing is a software technique for diminishing jaggies - stairstep-like lines that should be smooth. Jaggies occur because the output device, the monitor or printer, doesn't have a high enough resolution to represent a smooth line. Antialiasing reduces the prominence of jaggies by surrounding the stairsteps with intermediate shades of gray (for gray scaling devices) or color (for color devices). Although this reduces the jagged appearance of the lines, it also makes them fuzzier.

Another method for reducing jaggies is called smoothing, in which the printer changes the size and horizontal alignment of dotsto make curves smoother.

Antialiasing is sometimes called oversampling.

For a more in-depth explanation with good graphic examples of what anti-aliasing does to fonts, see this article from the How-To Geeks:  What is Anti-aliasing and how does it affect my photos and images and scroll down till you see "Anti-aliasing and Typography".

And perhaps I am missing something, but if you know what font is in the example picture, you can download it, add it to MTC and retype the sentiment, which MTC will render in vector format.  Which would not have jaggies or become anti-aliased.

A picture says a hundred words: antialiasing:

I removed the white background for the most part so it could be more visible.

Vector text typically does not have aliasing applied.
    @Gabe is correct, any vector text will not have antialiasing applied.