We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Draw a dashed line

Hello,  I need some help, not sure if this function is available in MTC.  I want to draw a NEW line and make it dashed.  This will be used as a placement line in my shape.  I know how to convert an existing line to a dashed line.  I would like to "draw" a completely new line and be able to change it.  Is this possible?  Thank you so much in advance.

Comments

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,806
      I would like to "draw" a completely new line and be able to change it.  Is this possible?  Thank you so much in advance.
    As long as you don't attach the new line to a open node of existing shape
     you can change the new line to dashed

that said sometime for alignment purposes it easier to attach to a open node and the use the node tool to break the node - then do a break the select the line and change the style to dashed

also what do you mean by "This will be used as a placement line in my shape" will this line be cut or not cut
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • ljmatthews2ljmatthews2 Member Posts: 22
    Hi "Crazy Mr. Zing"!, Thank you so much for responding to my post.  I will be using this pattern for quilting.  I would like to have the line cut as dashed so that I can use my finished pattern and align it to my background fabric.  I am attaching the file I am working with.  The line shown - I want to create a new line, dashed with settings:  Dash - .15, Space - .23.   The line imported from the scan is not solid and I do not know how to fix it, so I thought I could draw a new one but I can't seem to figure out how.  
    edited February 7
    Ok this is how i would do it

1] Select the pencil tool
    Hold Down CTRL (This force the pencil to draw a straight line) Click

2 -3] click on the end point and drag to the other end point

4] Select the arrow tool

5] select the line and change the line to the desired dashed setting

If you can't manage here is the  file Sarah Blocks Added Dashed LIne.mtc
    Post edited by Crazy_Mr_Zing on
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    Thank you.  I will do that!   :)
    This software is the best and this group is awesome and so helpful.  Thank you so much.
    There away another way in MTC you need not have traced the dashed line in

Although this method it a little involved and works because your dashed line is at 45 degrees and centred

1] if you select the fleur de lis shape on the tool bar it displays
    the W 4.9188" and the H as 4.8742"

If you bring in a rectangle for the basic shape and set the W 4.9188" and the H as 4.8742"

select the rectangle and the fleur de lis shape press S to stack them

select the node edit tool and
    left click the top line of the rectangle and delete
    left click the right line of the rectangle and delete
    left the left side the rectangle then right click of the yellow hightlited node at the top end and select connect to nearest node with line
    Now select and delete the remaining left side line and delete and bottom line of the rectangle and delete
    That leave the diagonal line to chance to dashed
    I tried the first way you described and it worked!  I learned something new today! Thank you! :)  
    I just feel uncomfortable eyeballing . I think its termed OCD
    I keep have to remind myself I'm designing something to be cut from card rather the a part for the space shuttle
This discussion has been closed.