We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Silhouette Releases ModelMaker Software

Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,479
edited February 4 in Off Topic
Just yesterday Silhouette Released a new software package named Silhouette ModelMaker
It allows you to design a 3d model and then create a template including folds and glue tabs you can cut then fold up into the 3d model
It is based on fablab by Aspex software
(I think Silhouette acquired Aspex a while back)

You can cut on your Silhouette CAMEO, Curio or Portrait directly from ModelMaker or you can export as an SVG file

The trial version allows you to use Silhouette ModelMaker for 15 minutes, but will not allow you to save your designs. Download Page

The licence cost is $50USD which to me seems a little high but I guess that depends on how much value you get out of it

I think Google Sketch and one of the unfolding plugin works better

http://blog.silhouetteamerica.com/2017/02/silhouette-modelmaker

http://www.silhouetteschoolblog.com/2017/02/silhouette-modelmaker-tutorial-beginners.html

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
Post edited by Crazy_Mr_Zing on

Comments

• leslie6111leslie6111 Member Posts: 2,253
    Thanks Paul. I took a look, but it is awfully limited. You cannot weld shapes together it seems. It is almost easier to do the designs manually in MTC. It is just another 3d program I can't get my mind around.
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,479
    edited February 4
    Yes Leslie I tinkered a little since and found it very limited I could not see a way of welding

I found 3D software did my head in too but I made a point of learning sketchup and it did become easier I downloaded a video course which helped a lot
    Visualising 3d on a flat screen takes some brain power

It's all @Di-lite fault she put up a complicated half a pentagonal dodecahedron  exploding box and silly me I thought designing is 3d would make working out angles of the sides easier ?
    My last intention was to design a 5 sided dome lid box like this in 3D then unfold it into a cutting file although i did manage it I sort of lost interest and got sidetracked  after the succeeded challenge of conquering sketchup

Post edited by Crazy_Mr_Zing on
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 6,842
    Thanks for making this post! It'll be interesting to see if the programs expands based on user feedback... we all know that we always need more, right?  :)
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Air
    Need help with your KNK? Visit this link: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    KNK / MTC Videos: http://bit.ly/1kmAcoO
    Latest KNK / MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
  • jesprattjespratt Member Posts: 32
    It looks to me like the templatemaker site will let you easily design 3D things of nearly every imaginable shape and what ever size you input, with fold lines and glue tabs included - and its free!
    Yes templatemaker.nl is excellent and seem to be always increasing
    Actually I always thought software that works the opposite way would be useful
    So you could simulate folding a svg into the finial product
    I only know of one software the has the feature and that a Professional packaging design suite name Esko ArtiosCad its hugely expensive

@kb25t17 ; What is the software your using I get to tinker with most design package at the university computer room
    My issue is just lack of practice and motivation and remembering which way x , y and z is
    Most software is quite intuitive once you use it a while, at first if can seem quite foreign 
  • tuicarlostuicarlos Member Posts: 82
    @Crazy_Mr_Zing I'm out! I don't use Pop Card Studio but I think that it's much better than Silhouette MoldelMaker. However, as @SandyMcC said: "we all know that we always need more, right?" and I loved this phrase!
    This is a different concept to PCS it allows you to create a basic 3d shape the create a template for example a cube to a 6 side box template
    I agree we always want software that will do a little more than is currently does
    at present this seem to be only able to create a separate template of each individual 3D shape not one of a number of 3d shape fused

For model making I guess this it fine although for paper modelling I think would choose Pepakura Designer but it require the 3D design to be made in other Software

I was viewing it a box template maker which it probably was not intended to be

The are quite a number of training videos on Youtube for Fablab

• leslie6111leslie6111 Member Posts: 2,253
    Model Maker will cost $50 to get the license. I would only see one reason to pay that for this software - if you could use it at as s pass thru to convert sil files to svg. It was not intuitive, could not weld shapes and only unfold preset 3d shapes.
  • kb25t17kb25t17 Member Posts: 277
    I am using Ironcad. Great software, and it is very intuitive to use. They have all the online tutorials you will need posted on youtube. Free 30 day trial!!!! I believe the student pricing is only $124.00. You won't have any trouble with X,Y,Z with this program as it uses a unique global axis feature called the Tri-Ball to move things around. It is such a clever device, no other program has anything like it.

This is my dealer friend's link to buy it. If you do decide to buy the student version, tell him Karin Corbin sent you :)   http://www.tecnetinc.com/STUDENT%20VERSION.html
  • PaperZenPaperZen Member Posts: 210
    I've just learned about Sil's Model Maker software and was happy to find this thread here to hear about the pros and cons. 

@Crazy_Mr_Zing Did you ever re-visit your 5 sided dome lid?

@kb25t17 That castle is some wicked brain candy! Does your CAD software help you create glue tabs too?

I use Adobe Illustrator and love making 3D items too. Here's my latest - a 3D cactus and terra cotta pot that's perfectly circular, and holds treats with a locking tab. Somehow I don't think Model Maker would be up to this challenge!

Cecelia

Not I haven't revisited the domed lid box . I got sidetracked and sort of forgot .
    Loss my mojo lately

I think i tinkered doing 3d with AI for a short time
    Also Tinkered with Ultimate Papercraft 3D it basically unfolds 3d models

Those succulent boxes look great
  • nannan Member Posts: 440
    How does it compare to Pepakura?
    I think the Pepakura is superior but to be fair both pepakura and Ultimate Papercraft 3D require the 3d design to be done in another application

I think it would pick Pepakura over Ultimate Papercraft 3D as I found it's easier to use
  • Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 2,925
    Love the cacti - they work a treat.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
  • craftyladycraftylady Member Posts: 167
    Wow, you guys are so far over my head I am drowning but I love that we have such intelligent people on this forum, and I LOVE the cactus design. Do you sell your files?
  • MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 8,932
    @craftylady - it appears that PaperZen, who created the cactus sells files via an Etsy shop found here: https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/PaperZenShop?ref=listing-shop2-all-items-count#items
    (No connection, have never purchased any - just found link via an older discussion)
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
    edited March 26

PaperZen said:

@kb25t17 That castle is some wicked brain candy! Does your CAD software help you create glue tabs too?
    Cecelia

@PaperZen ; The castle does not have any glue tabs on it. I designed it to fold up without them. The program does not automatically design anything for me and I don't need it to do that since I know where and when I need such things and would not want to have the machine think for me ;) When working with very small scale buildings glue tabs are not usually needed for strength. In addition when they fold around the thickness of the cardstock coming around a corner and going beneath the adjacent piece makes things offset too much so it is best not to use glue tabs. The only time I use them on the tiny buildings I make (which in the micro size typically range in height between 5/8" high to 1-1/4" high) is when they are not going to be visible at an outside corner intersection. There are only 3 glue tabs that got used in the set of buildings in this photo. Those were on buildings # 45 and #46. You can see how they go together on the blog where I have posted the assembly directions for the kits. http://glitterhouses.blogspot.com/2016/10/tiny-village-2016.html

Wow they are rather amazing
    I'm all thumbs when I fold big stuff not sure if I'd even attempt the micro stuff
  • Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 2,925
    Those are exquisite.  What a rare talent
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
    Wow they are rather amazing
    I'm all thumbs when I fold big stuff not sure if I'd even attempt the micro stuff
    A few simple tools can make all the difference when folding very small pieces.
    You support the bend lines. If you were making a big box out of metal you would be supporting the bend lines while folding on them. So you just take the concepts of how flat pieces are supported while folding and use that knowledge but do it with little tools.
    http://glitterhouses.blogspot.com/2014/03/tips-for-folding-tiny-pieces.html