We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Need help with repairing lines and merging

Hello,  Would someone please refer me to a tutorial or help me to learn how to fix the attached file?  I scanned two different documents to get all the shapes on one mat.  Next, I tried to join the pieces together.  I am having a few problems:
1.  Heart Outline.  There was some text at the bottom of the page when I scanned the document and it looks like this text was not readable (I didn't want it anyway) and it has split the outline for the shape.  How do I fix the line and move the nodes to make the outline for the heart?  I have no idea where to even begin to make these changes in the software.  I tried opening the "edit paths at node level" but, trust me, I am making it worse when I delete or try to move those.  I do not know what I am doing!!! 
2.  Merge.  How do I merge all of the pieces together so that there are no cuts where the shapes are joined?  I clicked the merge button but it does not seem to do what I need it to do.  Ideally, the whole piece should be green (except for the small heart piece, which should be cut out.  I would like to have heart with the leaves cut as one whole piece.
Thank you so much in advance for your help.  Can't wait to learn!
--Lisa M.

Comments

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,544
    It appear you file didn't attach
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • ljmatthews2ljmatthews2 Member Posts: 22
    Oh no! I think I forgot to attach the file!  Here it is...
  • leslie6111leslie6111 Member Posts: 2,307
    is this what you needed?
    Yes!  Exactly!  Thank you, Leslie!
    How did you do that?
    --Lisa
    edited February 8
    I used the pencil tool with cntrl key down to connect nodes where I could. But I usually find it easier to delete a segment or break a node in a shape so that I can erase parts of it and then reconnect with new straight lines with the pencil. You also had some overlapping lines that I deleted both with the node editing tool and breaking and selecting parts that were not needed. I have a lot of experience editing shapes.
    Thank you so much. You are definitely an expert.  I am amazed at how good your version is compared to my crappy original!  Haha  I really need to learn.  I have scanned 36 blocks and some have small things that I need to fix to get them to look like what you sent.  Is there a tutorial or something I can look at? I printed out some of the pages from the manual, but I didn't do so well.
    Please have a look at the pages in this file to see what I am talking about.  Some of the "out of place" lines are not very big, but I need to get rid of them and smooth out my design or my fabric will get ruined when I send to cut.  I need to make the outlines smooth without the gashes or notches in them. I really would like a tutorial or something (if there is one?) that can help me walk through the steps so that I can learn to do this myself and finish the rest of the blocks that I need to scan.
    They are like Hawaiian quilt patterns - you want them symmetrical? When you scan something in it doesn't come perfectly. If it is important, then I would work on 1/4 of each and then rotate and copy it to make new squares that are perfect. You have to zoom in close and use your node editing tools. It is good that you redrew your dashed lines at the bias. The manual is helpful, but I also would suggest the old watching the old webinars.
    edited February 8
    @ljmatthews2 Did you notic the user manual has link to video in most section also This page has links to short videos showing how to do most things http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    I've not watch them all
    This might be a good one LINK

Also this one Editing a Traced Image
    Post edited by Crazy_Mr_Zing on
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    Hi Leslie,  this is an example of the pages I am scanning.  You are correct, they are like Hawaiian quilt patterns.  I have been duplicating and merging but can't get rid of some of the lines.  

Hello Mr. Zing, thank you so much.  I will look at the videos.  I used to like to join the weekly webinars, I don't know if they still happen.  I haven't used the software in a while. :)
    edited February 8
    I looked close and if you are doing this in fabric and having your cutter cut them out, then they could do with some node editing. If you are hand tracing them on the fabric and cutting by hand then maybe you can print out a useable template from what you have already done. I redid the sixteenth square for you. You have so many of them it would take a lot of work to do them all. I tend to work on 1/4 of the shapes and make sure if I mirror it and merge the mirrors they come out more symmetric.  I have quilted a few Hawaiian fabric blocks by hand and I didn't need to all that accurate.  (sorry late at night for me)
    Allign and space is also useful for better lining up of the pattern edges before welding.
    edited February 8
    OH i forgot i was going to add this a lot of work can be saved by getting the best pixel trace you can

These are great videos on pixel trace they really help me with that
    as with all vimeo videos you can select download and save them for future reference
    Make The Cut - Pixel Tracing for a PNC

Make The Cut: Pixel Trace Part 1 - Pixel Tab Option

Make The Cut: Pixel Trace Part 2 - Alpha Tab

Make The Cut: Pixel Trace Part 3 - Palette Tab

Make-The-Cut: Pixel Trace Part 4 - Color Tab
  • pixelpusherpatpixelpusherpat Member Posts: 262
    @ljmatthews2 Some smoothing can also be done by sliding the eraser carefully along a line so it flattens.  Also, with the node editor, click a section, find the end of it and Rt clk/delete node.  Doing this a few times on fractious lines levels them out.  I also redo many scanned in pixel traces which have too many nodes or jaggies.
    edited February 8
    Please note if you use the inverse eraser, you are adding more nodes and not less. I find it better to break a node on a closed shape and use the eraser to take out large sections and then with the pencil tool with ctrl key pressed so I get straight lines, redraw the lines. These lines have just 2 nodes. Then I can use the node editing tool to recontour the lines. If I want to make some daughter shapes bigger, then I would break the shape and shadow those daughter shapes and sometimes even move them around before I rejoin everything. Everyone has there own methods to fix pixel traced images. Sometimes it is just best to pixel trace the whole image as a texture and use that as a template to redraw everything by hand with the pencil tool. Andy has demonstrated that method on more than one webinar. It is quite useful for making your own silhouettes out of photographs. I find you only get better by doing it yourself - as the old saying goes - practice makes perfect.
  • GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,319
    @ljmatthews2, some time ago I downloaded a video that Andy made called Basic Node Editing.  In it he shows how to get started with node editing in MTC.  I don't recall where I found it, but I uploaded it to my Facebook group.  If you join the group, you can download the file.  Here's the link to the group, if you are interested in checking it out.  Make-The-Cut and Popup Card Studio
    edited February 9
    Thank you, everyone, so much for helping me.  I am looking at the videos this morning and practicing!  This group is awesome!

Update:  It is 7:40pm in Southern California.  I have been working on my blocks all day long after watching all of the videos you posted.  I learned a lot today and I have completed 36 blocks... all clean!!!  I can't even describe how thankful I am for your help! :)
    Post edited by ljmatthews2 on
    I not sure if this will help
    you could try in a image program to fill the pattern with black then your only tracing around the outside of the shape