We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

tracing a photo

I found an excellent video that Sandy M made all about manual tracing.
I cannot get my photo suitably imported so that I can work on it. Old posts indicated that an actual photo could not be imported as a photo, has this changed?  I see that it can be done in inkscape,,, I like MTC and do not want to learn another program!

David
I took the Short Bus to school because they told me it was "Faster".

Comments

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,483
    What file type is the photo
    If you just want to bring the photo in in full try this
    in pixiel trace using the pixel mode set the threshold to 255
    it also helps if you can reduce the photo to a more manageable size
    as there no point importing a huge photo from a camera to print and cut it at 5 x 7"

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • SawdustSawdust Member Posts: 290
    edited February 6
    I will give it a try thank you!
    @Crazy_Mr_Zing  Look at that! Brilliant. 
    A whole new adventure, I am making sandblast masks. The husband of a workmate is a  war medal collector, he asked if I could recreate one of his medals. I am going to give it a shot.
    Thank you.
    dc
    edited February 6
    do you know what war medal it is

there might be a public domain image either svg or png
    Post edited by Crazy_Mr_Zing on
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,303
    edited February 6
    @Sawdust, this may not apply in this case since the photo is of a medal and not a person, but Andy covered using the Color Scans feature in the March 26, 2013 webinar.  For those who have been struggling with making a cuttable image from a photograph of a person, this is a very helpful feature.  He mentioned it here:

http://forum.make-the-cut.com/discussion/31660/make-the-cut-version-4-6-1/p1

Scroll down until you see the section title; Gray Scale "Color Scan" Trace Option

And the Vimeo showing him demonstrating this technique (starting right around 51:20 into the webinar) is here:

• SawdustSawdust Member Posts: 290
    @gabe @Crazy_Mr_Zing Thank you for the choices! I have tried them both,,,, Not there yet. Would either of you be willing to give it a go? I tried the manual trace which is awesome but I do not have enought skill for this one. I think there needs to be some artistic discretion involved, I have none. The greyscale I just cannot make it work, Andy makes it look so easy. If someone is willing I would pm you the photo that I have. 
    In the end this will end up sandblasted onto a piece of marble and stained.

David
    edited February 10
    I'll have a go if you send the file

do you know the name of the medal
  • leslie6111leslie6111 Member Posts: 2,253
    edited February 10
    MTC imports whole photos just fine for me. To add you might want to set your virtual mat to contrast. Also You need to click on textureize path while going up to 255 on the threshold. At 255 blackout can be checked but really unnecessary. If you don't click on texturize path then all you get is a solid black square shape. Sometimes if I do not want to hand trace, then I edit my photos in a photo editing program in order to remove the background. Then it is very quick to do a good single color trace as long as the photo is large enough. Small thumbnail sized photos are not really good for tracing - not enough pixels even if you resize them larger - they are too grainy.