We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

How to Cut a Heart String [Resolved]

CharoCharo Member Posts: 552
edited February 3 in Resolved Issues
Help!  I cannot think how to make the heart cut out in connected loops like this?
Member 30818
Post edited by Gabe on

Comments

• leslie6111leslie6111 Member Posts: 2,310
    edited February 1

I actually cut it out of paper so that I had a guide. I stacked some hearts of decreasing size. Then I reconnected the path between them so they would cut as a strip.

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,552
    edited February 1
    Its not to difficult to Create Shape spirals use the nested duplicate function and a little trick

But Spirals in heart shapes is a little tricky as the nested duplicate are no concentric ( the gap is not the same all the way around
    unless you duplicate using shadowing  then the gap is the same but eventually the shape look less like a heart
    compare left duplicate by shadowing (gap the same)  to right duplicate by scaling (gap varies)

This is the method I used the scaled nested duplicate

1] Select a heart for the gallery or another source

create a nested duplicate
    select - by scaling
    a 0.25" gap will give a median strip width of about 1/2"
    This will make more sense at step [6]

2] change the view to outline on the main tool bar
    position the centre point of the hearts on a horizontal grid line

3] Use the knife tool and use the gride as a guide cut across all the hearts

4] select no snapping
    select the arrow tool and then use the left arrow keys to more the still selected bottom half of the hearts until the lines line up with the next line one the left of the top heart

5] like this zoom in so you can get close as possible

6] Select all join do a fuse and weld (set the tolerance quite high to ensure everything is fused

do a split
    you should now have 2 spirals either discard , drag to the side for now or more to next layer and hide

7] not you need to close the end
    use the pencil to draw a open node (1) to a point very colde but not crosing the path (2)
    If you don't want a heart shape base at the other end to the same and (3) & (4)

You could use the node edit and the bezier curve handles to add a curve to the line

Post edited by Crazy_Mr_Zing on
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • CharoCharo Member Posts: 552
    @Crazy_Mr_Zing  You are amazing!!!  Thank you very much for the detailed instructions.  I got as far as the nested duplicated hearts but would never have figured out the remaining parts.  You did such a detailed instruction I am adding it to my increasing "how-to" folder.  
    Member 30818
    Well I don't think I would have got past nested duplicate either I saw how to do this quite a while ago and thought it was that ingenious so It went in my note book
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,296
    Bryan and Julie have demonstrated this technique on several different shapes over the years. Wanting to do this is what inspired the spiral tool.
    Got it done!  Very clever trick.  I had a bit of trouble separating the two opposite spirals but I got it done by selecting the ones I wanted, then joining them.  Being a fairly new user (just over a year now) I still think MTC is an amazing program no matter if there are never any more updates, as long as it is supported of course.
    Member 30818
    edited February 1
    oops I thought I fix that mistake up the are not opposite wound just have different start and finish point

you should end up with 2 separate spiral shapes if not my guess would be some point didn't fuses when you did the weld and fuse

after you do the fuse and weld hover over a line and all of the spirals should highlight
    if not there will be node that didn't fuse
    if you have a few that didn't fuse you can join then with the node edit tool (join to nearest node)

after you do the split only the spiral hovered over will highlight

when you move the bottom half sideways ,
    turn off snapping and zoom in so you can get the alignment a close as you can (at maxium tolerance the fuse and weld will only fuse point the are within 0.05 inch if each other ) ,
    when you do the fuse and weld slide the tolerance slider all the way to the right (0.05")
    -----
    you could skip the fuse and weld also do this manually use the node tool to select the end node and join to nearest node , A bit tedious if you have many turns

@Crazy_Mr_Zing  Another lesson learned.  Thanks how I did it....separately joining each segment but I didn't know how to tell if the fuse and weld worked.  I just thought it NEVER worked as it usually says there is nothing to fuse.
    Thanks so much.  You always take so much of your time to post wonderfully detailed explanations, which have helped me a great deal.
    Member 30818
    I think fuse and weld will only fuse points within 0.05" apart and they also need to be part of the same shape which is why you need to perform a join before the fuse and weld  
    @Crazy_Mr_Zing I started over and got it done, just exactly as you described.  Had to zoom really big to see the problem!  I am still thrilled to know a use for fuse and weld as I really thought it didn't work.  LOL.
    Member 30818
  • leslie6111leslie6111 Member Posts: 2,310
    fuse and weld works, sometimes you have to join the parts before using fuse and weld. It is sure a time saver.
    Not such a time saver for me sometimes as my old laptop the I use everyday often crashes using fuse and weld so I have to start up the more powerful PC
    such a effort spinning my chair around to the other desk LOL

Fuse and Weld appears to quite resource intensive
    It think it a good idea to do a save before attempting it
     more so if your design of large or intricate